www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old February 5th, 2013, 09:46   #1
rooney77
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Beetle
Default 1942 Willys MB rock crawler build

First off, this will be a long term build. Basically, finances/research will determine the timeline.

History: I bought this 42 MB for $200 as a non-runner next to a barn. After getting it home I realized that the tub/fenders/hood/grill were the only things not GPW. Most of the bolts even had the F script. The grill was an early slat grill. I took all the GPW parts and the restoration valuable parts and sold them to the resto crowd. The floor was beyond shot so I chopped it all out knowing I'd design the entire floor around the drivetrain. I first started building it with a 4.3 and typical parts then got the v8 bug and tried to put a Bronco 302 in it, had 60's and 38s ready to throw under it. Well life happened and I had to sell all the parts off, I refused to sell the body.
Once that happened and we moved, I bought a CJ5 and got it wheelable and damn near daily driveable. So now that I've got a working rig I've decided to pursue my dream rig.

Plan: I'll be putting a 2000 ALH in it with a t176 4 speed transmission and an np231/dana300 doubler. This should put my final drive ratio around 150:1 with the 4:10 gears in the axles. It will also put the motor in the correct rpm range at 70mph for highway use. Axles will be 44/9 combo, full hydro steering, street legal, 4 link and 3 link suspension on 36's.

Well as it is right now, I've built a new frame, acquired the axles and drivetrain. I'm waiting on my HPA AX15 kit so I can get things positioned to make the motor mounts. I'll have to go through all my pics and get them loaded on photobucket so I can update the thread with the good stuff....pics.
rooney77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 11:05   #2
rooney77
Veteran Member

More info on the motor plans. I removed the entire wiring harness from the beetle and plan to reuse almost all of it in the willys. Just makes sense to me to use a harness with fuses/relays/layout already done. I also kept the pedals, seats (heated seats in a topless jeep...SCORE), column and gauge cluster. All to be reused, hopefully.

The intake will be modified by whitbread to be shorter and still retain the ASV. I can't wait for the used one I got from here to come in so I can get it shipped off to him. It's gonna have to be modified for hood clearance.

I have asked here several questions with images but will repost images just to have all the tech in one place.

I just organized most of my pics, enough to hit the high points and hopefully get everyone caught up. Now I need to get to the house so I can upload them to photobucket and post them all here.

Last edited by rooney77; February 5th, 2013 at 11:11.
Old February 5th, 2013, 14:47   #3
rooney77
Veteran Member

These pics are basically in order. If you have any questions feel free to ask. There are too many pics to make comments on all of them.

Old February 5th, 2013, 14:52   #4
rooney77
Veteran Member

Old February 5th, 2013, 14:54   #5
rooney77
Veteran Member

Old February 5th, 2013, 14:55   #6
rooney77
Veteran Member

And that pretty much catches you. As I said, I'm still waiting on the HPA kit to be able to move forward with engine mounting but I've got some other odds and ends I need to be working on. Like getting the doubler done.
Old February 5th, 2013, 15:17   #7
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

So very cool. Subscribed.

So you've changed directions on your mounts and aren't going to fab them yourself?
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 15:25   #8
RonJitsu
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting this up! The pics all look great and give us a good idea of how to get started. You make it look easy!
RonJitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 15:31   #9
rooney77
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeker View Post
So very cool. Subscribed.

So you've changed directions on your mounts and aren't going to fab them yourself?
If I could find prefab side mounts that would work, I'd be all over them. I plan on using 300D bushings and fabbing the rest. I found a waterjet place here in town (middle of nowhere East Texas) so that gives me a little more freedom on shapes....it'll have to do until I get my plasma cutter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJitsu View Post
Thanks for posting this up! The pics all look great and give us a good idea of how to get started. You make it look easy!
I really appreciate that. I've been dreaming about this build forever but it wasn't until right after xmas that I really got going on it. Well the TDI part. I started everything else back in the summer before my shop got built. Sooooo much nicer working in a shop as opposed to a 2 car garage.

For what it's worth, this is my first major project. Most everything else I've done has been small projects and resto's.
Old February 5th, 2013, 16:00   #10
AWPGTI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1985 Jetta

This is outstanding.... I'm hooked
Old February 5th, 2013, 16:31   #11
rooney77
Veteran Member

Yes it is. Especially when you throw in the fuel mileage aspect. I'll get my rock crawler and hope to get 30+ mpg.

When it's all said and done I'm hoping to be below 3k on weight but would live with anything less than 3500lbs. That would help a bunch.
Old February 5th, 2013, 16:31   #12
Alchemist
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 Golf

This is looking great, keep up the good work.

One point to consider is alternator drive. If I understand the diagram correctly, you are planning on running the alternator CCW. This could cause problems due to the one way drive pulley. Changing to a solid pulley is possible, but it may stress the tensioner. It is one of the little details that make any swapper crazy.

Paul
Old February 5th, 2013, 16:43   #13
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

An answer you didn't get in your pirate thread : you can't delete the small coolant line coming off the back of the head. Just connect it to the hard line (return to the water pump) and you'll be fine. Also, you just need to find a 15psi rad cap and you'll be fine to remove the vw coolant globe.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 17:12   #14
rooney77
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
This is looking great, keep up the good work.

One point to consider is alternator drive. If I understand the diagram correctly, you are planning on running the alternator CCW. This could cause problems due to the one way drive pulley. Changing to a solid pulley is possible, but it may stress the tensioner. It is one of the little details that make any swapper crazy.

Paul
Ya I had discovered that the pulley was one way. I'm not sure what I will do to keep the power steering up high yet eliminate the compressor. As you can see in one of the pics, the compressor is basically trying to live in the same space as the front axle. I've been toying with adding an idler pulley out to the side to take up the slack but I want to get the shorter "non-AC" belt so that the idler can be tucked in as much as possible. Still gotta find a source for an idler I can make a bracket for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeker View Post
An answer you didn't get in your pirate thread : you can't delete the small coolant line coming off the back of the head. Just connect it to the hard line (return to the water pump) and you'll be fine. Also, you just need to find a 15psi rad cap and you'll be fine to remove the vw coolant globe.
I had pretty much planned on doing that anyway since I wasn't sure of the water paths through the head. I figured better safe than sorry. Adapting all those different size and material hoses is going to be interesting to say the least.
Old February 5th, 2013, 17:31   #15
rooney77
Veteran Member

Hey AWPGTI, this website will help you tremendously when picking transmissions, tcases, tire sizes and axle gearing.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html