www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old March 9th, 2002, 21:50   #1
tongsli
Veteran Member

Default Foglight wiring: OEM-style

Hello all,

The final diagram:

tongsli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2002, 22:02   #2
tongsli
Veteran Member

Default Re: Foglight wiring: Euro-style

What I do know so far:

The wire for the fog lights goes into the hole on the right, #2- top row.

The wire connectors to use look like this:

Close-up: connector and wire with wiring seal

The relay #53 can be placed under the dash or inside the engine bay.

The relay plate looks like this:

A detailed shot:

Relay plate parts:

Euroswitch wiring:

[ March 09, 2002, 21:09: Message edited by: tongsli ]
Old March 9th, 2002, 22:33   #3
tongsli
Veteran Member

Where I need help:

I have a few ideas about where to take power from, but I'd like to use the same Ignition-switched power that the OEM headlights use as well.

So, where is this power located?

I know that this connector on the left will also fit into the fuse panel. (Position #3, with a 5amp fuse)

From power to the fuse panel, then to the Euroswitch;

From the Euroswitch to Relay #53, then to the headlamps and ground

Will this setup kill the fogs when the high beam lights are turned on?

Here is the diagram on Relay #53. I am guessing at the location of each component.

Is this correct?

Thanks,

Lito

[ March 09, 2002, 22:00: Message edited by: tongsli ]
Old March 10th, 2002, 07:09   #4
Birdman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 summer 50 winter

All you have to do is tap into the wire that suppies the power to the Low beam power. Icould come down on a slow day and help.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2002, 07:14   #5
VW Vet
Veteran Member

Here is a question for you: Is there an empty socket in the relay panel for a foglight relay? If so, maybe it gets power when you plug it in.
There is a place on my fuse panel for fogs. Maybe you could run your wires to these locations and have it pretty close to a stock installation.

[ March 10, 2002, 07:48: Message edited by: VW Vet ]
VW Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2002, 09:06   #6
MOGolf
Veteran Member

From the Bentley diagram 60/2 in the latest manual, there is a relay socket (#4) in the relay panel for the front fogs. You could put the wires depicted above in that socket (there shouldn't be any there now) and it would look more like factory installed than having a loose relay somewhere.

"30" is the connection to the foglamp
"87" is the connection to "NL" on the headlight switch
"86" is the connection to fuse 3, the other side of which connects back to headlight switch position 16 "58". Through the headlight switch, this connection gets power from the load reduction relay (100). You can directly tap to this (but it won't be switched with the headlight switch) by attaching to the threaded connection labeled "75X" on the bottom edge of the relay panel.
"85" is the connection to the dimmer switch "56" position 4 of the headlight switch.

Your diagram has swapped "30" and "87".

(This is according to the Bentley diagram. I make no claims to accuracy.)
MOGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2002, 18:45   #7
tongsli
Veteran Member

Ok, I think I figured out how to make this relay work.

MOGOLF, I will now look to see if what you read in the Bentley's Manual works with what I've figured out.

The only question is:

If I use the power supply for the Low Beams, will it also kill power to the fogs when the high beams are activated? It seems to work in my simulation

Thanks,

Lito

[ March 10, 2002, 18:33: Message edited by: tongsli ]
Old March 10th, 2002, 19:16   #8
Michael Moore
Veteran Member

Lito:

The problem with wiring the foglights up as you propose (using the power supply from the low beams) is that you will be unable to use the foglights by themselves, meaning, with the Euroswitch in the parking light position. This is how you would normally want to use them in heavy fog, without either the low beams or high beams operating. This is how the European Golfs function.

The North American cars are wired as you suggest, with power coming from the low beam lights. Remember, though, that the North American cars are not supplied with a Euroswitch (light switch that enables the parking lights only). So the problem of not being able to operate foglights with the headlights off does not exist.

Wish I had seen your thread before I left Zurich today, I would have got you a European wiring diagram.
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2002, 19:20   #9
tongsli
Veteran Member

LOL! Thanks Michael. I think you've got enough work helping out SVTWEB. This is small potates compared to the Nav system. But I will think about how to run the fogs with city lights next

Ok,

The MOGOLF info works too and makes sense to me.

