B5v - AFN - 6 Speed - Conversion

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat BHW - 6 speed manual
Here we go!
I bought a 5 speed 1999 VW passat wagon with 130k miles on it for $1000... She had a clogged up oilpump pickup, but I dropped the pan and cleaned that out, then put it all back together with no money spent on parts. Runs good, considering it had low oil pressure! :)

Anyway, that doesn't matter cause the engine is going to be replaced with an AFN!
This time I decided to take the easy way out. I ordered a swap kit from Frans... but instead of buying the stock 5 speed, I requested a 6 speed upgrade. :D

I think this should be a bit easier than the toyota swap! It's supposed to all just fit, but we know how that goes. :p

k_harley

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2005 Audi S4, 1997 Audi A4 Race car, 2004 Passat TDI 6MT 4motion
Cool, I heard about this one from Frans, with a complete swap like that, this one should be pretty darn easy.

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL
Nice swap, I am just finishing up a 6sp swap into my B5.5V TDI.
Curious to know what flywheel and clutch you plan to run ?
Beware that SMF and 228mm appears to be bad news with the 01E, I am having big resonance issues.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Nice swap, I am just finishing up a 6sp swap into my B5.5V TDI.
Curious to know what flywheel and clutch you plan to run ?
Beware that SMF and 228mm appears to be bad news with the 01E, I am having big resonance issues.
I keep hearing this about the SMF set ups and 01Es. I was tempted to run one of their set ups but am tempted to run the stock set up for now.

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
I keep hearing this about the SMF set ups and 01Es. I was tempted to run one of their set ups but am tempted to run the stock set up for now.
I have a LUK 240mm DMF here, along with a 240mm SRE disc and PP (thanks RyanP). I will replace the 228mm SMF with it in the next few weeks, then I will know for SURE if this is the cause of my horrendous resonance.

k_harley

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2005 Audi S4, 1997 Audi A4 Race car, 2004 Passat TDI 6MT 4motion
I have a LUK 240mm DMF here, along with a 240mm SRE disc and PP (thanks RyanP). I will replace the 228mm SMF with it in the next few weeks, then I will know for SURE if this is the cause of my horrendous resonance.
This is interesting, can you describe it? (the resonance)

So far Ive used DMF on the first two B5's I did, the third one has a SMF but I have not turned the key yet.

You'd be surprised how much axles can play a role in vibration on these cars.

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
So far, I'm on schedule!

Here are some part pictures!

Since my passat is a 1.8t and manual, I won't need all the stuff, but the complete swap kit was provided. :)

AFN getting pressure washed...

Uhoh! My 5 speed transmission mounts are a bit different! :p
Gonna have to figure out what to do... maybe find a subframe from a S4? I'll probably try to figure out how to use my 5 speed mount. Or maybe just make a bracket tab thing for the 6 speed mount and weld it to my current subframe. That would be easier

Low light makes for worse pictures. :/

6speed drivers side mount

5 speed drivers side mount

k_harley

TDI
I think if you look closer at each transmission, you might be able to put that 5 speed bracket onto the 6 speed trans. You can see the other bolt hole for it there in the pic, it is low res...... Im pretty sure the front half of those transmissions are the same.

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea, I saw that too... the picture is awful, so you can't really see the offset on the holes. It looks like the 5 speed mount isn't quite flush.
I'm going to try to bolt it up tonight and take some better pictures though. :)

On the list for to do tonight is to install all the interior stuff. Wiring/6 speed shifter/cluster and so on...

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
Well... here's the bad news... the 5 speed transmission mount will not work!

The 5 speed bracket to the left and 6 speed bracket to the right. The main problem is the bracket bolt holes are all on different planes.
Literally... each one is on a slightly different plane.

Here's the bolt holes on the 6 speed trans. They are all flush... on the same plane.

Here's me trying to bolt the 5 speed mount to the transmission

I'm going to have to make some wiring harness modifications.
These plugs aren't matching up!
AFN

AEG

Last edited:

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
I read Sprockett's and Whitebread's 6 speed manual swap into a b5.5 automatic transmission. The transmission brackets they used are the same ones that came with my 01e from europe. They didn't have to swap the subframe.... but that's probably cause their passat started as an automatic.

Here's a picture of an automatic subframe on ebay

Here's a picture of a manual subframe on ebay

Last edited:

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Extremely interested in the swap, especially clutch choices everybody is going with.

My current plan is to run the 240mm SMF from Scott and prob a clutch from Southbend. Not sure what clutch yet. It needs to hold decent power.

Also a link to Jason's thread for reference:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=322170

Last edited:

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea, I'm not so concerned about the clutch.
It's a 240mm from a PD motor and mine is only an AFN, that won't be built out to anything crazy.

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, I plan on using it till it goes bad on me.
I am expecting it to last a few thousand more miles and I won't mind pulling the transmission in a couple years. :)

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
I didn't see the axles. Did you get those with your kit? The early 1.8Ts had the earlier style CVs.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
V6 sub frame also has that style trans mounts on both sides. Not sure about the rest of the geometry though.

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Try PMing Alphasenior on here. I know he has done a few swaps from auto to 5sp, and had to change the subframes to the 5sp version. Not sure what he did with the auto subframes he took out, but worth the try. He is near Dallas.

I can confirm that I used the stock auto subframe and fitted the 6sp mounts up fine with my 01E.
What code is on your 6sp trans ?

While you have it out, I would recommend changing both engine mounts (I see your motor has 248k kms on it, probably worth $250 of mounts. 30 secs of effort now, 2 hrs of effort later.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Try PMing Alphasenior on here. I know he has done a few swaps from auto to 5sp, and had to change the subframes to the 5sp version. Not sure what he did with the auto subframes he took out, but worth the try. He is near Dallas.

I can confirm that I used the stock auto subframe and fitted the 6sp mounts up fine with my 01E.
What code is on your 6sp trans ?

While you have it out, I would recommend changing both engine mounts (I see your motor has 248k kms on it, probably worth $250 of mounts. 30 secs of effort now, 2 hrs of effort later.
I can confirm the 1.8T ('02) auto subframe is a direct fit for the 01E. Surely you can source one local to you. Shipping one of these might be spendy.

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
I got one on ebay for $120 shipped to my door. A local guy wanted $60 for his, but he was an hour drive away and I would have had to pull in his dirt sideyard. It was worth $60 of my time and energy to have it show up on my doorstep in a few days.

Meanwhile, I plan on chopping these guys off and mating them with the female body harness from the euro audi. That way I have a nice little adapter between the body harness of my passat and the AFN engine harness.
The only thing that will get butchered is the AEB harness and the audi's body harness, which I wasn't planning on installing into the passat anyway. :)

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Nice score. $120 shipped is a great price.

You're going to cut the Audi engine harness and adapt it from the recipient AEB harness connectors?

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
Not exactly... Frans sent me the Audi's body harness too.
In order to avoid cutting up the AFN harness and the Passat body harness, I'm cutting off the female connectors from the Audi body harness and connecting them to the AEB male connectors.

It'll go like this:
Passat B5 body harness - AEB engine harness connector - Audi body harness connector - AFN engine harness connectors

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Why not just extract the pins and install them in the correct mating connector? No cutting or adapters necessary.

xcdhracer15

Veteran Member
TDI
99 audi a4 ahu, 02 dmax twin turbo
if you have any questions regarding 5spd to 6spd, auto to manual, what axles, what size flanges, etc feel free to contact me (sent you a PM)

I also have the axles you need to mate up to your 6spd.

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
Frans included the axles for me... Somehow they managed to avoid all my pictures. :eek: