www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old July 5th, 2013, 09:03   #16
josh8loop
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG City with the previous 01M, 5-speed 60+ MPG City. Always searching for ways to make it better!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkscout View Post
I'm thinking of ordering enough to do all my lines. It seems flexible enough, any reason not to just do the whole system in this?

The Teflon lines I have added are working superbly. They are super clear and hold up to heat and chemicals really well. Actually Teflon is inert to most chemicals and can take extreme temperatures. It can be a bit expensive but just doing your inter-injector lines, your return line from the injectors to the IP, and perhaps from the fuel filter to IP wouldn't hurt a bit. One thing to watch out for is that some of the lines they specify as "clear" aren't really that clear so make sure you are certain before you get it ordered. The tubing and SS clamps I specified above should work well.
Now have Nokian Entyre Low RR tires!
josh8loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 18:49   #17
Hyde7278
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Golf GL

Subscribed
Hyde7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 17:52   #18
drklawz

Default Any updates?

Hey! - Any updates? I've been thinking about doing this swap while I have the injectors out.

MB
drklawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 13:36   #19
josh8loop
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG City with the previous 01M, 5-speed 60+ MPG City. Always searching for ways to make it better!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drklawz View Post
Hey! - Any updates? I've been thinking about doing this swap while I have the injectors out.

MB

Yes, actually working perfectly. So well in fact, I'm considering doing the same when I replace fuel injector return lines on the Wifes 2005 E320 CDI
Old February 3rd, 2014, 01:13   #20
Bjar

Fuel Economy: Was 48 mpg in 2001, now is 42 or so

I have a few questions about the pinch clamps,

http://www.mcmaster.com/#52545K38

What tool do you use to crimp these? Can you use the same tool that you would use for Pex plumbing cinch clamps?
http://www.pexuniverse.com/store/cat...ex-clamp-tools
The pinch clamps you used look almost exactly the same as Pex cinch clamps, just smaller.

Or is this tool from McMaster-Carr the only appropriate tool?:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#pinch-clamp-pincers/=qj3by7

Would there ever be a need to remove the Teflon return hoses, and if so, how in the world do you take the pinch clamps off? Can you safely twist them off with vise-grips?

Last edited by Bjar; February 3rd, 2014 at 01:20. Reason: Adding hyperlinks
Bjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 13:00   #21
Votblindub
Veteran Member

How is that so CLEAN!? o.0

Sprint 520 Nozzles, 2.5 inch catless mufflerless BuzzKen exhaust, Malone stage 3 chip, 01M, Frostheater Full details
Full details
FB page for wagon lovers I have VAGCOM/VCDS
Votblindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2014, 13:48   #22
MrSafety
Newbie at Heart

Fuel Economy: ~35 mpg "as was" when purchased TDI
Default A4 Jetta TDI Clear Teflon Fuel Line/Injector Return Line Upgrade...

josh8loop,
First let me compliment you for this THREAD and its many quality closeup photos!

My question(s) have to do with the Quick-Disconnect "elbows" you show:
Q1 - Are these OE parts?
Q2 - If not can you tell me your source for these ?

I'm working on my Son's 2002 TDI trying to replace the two 8mm fuel lines between the fuel filter and the rigid fuel lines coming up from below into the engine compartment... the ones that have quick-disconnect "elbows" that clip to the rigid fuel lines!

I purchased OE part 1J130295/A/D/E for only this elbow fitting... only to find it is too small to fit on the end of the rigid lines... so I'm mainly looking for an alternative source for these OE fittings on which I believe the internal O-rings are worn failed and now allow air to be sucked into one or both the fuel lines... a problem I'm sure you are all too familiar with!

I like your original project's intent to install a clear section of fuel line just prior to the IP and and will complete the same on his 2002 TDI soon!
Regards... and thanks again for you QUALITY POST !,
Sam Ross
Working on way for DIYers to more fully FLUSH 01M trans as well as check/"top-off" the O1M Fluid Level.
Perform diesel purge without ingesting troublesome air !
MrSafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 20:12   #23
dremd
Veteran Member

Wow.
Wish I had seen this before my swap. I would have done it then for sure.
2014 JSW (Went back to VW) Emissions? Well, about that . . .
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 09:08   #24
josh8loop
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjar View Post
I have a few questions about the pinch clamps,

http://www.mcmaster.com/#52545K38

What tool do you use to crimp these? Can you use the same tool that you would use for Pex plumbing cinch clamps?
http://www.pexuniverse.com/store/cat...ex-clamp-tools
The pinch clamps you used look almost exactly the same as Pex cinch clamps, just smaller.

