Adding a sensor to the factory alarm?

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
Has anybody added a motion detector or glassbreak sensor to the factory alarm? Seems like it would be easy enough, even if there's no inputs for such a sensor you could just rig it to activate one of the door pin wires when it's triggered, right?

It seems stupid that a crook can break your window and rob you blind without ever setting off the alarm, as long as he doesn't open the door.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Yes, it can be done. Do a google search.
I added an impact sensor to mine, essentially you just need to tap the signal wire that gets grounded by the sensors. One problem with mine is that I cannot just open the trunk remotely, I need to first unlock the car, then open the trunk. I suspect this is because I have a bad trunk switch though.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
The factory alarm in these vehicles in some parts of the world have motion sensing. The rear reading lights had sensors. The parts vary depending on interior color. There is also a different controller.

[ September 18, 2002, 17:46: Message edited by: MOGolf ]

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
I think this is an example of a motion sensor built into the roof lights that are mounted over the rear doors of the Golf. I took this picture in Switzerland last week, the car is one of the new 240 horsepower Golfs with the Phaeton 3.2 gasoline engine in it.

At first I thought the small openings at the front and rear of the assembly were some form of additional lighting, but after reading this thread, I am now guessing that they are motion sensors. But, I might be wrong.

Rear Cabin Roof light from Golf with 3.2 L engine

Rick P.

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat, Tornado Red, RIP Feb 17, 2006
My Passat has a motion sensor and it's a PITA. I live on a bus route and the first bus on Thursday mornings (different driver) comes at 5:45 AM. Ask me how I know ...

I know the sensor is adjustable but I haven't got around to doing it yet. I also wonder how effective it would be if I reduced the sensitivity of thing.

Something to keep in mind,
Rick

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
FOUND IT!! NOW I WANT ONE!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHH

PTC!! We need wiring diagrams.

ERIC, do you have time to pay attention to this????

Ted? Guys???

Michael??? This is all your fault

There is a bulb (14) that goes with this light. And, a seperate part for cars with sunroofs. We need to find the wiring harness, wires and where to connect them.

WIll this fit the JETTA???? It's easy enough to modify the headliner if it doesn't. If there's an aluminum trim piece, could be harder to adapt.

So many questions...so little time

L

Part Numbers:

Without sunroof: 1J0 951 171D Y20(pearl grey)

With Sunroof: 1J0 951 171E Y20 (pearl grey)

European ETKA says R32. Could this be sourced in North America?? Need to call our parts places.

[ October 07, 2002, 21:10: Message edited by: tongsli ]

Ted_Grozier

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GL 4-dr
Lito, that lamp _looks_ to be the same physical size - i.e. a drop-in replacement. But taking out the headliner to run wires -- particularly near those curtain bags -- gives me the creeps. And don't you think we'd need a new controller? If I lived in a super-high crime area and habitually left stacks of large bills on the dash....

But I do think it is a drop-in replacement physically.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi Everyone:

Thanks for the nice comments. I have been away from North America since May, work related. One highlight of my trip was being able to meet PTC and have coffee with him in Zagreb. Otherwise, mostly work.

Lito, "R32" is, I think, the model designation for the Golf with the very large gasoline engine in it. This was the type of car that the cabin light was installed in. In the past, I have seen lots of motion detecting sensors in other Golfs, but they have always been mounted more or less in the middle of the cabin roof, being a seperate part entirely without a light in it. This was the first time I have seen an integrated light and sensor assembly.

Ted, you are right about headliner removal - it is very difficult, especially if you have side curtain air bags. I attempted to remove my headliner last winter to install a GPS antenna cable that ran from the back of the radio up to the (standard) antenna location on the rear roof area, and it was very, very difficult to do. Note also that the 'A' pillar covers on cars with side curtain air bags permanently deform if you attempt to remove them - they are designed with a frangible crease running the length of the middle of the cover, to allow the airbag to deploy in an accident.

Michael

KOMET155

Veteran Member
TDI
VW komet
did you happen to take a picture of the data sticker for the car equipped with these dome lights? it would help shed light (no pun intended) on what other equipment goes with it to make up this upgraded factory alarm...

Originally posted by Michael Moore:
I think this is an example of a motion sensor built into the roof lights that are mounted over the rear doors of the Golf. I took this picture in Switzerland last week, the car is one of the new 240 horsepower Golfs with the Phaeton 3.2 gasoline engine in it.

At first I thought the small openings at the front and rear of the assembly were some form of additional lighting, but after reading this thread, I am now guessing that they are motion sensors. But, I might be wrong.

