Repairs at Richard's

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
I am now a recognized vendor and any discussion about services by me will be done in the vendor's forum at my new "Repairs at Richard's" there. If you are a satisfied customer you can continue to post here.

I am very proud to now be on the TDI clubs list of "Trusted Mechanics". Great honor and thanks to everyone for bringing your great cars to me to fix. Justin and I will always go above and beyond to get you going :)

If you are in the Atl area of any where close and want to do some work on your alh tdi we can now help you out. I'm finally retired so I'm here most of the time.

We can do or help with:
1. alh timing belt replacement
2. suspension rebuild, including struts, brakes a-arms, tie rod ends, axle replacements, ect
3. injector replacement
4. turbo replacement and cleaning
5. intake cleaning
6. oil changes
7. trans fluid changes
8. coolant changes.
9. Vag com adjustments
10. Short shifters
11. Hammer mod

most of the minor repairs, no engine overhauls lol. Things that can get in and out of my garage in one day unless something happens beyond our control.

Call me at 541-980-1466 or just PM me here.
Richard55

Last edited:

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
What about minor things for CR cars? When this thing is out of warranty I might want to some local non dealer to pay instead. Thanks!

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
To EVERYONE who is at or past their timing belt change mileage, just a warning, DO IT NOW!!!!!!
I went past the recommended mileage and my belt spun several teeth and now I am replacing the head and everything that goes along with that mess. Went from about 300 +/- in parts to 1500 just because I said I'll do it next month. Cheap insurance, so DO IT before you have to do what I''m doing.

We are also in the process of changing the suspension out to full Audi TT, with LCAs and spindles and maybe TT struts and sway bar. Wow adjustable caster and camber on a NB.

Just received the 108mm axle flanges and will also be installing the new axles. We will be rebuilding the CV joints also. Lots to do and you are welcome to come help or just watch. You bring the beer lol

We also will be installing a new oil pan with the steel bottom insert, so come and watch or help with all of the above. The pan needs some modifing, around the A/C pump, to fit so come on out and see how that is done also.

School in in session lol.

Last edited:

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
Finishing up a 02 Golf alh timing belt install along with a lift pump. This golf is being set up for the track. It will be fun to follow it thru its paces.

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
yes sir be there with bells on. lol
I'll bring a vag com cable and computer for anyone to use. Also a few special tools.

Last edited:

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
Reassembled my parts cleaning tank after years of setting in the back of my shop. Had forgotten how well it works. Have two heads in there now and are they coming out super clean.

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
Check out my new thread on ROAD TRIPS
I am putting together a grand trip thru 8 countries and hope to end up in Panama. Two of the countries are quit wild to say the least.

Since "Ole Yeller" is down for the new timing belt and head job, opps can I say that, I thought I would really take it apart and prep it for this new life adventure. I am going thru about everything on the car and upgrading or renewing it.

This thread will follow the build out and the trip thru these 8 countries. Southern USA, Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaraqua, Honduras, Costa Rica and Panama. The start date will be when I have completed the build out and am satisfied that all is ready.

The trip will be done on one, yes one, fill-up of bio-diesel. I personally will make the bio-diesel so I know it will be correct. That tank will consist of 100 gallons of fuel,on a trailer, plus a full tank in the NB. So no stops for fuel just eats and rest.

I will literally start at the top of the car and work my way down. New headliner and new antenna to receive AM/FM/CB and GPS/WiFi. Going to try to keep it as non-discript as possible. Try to not attract much attention if possible. One country is in the top 10 for Americans to not be in. From there the interior will get some upgrade to the drivers seat. Then a new A/V system will be installed with moving map ect., plus front and back viewing and recording cameras. New windshield and then to the exterior.

I now have VR6 suspension with Audi TT 312 mm brakes but hoping to upgrade to an air bag system on all four corners. The LCAs will be swapped out for Audi TT as well as the steering knuckles, with new bearings and ball joints. New 108 mm axles and u-joints of course.

I will be cleaning up the casting on the head for better flow and cooling. New valves, guides and a regrind. Thinking about a Frank06 stage 2 cam, but not sure yet. I have an new hybred oil pan I will be installing also, with a new oil pickup. New A/C compressor and a new radiator as well. All new hoses and belts of course with the new timing belt kit. Also may use a fluid harmonic balancer, doing research on that now.
I am now running several mods, engine wise and have 55 watt HIDs installed.

