www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old March 2nd, 2013, 04:37   #1
Cerberus

TDI(s): 1999 Jetta
Question Radio anti-theft code won't work

I have a 1999 (early model) Jetta TDI. After having to disconnect the battery for some work I find the radio code will not work. I am entering the right code as I have done many times before but it only returns to SAFE and after 2 tries you have to wait an hour to try again. I'm stumped.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2013, 05:51   #2
jellendc

This worked on my MK4, not sure about yours but it may be worth a try. Got the tip from a fellow forum member...

Pull out fuse 42 and 37 from the drivers side door fuse panel, with the key in the on position. This will reset the radio
jellendc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2013, 14:42   #3
Cerberus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellendc View Post
This worked on my MK4, not sure about yours but it may be worth a try. Got the tip from a fellow forum member...

Pull out fuse 42 and 37 from the drivers side door fuse panel, with the key in the on position. This will reset the radio
Thanks for the info. However my fusebox is different having only 22 fuses, no. 22 is for the radio. Tried pulling it out but still no change.
I appreciate your attempt to help. Thank you.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 23:24   #4
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Coming soon

Are you sure the code you have is correct?

It seems as though you are using the correct procedure but the radio is not accepting the code since it is locking down after entering the code twice.

Double check the 14 digit serial number on the radio card to the serial number on the radio.

If they do not match, the code is wrong.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 03:51   #5
vwa1
Veteran Member

When all else fails, i find that beating the @%$%$ of something with a 12lb sledge hammer is at the very least satisfying, if not always the most productive. You may want to save this method as a last resort.
vwa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 05:52   #6
joetdi
Veteran Member

I've had radios that would not take the correct code and never got them working.

You may want to try a full discharge and try again though.
joetdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 04:52   #7
Cerberus

Fixmy59bug: I'm sure it is the right code as I have it written on the visor and have used it many times before.

joetdi: Full discharge? Do you mean disconnect the battery and try again? I've already done that and no luck.

vwa1: Your hammer method is looking better all the time, I only have an 8 pound sledge hammer but I think that should do the trick.

Thanks to all.