www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old February 10th, 2013, 06:53   #1
rbartson00

Default Kerma Tunes

i recently purchased a 2006 jetta tdi with dsg automatic trans with 77k miles i dont rely know much about these cars i just got a good deal on it and wanted the mpg
but my real question is i want to put a tune on it but i dont want to send out my ecu. so i was considering the q loader from kermatdi. i was just wondering if its worth the price? and how are there tunes?

http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/the-...04-pls-/Detail
rbartson00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 07:35   #2
joseluis.17g
Veteran Member

Most tunes are the same, there are several tuners specialized in Diesel engines like Kerma, Malone, rocket chip etc etc.
If you want to pay less, instead of purchasing the tune loader, you could rent a flashzilla for $50 dlls. With Malone tuning
Or find a dealer that's close to you
Old February 10th, 2013, 07:42   #3
rbartson00

i like the loader because i can also make it back to stock but what stage should i do with everything else stock? and i dont want to kill the tranny
rbartson00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 07:43   #4
LNXGUY
Veteran Member

TDTuning might be another tuner you should look into.

'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Custom tuned by Mike @ TDTuning.com
LNXGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 08:54   #5
eddie_1
Veteran Member

You can now get an original flasher for the Hobbyist only $250, now being sold out of CT on ebay but maybe shipping from Europe. Alientech Powergate. I think the Q loader is actually based on this one. Then you still have quite a bit of money left over for a tune. This is really a brilliant flasher, has recovery options and original tune is on the loader at all times. Alientech is top notch.
'03 Jetta Wagon TDI, 150mph, 188BHP - 365 lbft, 170WHP Smoke free German Map, VNT 17/22, 11mm IP, 02M DRW 6speed, OMI, Lower IC pipes,FMIC, PD Lift Pump, 3bar map, ARL Sachs Upgraded/DMF, PP764s, CCV Filter, EGR delete, PD150 Intake, PD150 SRP, 2.5" DP with Magnaflow Cat & 2.5" Catback, R32 DSG Snorkel, PD150 Airbox/MAF, Custom Accordian, Ventectomy,Front/ Rear Fog, Euroswitch, 5 brake light mod, McNally EGT/Boost Gague, Scanguage II, thermometer, Hidden Hitch, LED tail lights, Koni Reds, Depo Proj
eddie_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 09:50   #6
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Drive to Red Lion, PA and see Rocketchip. Having a Tuner actually lay his hands on your car beats the heck out of mail order....

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 19:41   #7
diesel4ever
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.2/4.8/5.5

I've had Kerma tune on my ALH and BEW cars. All positive experience and the beauty is the lifetime support. On my ALH I have few tunes I can choose from (low smoke, all out power or original).
Old February 10th, 2013, 23:40   #8
Biodezl
Veteran Member

RocketChip has been my tune of choice for two vehicles. What worked well for my Passat was to pick up a used ECU from car-part.com for $150 and have it reflashed to work for my vehicle. I asked the salvage yard to give me the VIN of the vehicle the used ECU came from and I got the 4 digit CAN security code from my vehicle with an appropriate ODBD reader. I probably shouldn't go into too much more detail here (there are a few other threads on this), but I gave Jason both VINs, the used ECU, and the 4 digit security code, he made me a plug-and-play ECU. I keep the original ECU untouched in case I want to go back to stock configuration such as when I sell the vehicle. However, no ECU swapping was needed when I took the car in for a smog check because of how he does the reflash.

2005 Passat Wagon TDI Silver
1999.5 Golf GLS TDI Automatic Green
Biodezl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 15:20   #9
loudspl
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 ASV

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_1 View Post
You can now get an original flasher for the Hobbyist only $250, now being sold out of CT on ebay but maybe shipping from Europe. Alientech Powergate. I think the Q loader is actually based on this one. Then you still have quite a bit of money left over for a tune. This is really a brilliant flasher, has recovery options and original tune is on the loader at all times. Alientech is top notch.