Now, where does the fuse go? I suppose it's possible to have TWO wires coming from the fuse panel. (the connector from the relay or fuse panel are the SAME)

Revised Diagram:

[ March 10, 2002, 18:25: Message edited by: tongsli ]
Old March 10th, 2002, 19:32   #10
tongsli
Veteran Member

Ok,

It's really simple.

All you have to do is provide a jumper wire from the city lights wire on the eurowitch, to the Relay #53(position 86 "power").

That way, when the headlights are on or off, the fogs can be turned on.

Power(for the foglights) is always supplied by the Relay 100 through the switch. You are simply controlling relay #53 with either power from the headlamps or citylights.

I will post some directions for proper wiring of foglights as soon as I finish them.

Lito

[ March 10, 2002, 18:46: Message edited by: tongsli ]
Old March 10th, 2002, 20:13   #11
tongsli
Veteran Member

Here's the diagram, pic and directions to follow.

L [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old March 10th, 2002, 21:38   #12
tongsli
Veteran Member

Michael or Eric,

can you guys look to see if I add a wire from the rear fogs to the 32-pin Instrument Cluster connector, will there be an icon on the OEM cluster? The Bentley's manual shows an indicator light on the cluster, but I'm not sure if it'll light up.

Eric, is there a pin on the OEM cluster for this indicator light?

Thanks,

Lito
Old March 10th, 2002, 23:48   #13
tongsli
Veteran Member

Can someone with the EUROSWITCH wiring diagram, please check these pin assignments?

I am using Wiring Diagram No: 17/4 Golf/Jetta on page 97-157.

Thanks,

Lito
Old March 11th, 2002, 00:00   #14
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Actually, power for the factory front fogs is via the ignition switch through fuse 36 through the headlight switch (Xr - #2). Then out through NL (#8) to the relay 87, out 30, to the fog lights.
You should just have to attach a wire from NL to the relay (based on what I see on my Golf), wire from relay to fogs. The control side of the relay is wired to the city lights and high beam circuits according to the Bentley. When the high beams get turned on, it is no longer a ground path for the control of the relay and thus the relay opens.

As for the indicator, it depends on the cluster used. Early A4's had the LED in them; others have not. Replacement MFA clusters have them. This indicator is meant for the rear fogs, but it doesn't really matter. It is pin 14 on the left side connector.
MOGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2002, 11:01   #15
tongsli
Veteran Member

MoGolf, thank you for the info. I think I'm really close to understanding how to get this done.

If you'll indulge me a bit more...

Quote:
Actually, power for the factory front fogs is via the ignition switch through fuse 36 through the headlight switch (Xr - #2). Then out through NL (#8) to the relay 87, out 30, to the fog lights.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I haven't looked to see if Xr -#2 Physically goes into the fuse panel at #36, but there does seem to be a wire in the switch harness.

If Xr does go to the fuse panel, then there is no need for an additional fuse after the relay and as you say, 30 from the relay can feed the fogs.

Quote:
The control side of the relay is wired to the city lights and high beam circuits according to the Bentley.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If this is true, then the "city lights" or amber front turn signal lights are always "hot" no matter what position the Euroswitch is in, right? This makes sense because the turn signal stalk is AFTER the Euroswitch.

For example, you can still control the front "city lights" as turn signal lights when activated by the turn signal stalk. So, they must be powered at the Euroswitch all the time.

Now, the question is, how does one connect the power from the city lights(at the switch) to the Relay #53? I don't have my Bentley's at work, but if there is a location on the switch that is "open" or assigned to Fog light relay#53 what is that location? Is it the SAME circuit for 58R & 58L?

Quote:
When the high beams get turned on, it is no longer a ground path for the control of the relay and thus the relay opens.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If this is true, then there MUST be an "open" pin location that can serve to keep the relay closed, breaking the path for either power(86) or ground(85) This pin location is probably connected to the "city lights" circuit. Any ideas?

Quote:
As for the indicator, it depends on the cluster used. Early A4's had the LED in them; others have not. Replacement MFA clusters have them. This indicator is meant for the rear fogs, but it doesn't really matter. It is pin 14 on the left side connector.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, I guess I need to borry someone's OEM non MFA cluster to fool around with the harness and see just what lights up? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If we have the indicator light in the cluster, then it's simply a matter of finding the correct location to connect to the Euroswitch.

Thanks,

Lito