Rear Cabin Roof light from Golf with 3.2 L engine
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry folks, I got R32 and 337 mixed up last night in my excitement.

it would help shed light (no pun intended) on what other equipment goes with it to make up this upgraded factory alarm...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">For those equipped, also look at the "PR" codes.

L

[ October 08, 2002, 08:01: Message edited by: tongsli ]

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi Joe:

No, sorry, I did not take a picture of the data sticker on the R32 Golf. I was worried that if I did post a picture of the sticker, someone would start importing those huge, way over the top, extremely tasteless, dare I even say "ricey" front air dam assemblies that come on these R32 cars.
So, in the interests of preserving VW's image here in North America, I figured it would be best to leave that info behind in Europe.

Michael

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic
You don't need to be able to source R32 parts to get interior light monitoring. Lito, what you saw is that satin black version of the interior monitoring sensor is meant for R32 and GTI because they have black headliner, while other Golfs have either beige or grey.

The wiring diagrams are as follows:

Wiring diagram for interior monitoring with central convenience for MY00 and MY01
Wiring diagram for interior monitoring for MY02

Hope this is what you needed. If you need something else, "ask and you shall be given"

PTC

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can someone pull their central convenience module located below the steering wheel, above the relay plates. It's the black box that's larger than any of the relays.

If you can pull it, see if there is a pin at location 8 & 9. Our part numbers are revision "C" and the interior monitoring system control module is a revision "B". What are the chances the pins exists and are programmed??

Probably slim to none.

Looks like we need a NEW convenience control module Part number:1C0 959 799B 07G to make this work. Komet, have you already ordered this?

SVTWEB, do you remember the part number for the convenience module you upgraded for your power seats???

Lito

[ October 08, 2002, 13:27: Message edited by: tongsli ]

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
L, There seems to be a "button" in the drivers door for the canceling. 4B0 962 109 A.

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
Originally posted by MOGolf:
L, There seems to be a "button" in the drivers door for the canceling. 4B0 962 109 A.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That Button is located in the Center Console where the Fuel door button would be on RHD cars. NOW I understand why there was a whitness mark on the bottom of the console......

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
SVTWEB are you sure? The ETKA lists the fuel release switch and this button as possible #16. When you look at the ETKA for the center console, it shows the button "for electrically operated flap for fuel filler". There is not a listing for a switch related to the interior monitoring in the center console. This implies the cancelling switch is in the door, and the fuel release in the center console.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Someone else from the UK, IIRC, had covered this issue of "interior monitoring". I believe it was an ultrasonic sensor located on the C pillar in a reading light.

One of our TSBs does mention (in error) interior montioring as a device that can be controlled with VAGCOM.

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
Originally posted by MOGolf:
SVTWEB are you sure? The ETKA lists the fuel release switch and this button as possible #16. When you look at the ETKA for the center console, it shows the button "for electrically operated flap for fuel filler". There is not a listing for a switch related to the interior monitoring in the center console. This implies the cancelling switch is in the door, and the fuel release in the center console.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not positive, but I do know that 18 & 19 are the door switches, and the only switch that fits in the centerconsole according to the European ETKA is the Fuel filler ot the Interior monitor switch.

Lito..... When I get the transmission done I'll order all the parts and install them in my car.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
SVTWEB, from the shape depicted, I think you're right. It also makes sense when looking at the wiring diagram PTC supplied. There is no connection depicted going to the door.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Circuit City did sell impact sensor DEI #504M that is easily install and works with car's factory alarm. Cost about $20.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That cool. If you get it, can you post some pics?

Eric,

Depending upon the prices, I'm in if you don't mind me piggybacking your package

L

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok Guys,

Look on No. 48/4, next to the overhead interior light. What form does the deactivation switch take???

Any ideas? It's L118 and E267.
There are two extra wires in the 6-pin (obviously)

One pin goes to T15/8 of the Convenience system control unit - anyone know if there is a wire in T15/8 now???

The other connects to the kill switch that's currently unknown (it's form anyway).

So, it looks like other than the lights and sensors, the kill switch are the only pieces needed to wire back to the Convenience control module.

Anyone?

Lito

Thanks PTC for the diagrams.

[ October 08, 2002, 12:38: Message edited by: tongsli ]

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
L, find the switch in ETKA and you may have your answer.

KOMET155

Veteran Member
TDI
VW komet
Thanks PTC for the diagrams.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, thank you Hrvoje!

I was wondering if you have access to a complete list of pin identification for the comfort control units? I know not all positions are used for all CC systems, but it would help give us a frame of reference.

[ October 15, 2002, 07:28: Message edited by: KOMET155 ]