Q-loaders are Alientech

Most of the ones out there are simply plated with the tuner's logo. Never had a problem with any of the loaders I used

As for tuners, any of the previously mentioned work great. All are reputable
02 Jetta, SBC IV+, 81mm ASV110, H-beam rods, TT springs, monster cam, Whitbread fabrications, B5 oil cooler, EaBP110, B&M ss, FueLab Prodigy pump, Giles 12mm/DE143, HFLOX 5 x 0.013, remote progressive NX nitrous, 6-blade billet BatMo, Bilstein PSS9, BFI 85a duro
70 Charger R/T 500 A727 TorqueFlite

loudspl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2013, 13:11   #10
eddie_1
Veteran Member

Since somebody asked me I want to clarify. With the Alientech Poweregate S (self programmer) series there is a slave version and a master version. I believe the slave version allows tuners to resell the loader and lock it but the master version allows you to upload tunes from any tuner. They are both the same price usually. The Master is then for the Hobbyist and allows you to upload any tunes and store altogether 3 (incl. orig) on the tool at any time. The Master is locked to one car and is released for another car when the car is returned to original. However there are folks able to unlock the 1 car restriction for about 200 in Germany. The good thing about the tool is that it also carries out checksum and checks the validity of everything automatically before upload to ECU.
Here is a website in England selling both for example. Make sure you order 'Alientech Powergate S Master':
http://alientechsales.co.uk/products...te&pcategory=s
The upload/download tune to tool software is nice to use and is at following called 'PWGpro':
http://www.alientech.to/xnote/sw/con...wg/pwgdwl.aspx
'03 Jetta Wagon TDI, 150mph, 188BHP - 365 lbft, 170WHP Smoke free German Map, VNT 17/22, 11mm IP, 02M DRW 6speed, OMI, Lower IC pipes,FMIC, PD Lift Pump, 3bar map, ARL Sachs Upgraded/DMF, PP764s, CCV Filter, EGR delete, PD150 Intake, PD150 SRP, 2.5" DP with Magnaflow Cat & 2.5" Catback, R32 DSG Snorkel, PD150 Airbox/MAF, Custom Accordian, Ventectomy,Front/ Rear Fog, Euroswitch, 5 brake light mod, McNally EGT/Boost Gague, Scanguage II, thermometer, Hidden Hitch, LED tail lights, Koni Reds, Depo Proj
Old February 25th, 2013, 19:20   #11
loudspl
Veteran Member

If the goal is DIY maps, it might be better to just dump the EDC15/16/17 and Powergate box then upgrade to Nira i7r ECU..

Maybe not so easy install...but looks much more capable
02 Jetta, SBC IV+, 81mm ASV110, H-beam rods, TT springs, monster cam, Whitbread fabrications, B5 oil cooler, EaBP110, B&M ss, FueLab Prodigy pump, Giles 12mm/DE143, HFLOX 5 x 0.013, remote progressive NX nitrous, 6-blade billet BatMo, Bilstein PSS9, BFI 85a duro

Old February 27th, 2013, 11:40   #12
darkhorse
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid 40's

Back to the original poster: Yes, the Kerma tune is worth the price. To be fair, so are the others. A good tune is your best buy in performance enhancement.
'06 Golf GLS 5 speed, Evo skid plate, Koni FSD's with Shine RSS, SBC stage 3, SMF, KERMA custom tune, R 32 snorkel,PD 150 airbox,MAF,TIP & manifold, K3B,R 783's, Colt stage 2, EJ SMIC, piping by ID Parts, Whitbread 2.5" DP, Aero muffler, 3"KERMA SS pipes, Sigma 5 short shifter, .681 5th gear & Peloquin, Nicktane 1 um fuel filter & DG/Amsoil bypass filter.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 04:38   #13
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: low 38, high 61, avg 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudspl View Post
If the goal is DIY maps, it might be better to just dump the EDC15/16/17 and Powergate box then upgrade to Nira i7r ECU..

Maybe not so easy install...but looks much more capable

That looks pretty sweet.. Only issue I see over here is if you're going to use this on a street car, state inspections in emissions states will be a deal breaker unless they build it to support OBD2 readiness.. I doubt it since they are a Swedish company..
Old February 28th, 2013, 04:59   #14
eddie_1
Veteran Member

Also one of the goals of DIY maps may be to learn the winols software or one of the more widespread packages, so ideas can be exchanged more readily or Damos files could be shared. Also, EDC17 is really not a bad ECU.
Old February 28th, 2013, 18:47   #15
loudspl
Veteran Member

The future of tuning might be DIY maps on some kind of HUD w/ real-time analysis

Limits defined so users can't exceed known/discovered operating parameters of selected hardware. Tuner liability minimized?

There's this little gadget too:

Skynam