www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old January 16th, 2013, 13:12   #1
josh8loop
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG City with the previous 01M, 5-speed 60+ MPG City. Always searching for ways to make it better!!
Default A4 Jetta TDI Clear Teflon Fuel Line/Injector Return Line Upgrade...

Fellas,
Quite a while back I had issues with the dreaded air-in leakage effecting startability of my TDI. At that time I had the 01M transmission and from what I understand the automatic transmission equipt vehicles didn't offer the clear fuel lines from the fuel filter. Since my fuel lines were in bad shape, and I needed a clear section of tubing to help troubleshoot my air-in leakage issue I decided to come up with a solution that would work well long term and be temperature and chemically compatible. Here is what I came up with:

Above: I visited the junk yard and found a 2000-2004 Jetta gasser and extracted some of the fuel system quick disconnect fittings. At least two are needed but if you are like me and break one then it would be better to have three! Pay no attention to the ball snap-it's for another project
Below: Once you have the quick disconnect fittings the old plastic and rubber lines can be GENTLY removed. One end of the male quick disconnect has an O ring so be cautious!

Above: Once your disconnect pieces are prepared it's time to find some clear Teflon tubing. McMaster Carr has some Teflon PFA Clear tubing that is 8mm(.300-.315") ID and 10mm OD that will work well. The ID is the MOST CRITICAL dimension since it is what will seal on the O ring and stretch around the retaining hose barb. The product code number is: 5733K78 and the link is:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#5733K78

You will need at least 4 inches of it. While at the junk yard look for some stainless steel hose clamps on fuel and vacuum lines. Some types are reuseable and you can use a pair of piers to gently slide the SS clip ring apart and it will release. The clamps aren't necessary but I like the look and also knowing that it won't come apart. The clamp shown in the picture isn't in it's proper position which would be directly over top of the O ring on the male section of the quick disconnect.
Below: Here it is connected to the vehicle. I used some 5/16" ID "Weatherhead" diesel rated hose from NAPA since it has a stock-like cloth braid appearance.

I also got tired of dealing with replacing the rubber fuel lines connecting the injectors to the IP. I used some Teflon tubing on that too since it will take the heat and give me a way to see if my air is leaking through those areas! I used some smaller diameter SS clips on that also. I will take some measurements and see what diameter tubing would be needed for those line aswell:

Measuring the fuel injector nipples it looks like 4mm Teflon PFA Clear tubing will work. The 4mm stuff will have to stretch 1.5mm to go over the number 3 injectors barbs but is doable. Here is the McMaster link for it:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#5733K54

The total length needed for the fuel injector return lines will be minimum of 3 feet. That gives you 3.5" between each of the three injectors and then gives you about two feet for the return portion to the IP. By the way none of the line replacements interfere with the engine cover so that's not an issue either. I've had my clear Teflon fuel line quick disconnect assembly on for a couple years with absolutely no issues. I started converting the fuel injector return line a year ago and just finished replacing the last rubber piece of fuel injector tubing(piece between the last fuel injector and the IP a few weeks ago after I had a major blowout there which resulted in an engine/clutch that was completely doused with diesel! Now with the Teflon tubing I have no worries of fuel injector line leakage and can remove it from my preventative maintenance list. I really like the ability to see if there is air getting into the lines easily-this mod has removed a large percentage of where air intrusion issues actually happen.
Now have Nokian Entyre Low RR tires!

Last edited by josh8loop; July 5th, 2013 at 09:07. Reason: Added tubing measurements/diameters
josh8loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 12:23   #2
josh8loop
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG City with the previous 01M, 5-speed 60+ MPG City. Always searching for ways to make it better!!

Here is a link to McMaster for the SS one time pinch hose/tube clamps for the fuel injector return line upgrade-you will need at least 9, but they come in packs of 25:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#52545K38

Also, here is a link for the clamps for the IP fuel line-you will need only two for the setup shown above but they come in packs of 25:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#52545K51
Old January 17th, 2013, 21:06   #3
loco_unoTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47-51avg

Post saved, definitely doing this in the coming months. Thank you. And BTW, I love McMaster-Carr!
loco_unoTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 22:03   #4
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco_unoTDI View Post
Post saved, definitely doing this in the coming months. Thank you. And BTW, I love McMaster-Carr!
I can't count how many times I've driven to will-call in Santa Fe Springs to pick up some needed item that couldn't wait.
They're great if you don't mind paying retail.
flee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2013, 15:31   #5
DMDK

Nice mini-write up, and spotless engine bay.
DMDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2013, 15:59   #6
Jayg
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDK View Post

I thought the same thing too. I had to check the location to see why it wasnt rusty. Southern cars hold up well!
Jayg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 07:57   #7
josh8loop
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDK View Post

Thanks fellas for the nice comments! I just wish the interior plastic and the black exterior paint held up as well!
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:00   #8
josh8loop
Veteran Member

Just measured and updated the fuel injector return hose length needed on the original post. FYI Also, I don't see why for less than the cost of an OE replacement(over $100.00) one could have the Teflon replacements. Plus the Teflon won't yellow and obscure fuel/air bubble viewing ability as it ages like the OE.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 19:59   #9
josh8loop
Veteran Member

If you notice in one of the above photos I had the original black rubber fuel injector return line plug. I didn't like the idea of having all other fuel return lines done in the Teflon but not that stinking little plug on the end so I fired up my drill press and used it like a lathe. I used some 1/4" brass stock and a regular sized file and a micro file set and produced a brass plug that could be inserted in a small Teflon tubing section and pressed onto the fuel injector nipple. At least now I don't have to worry about that being a leak point, and it looks great too!
Old May 14th, 2013, 19:53   #10
Phantomofheat
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47-50

Could the Teflon tubing be used to run from the filter to the injection pump.
Old May 15th, 2013, 03:21   #11
fierodough
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Beetle
Fuel Economy: 5.7l/100km

What is that cable (looks like a ground) on the vacuum canister bracket top bolt on the head? I don't have that on mine (previous owner may have hacked that also...) where does it go to?

Thanks!
fierodough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 19:06   #12
rock4xfab

TDI(s): 03 Jetta TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierodough View Post
What is that cable (looks like a ground) on the vacuum canister bracket top bolt on the head? I don't have that on mine (previous owner may have hacked that also...) where does it go to?

Thanks!
My 03 auto does not have it either, and Ihave owned it since new
rock4xfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 11:12   #13
darkscout
Grammar Scout

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomofheat View Post
I'm thinking of ordering enough to do all my lines. It seems flexible enough, any reason not to just do the whole system in this?
Old July 5th, 2013, 08:54   #14
josh8loop
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomofheat View Post

Sure, don't see why not. One thing however that thicker walled teflon tubing is difficult to bend and the thinner stuff can kink/distort when bent too much. Large radius sweeping bends are the way to go which ever way you go. I really like the clear lines so I can see any air bubbles that may appear.
Old July 5th, 2013, 08:57   #15
josh8loop
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierodough View Post

Thanks!

Your correct, that's just an extra ground I added when trouble shooting some time ago. I found the real issue(the corroded ground terminals below the battery box) and fixed it. I went ahead and left the extra ground since it couldn't hurt anything to have an extra.