www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:05   #1
HeAvYfUeL
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Fuelly signature --->
Default 2013 Volkswagen Beetle TDI: This toy is diesel-powered

http://www.washingtonpost.com/cars/2...2df_story.html
HeAvYfUeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 08:35   #2
dieselyeti
Veteran Member

What amazes me about the Beetle, is that it's now available as a convertible *with* a diesel. Never thought I'd see that in the US.

I was diesel when diesel wasn't cool...
dieselyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 09:51   #3
joeelmex
Veteran Member

Yeah I almost bought one, but decided to go with the Jetta instead. If I ever traveled with my 2 girls and they had to ride on the back seat, there is not much room there.

Maybe once they go to college, that will be my next car .
joeelmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 10:04   #4
jbright
Veteran Member

I'd love to test drive the new Beetle TDI. They seem to be in short supply at the dealership (only on the showroom floor). Never any mention of them here by members who own one, if anyone does.

Last edited by jbright; March 4th, 2013 at 10:06.
jbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 10:16   #5
kennethsime
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51 Best

I used to dream about putting an AHU into a Cabrio. This seems about as close as I'll ever get, but haven't gotten to test drive one yet. I'm surprised they brought this over too though. Would love to rent one for a drive up the coast.

Ventectomy | Billstein TCs | Audi TT LCA Bushings
IDParts.com|DieselGeek.com|Bora Parts
kennethsime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 10:43   #6
DickSilver
Veteran Member

The writer says that the Beetle beats the Golf, among others. Highly subjective! However, for me the Golf beats the Beetle with the same drivetrain, because the 4 door version of the Golf permits a much more sane use of the back seat. Yes, I know that in the Fifties and Sixties we all crammed ourselves plus our friends or our children into the original Beetle without a second thought. Folding the seats forward to load the back seat was a normal inconvenience. Eight years ago, I sold my 1999 New Beetle TDI only because I had sufficiently enjoyed the reincarnated Beetle and was already fed up with 2-door access to the rear seats.
DickSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 06:02   #7
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

My daughter would love a two door Golf and that's my constant arguement towards the four door. With the two door, your always fighting things in and out of the back seats. With four doors, it's much easier and the car is the same size. I owned my beetle for ten years, through car seats and teenagers. I knew when my daughter was mad at her friends because she made them ride in the back. Some of her friends were twice her size. I would love a convertible now but with helping pay of college loans and starting the second one in the fall, I'll just have to live with the JSW for a few more years.
Old March 5th, 2013, 14:15   #8
Zapkat

I've got the new Beetle TDI! Picked it up on Groundhog Day in a raging storm. You're right though, there aren't too many around. When we talked to the dealership mid January, he said there were only 7 on the ground in all of Canada. We were lucky enough to get one, and I have to say I LOVE this car! I had a '73 Super Beetle Sport in the 80's and was really looking forward to having another.
Zapkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 15:41   #9
frugality
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~41mpg winter, ~45 summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickSilver View Post
The writer says that the Beetle beats the Golf, among others. Highly subjective!
The Golf was/is the World Car of the Year.

I just got the latest Consumer Reports, and they were kind of *meh* about the Beetle....a little cost-cut and not as high-quality as expected.

The Golf really is the better car. But the Beetle is the right choice if you really want that Beetle character.

frugality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 15:48   #10
frugality
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
My daughter would love a two door Golf and that's my constant arguement towards the four door. With the two door, your always fighting things in and out of the back seats. With four doors, it's much easier and the car is the same size.
I've been half-considering a Golf, and have been debating 2-door vs. 4-door.

I don't like the way wind is directed into my ear in my JSW. It hits the chunky B-pillar (the side structures were beefed up considerably compared to my old 2000 Golf) and directs the wind right into my ear. So I was leaning toward the 2-door because the B-pillar is farther back.

However, there's a downside. Get in a Beetle or a 2-door Golf, and reach for your seatbelt. It's way back there, because the B-pillar is 6 inches farther back. Yeah, there's that seat-side loop thing, but it doesn't work quite as well. With my JSW or a 4-door Golf, the seatbelt buckle is right there on the B-pillar next to your shoulder.

In a side impact, I'm not sure which is better. Both have side curtain airbags. But behind that is either glass (2-door) or sheet metal (4-door.)

I think the 2-door Golf should technically be quieter, because it has only 2 doors and 2 sets of window seals. The lack of doors and the fixed windows make for less places for wind noise to come in.

On the other hand, 2-doors have a higher liklihood of sagging. That was the case on early Mk6 2-door Golfs.

Old March 6th, 2013, 06:31   #11
Trooper81
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 72 MPG Record for 00' TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post
On the other hand, 2-doors have a higher liklihood of sagging. That was the case on early Mk6 2-door Golfs.
unless the new one is built weaker, my 2000 NB TDI doors don't sag a bit even if i hang off them.

Trooper81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:58   #12
cevans
TDI Parts Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:

However, there's a downside. Get in a Beetle or a 2-door Golf, and reach for your seatbelt. It's way back there, because the B-pillar is 6 inches farther back. Yeah, there's that seat-side loop thing, but it doesn't work quite as well. With my JSW or a 4-door Golf, the seatbelt buckle is right there on the B-pillar next to your shoulder.
We figured this issue out - reach DOWN for the belt, not up, you'll find the belt much easier to get.
Old March 6th, 2013, 07:53   #13
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
I think the 2-door Golf should technically be quieter, because it has only 2 doors and 2 sets of window seals. The lack of doors and the fixed windows make for less places for wind noise to come in.

One of the biggest complaints I got from the kids in the back of my 2000 Beetle was not enough airflow. If they could have put the windows down, that would have cured it. Another reason I like the four door better. Of course on the convertible, I guess the back windows do go down.

In 140K miles on the beetle, I never had an issue with door sagging.
Old March 6th, 2013, 15:52   #14
BlueBugTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49,43,38. 340,000+ miles

Maybe it's just me but I test drove a used 2012 JSW with the thought of passing my 2000 NB to my wife. The problem is that I do not fit in a JSW! Being 6'1" and having long legs, my knee was smashed into the Y of the center console. have not drove a redesigned Beetle yet, no local dealers, but I still can sit in my current NB and spread out like I'm in my favorite easy chair. Bummer! Hope that the Golf 7 Estate comes to the states and has more leg room.
BlueBugTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 16:59   #15
frugality
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBugTDI View Post
Maybe it's just me but I test drove a used 2012 JSW with the thought of passing my 2000 NB to my wife. The problem is that I do not fit in a JSW! Being 6'1" and having long legs, my knee was smashed into the Y of the center console. have not drove a redesigned Beetle yet, no local dealers, but I still can sit in my current NB and spread out like I'm in my favorite easy chair. Bummer! Hope that the Golf 7 Estate comes to the states and has more leg room.
I design auto interiors for a living, so I notice stuff like this more than most folks.

I think there has been a design change that was driven by side impact standards. In my Mk4 Golf, my left knee would rest against the door trim, but my right knee was plenty far away from the center console.

In my Mk5/6 JSW, I'm no where near touching the door, and my leg is constantly rested up against the center console.

I believe VW shifted the driver's position 'inboard', to keep the occupant farther away from the door and improve side-impact ratings. Putting more of a buffer between you and sheet metal....and the other car's bumper that is trying to shove into it. To have a 5-star crash rating is a big thing for the automakers.