vnt 15 actuation without computer

wyoranch

TDI
None yet
The electronic one is way over my head. I'd love to buy one but I'm not patient enough to learn the amount of.computer knowledge.required to pull it off

wyoranch

TDI
None yet
Yeah, when it comes to.Cummins motors. This.is my first.small diesel, I know nothing about turbos this small. I understand what will work at different power levels on motors 3x this size. But I don't know how to read a compressor map. So yeah, I know how to tell if a Turbo has excessive play, how to pipe a set of twins, etc. But I'm not afraid to ask for.help.when I'm out of my comfort zone though. So thanks for.being a smartass

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
The electronic one is way over my head. I'd love to buy one but I'm not patient enough to learn the amount of.computer knowledge.required to pull it off
its pretty easy to do once it wired (that is easy too)
you have a target boost map (z-Axis) that is RPM (x-axis) vs TPS (y-axis)

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Easy there newbie. If you don't want to play nice head back over to the vortex. When questions are asked everyone learns. I would say that knowledge level of reading turbo maps is the same as the OP yet I've been around diesels a very good portion of my life.

mac11

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Passat
Easy there newbie. If you don't want to play nice head back over to the vortex. When questions are asked everyone learns. I would say that knowledge level of reading turbo maps is the same as the OP yet I've been around diesels a very good portion of my life.
do you feel better about yourself because you post more on an internet forum than others?

Reading a turbo map is not hard, but its the basics of "knowing about turbos." just knowing they spin and to look for shaft play on a used unit doesn't mean you know ****.

Theres a lot more to it than "its a similar size engine." Thats how your blow **** up.

Want to learn?

http://turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/choosing_turbo

Good luck.

wyoranch

TDI
None yet
As a matter of.fact, I don't want to learn. Eventually maybe, but right now I have my hands full with other things. I have a lot of Fab work to do as it is, busy with kids, etc, that I don't want to spend a lot of time learning some specialized information when there are nice knowledgeable people here who know a lot about motors of this size. I may buy a tdi soon, if I do ill definitely want to delve into it more. For now I need to find a suitable Turbo for my application and VW guys know.there stuff with small turbos. I never said I.was a Turbo expert, but I have a good general knowledge of them. When I said that I know turbos I was saying I know how to check play, smoothness, blade condition, etc so I knew this Turbo was in good shape. Take it in context. If you have nothing useful to say please don't post here. Thanks. As for everyone else, thank you for helping me out.

wyoranch

TDI
None yet
Opening the vanes at low throttle is very counterproductive.

Yeah, that's why I came here, I've seen lots of threads on how people did it, most have different information and make compromises. I want simplicity. And this isn't ever going to be a high performance motor. I have my Cummins for going fast. I want 120 reliable HP with low egts and a relatively quick spool if possible, I would accept longer spool for reliability and lower egts. This truck will be my work Truck around the farm and daily driver to work 40 miles each way. Mileage is my goal, not hp

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
do you feel better about yourself because you post more on an internet forum than others?
No and that wasn't the purpose of my comment either. My point simply was that being a smart a$$ does nothing to this post nor to this forum except bring it down. The OP came here asking for relevant advice. I spend more time here than on the vortex because of the general positive attitude expressed by members here. :rolleyes:

Back on topic....

Simplicity for your application is a WG turbo. Something small. Jimbote has a turbo but I'm not familiar with it. Does kubota offer your engine in a turbo version? Curious about your exhaust manifold options.

wyoranch

TDI
None yet
No, the 2203 was never turbocharged to my knowlegde. All kubota Turbo motors I've found are idi, the di are left n/a for whatever reason. I haven't seen any different exhaust manifold, pretty good flowing design by the looks of it. I can just Fab an adaptor or drill new holes in the flange of whatever Turbo I use. That shouldn't be a problem. Also, can anyone see the pics that Jim posted of my Turbo? They aren't showing up for me. Its a little dirty, I didn't really clean it up. So it looks like I'm in the market for a wastegated Turbo for my motor. Looking for a trade if anyone wants a good hard to find, super rare, valuable euro vnt15 lol

wyoranch

TDI
None yet
That's not too bad, my only concern would be egts being as I'm gonna be close to the Max HP on the graph. I wonder how the temp would be with load at 3000 rpm

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
That's not too bad, my only concern would be egts being as I'm gonna be close to the Max HP on the graph. I wonder how the temp would be with load at 3000 rpm
I guess that depends on your fueling...the turbo can handle 1700 degrees according to the chart ...maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in...

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
You're going to using an intercooler, correct? Being that's it's a mechanical engine without an LDA you're going to dial in the fuel screw on the pump some, right? Install an EGT gauge pre-turbo and a boost gauge and then play around some with the fuel screw to find that "sweet" spot between haze and acceptable EGTs.

wyoranch

TDI
None yet
Yes, intercooler is already installed in the truck. Its pretty small but i figure it should be big.enough. . Ill send a pic to jim to post if he doesnt mind. Pyro and boost gauges coming, Pyro will be pre Turbo. May have to add a little more fuel, probably so.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
I don't have any direct experience with your specific Kubota diesel engine but I've had numerous Kubota diesels over the years from little 2 cylinder models to 4 cylinder model units. They're pretty robust engines from my experience and you don't see many "projects" coming up- that says something. I think if you keep the boost and fueling moderate, you'll be fine.

Back in the day when Banks and others like ATS were getting into the aftermarket turbo market they added low boost to otherwise factory stock engines. Many of them went hundreds of thousands of KMs after the mod. We had a couple way back. Non-LDA /enrichment pumps have their limitations but if you're looking for a moderate increase in power, leaning more towards economy I think you're in business.

Now enough talking already.... let's see some pics!!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Nice Intercooler.... Probably the perfect size for the project.