www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old December 14th, 2012, 20:15   #1
outthere
Veteran Member

Default Fuel Flap Door

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I knocked the fuel nozzle into the fuel flap door on my B5 Wagon. The flap snapped at the hinge. Does anyone have a diagram or pics of how this goes together? I'd like to remove the hinge thats still attached to the car, epoxy, replace but not sure exactly how this goes apart & back together. worst case replace it.

Your awesome help is always appreciated! (Coming up on 13 years of TDIClub- I owe a lot of folks props/beers!)
outthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 05:25   #2
thundershorts
Veteran Member

probably lots of used ones available as its not tdi specific. forget trying to glue it.
Old December 15th, 2012, 19:39   #3
MattS

TDI(s): 2005 Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by outthere View Post
Hope someone can point me in the right direction.
I knocked the fuel nozzle into the fuel flap door on my B5 Wagon. The flap snapped at the hinge. Does anyone have a diagram or pics of how this goes together? I'd like to remove the hinge thats still attached to the car, epoxy, replace but not sure exactly how this goes apart & back together. worst case replace it.
Your awesome help is always appreciated! (Coming up on 13 years of TDIClub- I owe a lot of folks props/beers!)
There is a single Torx screw accessible with the door open (or broken off!) that holds the whole assembly in place. Removal is very easy. I swapped mine with one I found on a gasser in the junk yard. (Had to manualy activate the release on the junk car after removing the side panel in the trunk.) Paint is a perfect match. I was even able to peel off and reuse my diesel label on the inside of the flap.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 12:10   #4
auntulna
Veteran Member

I had one break where the hinge meets the door. Took it out, just one screw.

Glued it indoors for better temperature and control; used super glue to hold the parts, then covered that with epoxy glue.

Gave it about ten open/close cycles. Doing OK so far.
auntulna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 17:00   #5
outthere
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

Many thanks - found a used match online $50 later part arrived today. I hadnt thought to look at gasser's and other model years, duh.

This is from a '99 passat gasser. Hope to pop it in tomorrow AM.

Thanks again I appreciate the feedback!
Old January 3rd, 2013, 19:18   #6
outthere
Veteran Member

Shout out to Tom's Foreign Auto Parts in CT. exact fit, color, and arrived in 36 hours from order for $49. tomsforeign.com