Or is this tool from McMaster-Carr the only appropriate tool?:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#pinch-clamp-pincers/=qj3by7

Would there ever be a need to remove the Teflon return hoses, and if so, how in the world do you take the pinch clamps off? Can you safely twist them off with vise-grips?

Yes, you should be able to use that tool or just use some end cutter wire cutters to crimp them like I do. Should you need to remove anything you can either gently wiggle the teflon hose/clamp assembly off the barb or preferably cut the SS clamp off and replace it later.
Old June 5th, 2014, 09:21   #25
josh8loop
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSafety View Post
josh8loop,
First let me compliment you for this THREAD and its many quality closeup photos!

My question(s) have to do with the Quick-Disconnect "elbows" you show:
Q1 - Are these OE parts?
Q2 - If not can you tell me your source for these ?

I'm working on my Son's 2002 TDI trying to replace the two 8mm fuel lines between the fuel filter and the rigid fuel lines coming up from below into the engine compartment... the ones that have quick-disconnect "elbows" that clip to the rigid fuel lines!

I purchased OE part 1J130295/A/D/E for only this elbow fitting... only to find it is too small to fit on the end of the rigid lines... so I'm mainly looking for an alternative source for these OE fittings on which I believe the internal O-rings are worn failed and now allow air to be sucked into one or both the fuel lines... a problem I'm sure you are all too familiar with!

I like your original project's intent to install a clear section of fuel line just prior to the IP and and will complete the same on his 2002 TDI soon!
Regards... and thanks again for you QUALITY POST !,
Sam Ross

Yes, these are OE components on the quick disconnect elbows. Review post #1 for my source of those. Remember those quick disconnect elbows have two O rings in them and a brass separator ring. Those O rings can be replaced with Viton O rings. The O rings are difficult to get out and you need to be careful not to pick them too hard with a pick tool otherwise you will damage the internal sealing surfaces. Also getting the brass separator ring in the correct spot can be difficult too. Purchase some Hylomar sealant like this from Autohaus AZ next time you place an order there and coat the mating/sealing surfaces of all fuel connections:

https://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...mber=559526007

I've used that stuff for all my fuel line connections-fuel filter Tee included and the results have been very pleasing. The Hylomar is also diesel and related fuel additive compatible.
Old June 21st, 2014, 18:40   #26
MAXRPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 mpg driving like a granny on HWY-5 from LA to SF

nice write up need to do mine sick and tired of replacing the oem injectors fuel lines. got to get this
Old October 15th, 2014, 08:32   #27
josh8loop
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8loop View Post
Yes, actually working perfectly. So well in fact, I'm considering doing the same when I replace fuel injector return lines on the Wifes 2005 E320 CDI

Just wanted to update. I have finished doing this on my wifes 2005 E320 CDI about 4 months ago. It looks really nice and works extremely well. My ALH with this mod is still working and looking great as well which is to be expected since it's a permanent fix. Just wanted to post feedback after the few years that I have had this mod in service
Old August 25th, 2016, 14:48   #28
panthers89fan90
Veteran Member

I hate to dig up a grave here, but had a few questions.

I see you did the lines from the hard line to the fuel filter as well. What clamps do you use for the hard line portion of the fuel hose?

Also, I don't see an o-ring on the fuel quick disconnects. Where is this o-ring located?
panthers89fan90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 19:49   #29
josh8loop
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthers89fan90 View Post
I hate to dig up a grave here, but had a few questions.

I see you did the lines from the hard line to the fuel filter as well. What clamps do you use for the hard line portion of the fuel hose?

Also, I don't see an o-ring on the fuel quick disconnects. Where is this o-ring located?

The spring clamps I used are the same stock clamps used on the rubber lines that go on the fuel filter. I believe I ended up picking up a bunch of them from another VW at the junk yard. Also, the O rings on the quick disconnect are buried inside the female part of the QD fitting. You have to gently use a dental pick to coerse them out. There are a couple different types of fittings however and the ones you have may be a bit different than mine.
Old August 5th, 2017, 18:12   #30
Tsiah

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta

Any chance you can re-host the pictures for this?
Tsiah is offline   Reply With Quote