www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old February 11th, 2013, 10:52   #1
harunbiswas@clayton.edu

TDI(s): 2013 TDI SEL
Default My 2013 Passat TDI SEL starting problem

Hello Forum Members:

Please tell me if any of you have any trouble of starting the new 2013 Passat TDI SEL. Past a several days I am having trouble with starting the car. It wont start at the first push button. It will start after five to six times hitting the button. I am taking it to the dealer. I think that it may be a disel system problem. I only have 7000 mile on it.

I love my car so far but untill this starting problem. Also one day my radio will not stay on for a long time. It was cutting off. It does not do anymore.

Hope I do not have to return my car due to the engine start!!!

Any response would be appreciative.

Thanks,

Harun
harunbiswas@clayton.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 13:20   #2
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Have you tried pushing the brake in harder? Some have said they need to do this to get it to start after sitting for awhile.
Old February 11th, 2013, 13:35   #3
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Fuel Economy: see signature

There is a forum dedicated to the 2012 & 2013 Passat with a ton of information.

Does your dashboard say anything when you attempt to start and it fails?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 14:02   #4
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Coming soon

Harun,

How cold is it where you are?

How long is the delay before you press the button again?

Is the glow plug light on when you are pressing the button?

With the Kessy system, the vehicle will not start until the glow plugs have gone through the heating process (if needed).

I have experienced a few times a delayed start and the first time it freaked me out as well.

What I usually do now is get in the car, push the brake pedal, touch the starter button, then buckle my seat belt.

By that time, the glow plugs have done their thing and the car starts automatically as soon as the light goes out.

Give this a try and see if maybe that is the delay you are talking about.
Old February 11th, 2013, 15:11   #5
Softrockrenegade
Veteran Member

Push start in a car with glow plugs is both confusing and stupid for anyone unfamiliar with diesel vehicles .
Old February 11th, 2013, 15:15   #6
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softrockrenegade View Post
Push start in a car with glow plugs is both confusing and stupid for anyone unfamiliar with diesel vehicles .
On the contrary - it prevents those unfamiliar with diesels from starting the engine without first waiting for the glow plugs.
Old February 11th, 2013, 15:22   #7
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

^^^agreed...
Old February 11th, 2013, 15:25   #8
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softrockrenegade View Post
I disagree.

As VeeDub said, it is actually quite helpful and beneficial to the engine.

Think about this scenario for a bit.

It is 20* outside and the driver jumps in and without thinking about glow plugs starts cranking the engine. As the engine is cranking, it is injecting fuel which is being wasted because it is not starting.

If the driver had waited for the glow plugs (or the car refused to crank until the glow plugs were cycled), the car would have started almost instantaneously.

It's not stupid or confusing if the owner would just read the damn manual. Why is it so hard for people to do this? They chunk down $30k plus of their hard earned dollars, but don't bother to read the damn book that tells them how everything works.

THAT is stupid.
Old February 11th, 2013, 15:40   #9
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

To be fair (just for the sake of it), the manual does contain a lot of conflicting or just plain wrong information.
Old February 11th, 2013, 17:27   #10
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
To be fair (just for the sake of it), the manual does contain a lot of conflicting or just plain wrong information.
On that note, why in the world doesn't VW remove the diesel info in the manual and add a supplementary Diesel manual?

The manual is poorly written at best, with smatterings of diesel only info peppered throughout. Very confusing.

I personally dont see the benefit of a pushbutton start, but if I were a newb diesel owner that hadnt RTFM and was having a delay on cold mornings I would probably think there was an issue.

psd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 06:29   #11
rustycat
Veteran Member

Actually, this raises a pet peave: Why didn't VW throw a copy or part of a copy of the manual on the Hard Drive in the RNS510. And, while I'm at it:

Does anyone have a source for DVD shop manuals for the B7/NMS? I've searched the web and found nothing.
rustycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 06:37   #12
afarfalla
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harunbiswas@clayton.edu View Post
Hello Forum Members:

Please tell me if any of you have any trouble of starting the new 2013 Passat TDI SEL. Past a several days I am having trouble with starting the car. It wont start at the first push button. It will start after five to six times hitting the button. I am taking it to the dealer. I think that it may be a disel system problem. I only have 7000 mile on it.

I love my car so far but untill this starting problem. Also one day my radio will not stay on for a long time. It was cutting off. It does not do anymore.

Hope I do not have to return my car due to the engine start!!!

Any response would be appreciative.

Thanks,

Harun
did dealer fix problem
afarfalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 11:02   #13
Canuck64

I was told by my dealership to hold the button down until it starts. Is this wrong, or does not really matter either way?
Old February 12th, 2013, 11:04   #14
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Wrong? It doesn't help, not sure if it hurts anything. A single stab starts the process...which we now know, in the cold, is a bit delayed.
Old February 12th, 2013, 11:52   #15
Jarrod B
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 Jetta S

All I do is press the foot brake and press and release the pts button. On colder days I've
Noticed a sec delay on the crank which I'm guessing the glow plugs
Are burning. But I'm also in Texas lol.
Jarrod B is offline   Reply With Quote