I have a small boat trailer that I will be modifing for the trip. It will hold the fuel and the supplies that I may need along the way. Of course extra parts and tires. I will be installing a trailer hitch on the NB also.

Lots to do so follow along as I will be showing all of the build out and the trip in this and several other forums.

Happy times are here again...... I love being retired finally.
Richard55

fabed23

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta ALH - 5spd
Had I known that you were so accessible and willing to let people learn like this, I would have been there a million times or more trying to learn! Cant believe all the trips that I made to Duluth from Asheville that I never did. Live and learn

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
Thought I would throw this in for all to look at. I replaced a timing belt on a jetta the other day and while I was installing the engine piece of the mount back on this is what I found. Yes if you look at the very center of the foto you will see the famous broken engine mount piece. I ordered the repair kit and will be installing as soon as it arrives. I made two taps to clean out the mounting holes. It is way easy if you don't want to buy two $10.00 taps. Just take the correct size bolt, place it in your vice, take a fine sharp edged file and groove four lines in the bolt. You have a home made tap. Run them thru the threaded holes and now nice clean threads to work with.

Last edited:

79_Limited

TDI
2003 Jetta
Richard thanks for the open invitation. I would love to meet you and check out the shop. I am in Buford so not too far away.

By chance are you open to a 5 speed swap for a 2003 Jetta down the road? My auto tranny is doing fine but I would not mind the process of sourcing the parts for when she goes it will be ready.

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
The same alh that I just replaced the timing belt on and now repairing the broken motor mount also has a bad IP. Tried to time it this past week after the belt install and no joy. Checked the IP and it had at least 1/2" of rotational play in the pully, the main shaft of the IP, there is no way it will time out or stay in time. Found a good replacement and had it shipped. Wow good ole USPO broke the plug. I tried to swap the electrics from the old to the new and this is something an authorized bosch pump rebuilder would have to do. Waiting until tomorrow AM to go to the post office and see how to make the claim. Yes it was insured and yes this sucks big time.

Last edited:

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
Another satisfied customer out the door. 2000 alh Jetta, New timing belt, installed a resealed 10mm IP and fuel filter and fixed the broken motor mount on the block. Compaired to the way it was running when it came in I thought it was a new engine. lol very smooth running alh. Had to get a new 10 pin plug in and redo the wiring on it to get the pump to work but all is done. Thanks to Bryan in Tejas for the great, resealed, pump.

Ok who is next lol

Last edited:

WalrusBurger

TDI
2000 Jetta (5-speed)
As the owner of said 2000 Jetta, I can confirm that yes, the engine does run better than it ever has, and yes, Richard is The Man. Thanks again.

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
LOL ok Steve you made it home. This alh should run you as long as you maintain it. Great little car, I wanted to buy it for my daughter. Didn't bring that up as it ran so well..

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
Richard-I need to change my timing belt and feel capable of doing it myself but with this being my first time changing one on a TDI I would prefer to have someone experienced with it looking over my shoulder to make sure I don't botch anything. I do have VCDS but do not have the timing belt tools. I am sending a pm over as well. I am not in an immediate rush but would rather change it sooner than later. I would love to chat with you about your upcoming trip as well.

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
Was going to do the hybred oil pan install today but decided to do a stealth EGR mod instead. I need to apologize as I only took fotos after the job was completed. :-( I have changed over to videoing all the mods and forgot about the stills. Here is the after fotos. It is very simple the way I did it. Took a hack saw and a dremel and just removed the interior of the egr. I left the shut off plate in place to prevent run a way. I also used two part epoxie to close the shutter valve hole in the bottom of the egr. I did this to create a smooth flow of air thru the egr, it would have really been tumbling if I had left that big hole in the bottom. I will still run the delete plate on the bottom just to be safe.

The epoxie is still drying here.

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
It looks good, Richard. I did the same thing last summer to mine. For the plug, I found a large oil pan plug at Napa that was just slightly larger than the hole (I believe it was a 21 mm or 22 mm plug) and I cut notches on it to make it a tap. I then forced it into the hole and then cut the bolt head off. It fit in nice and tight. Another option I wanted to try was to find the right sized freeze plug and tap that in the hole. I had trouble finding the correct size freeze plug so I took the bolt route. I also put a block off plate under it as well just for kicks.

By the way, it was nice chatting with you on the phone the other day.

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
the GTG was great, light work done on several cars. Lots of great food and conversation.
Anything I can do for anyone just let me know.