www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old December 4th, 2012, 11:46   #1
PhunkFX
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45-47 MPG
Default ID Parts Winter Grill Cover

I just received an email about this product being available. This is something that I have thought about in the past as I see trucks with grill covers. I am curious to see what this community thinks about them. I assume with frost heaters they are not needed and/or could negatively affect cooling.

Perhaps we can start a discussion on this product now being made for ID Parts:

http://idparts.com/catalog/product_i...oducts_id=1121

http://idparts.com/catalog/product_i...oducts_id=1475

What does TDI Club think? Pros and Cons? I have not seen a thread like this in the search archives but a few from years ago. Discuss.
Old December 4th, 2012, 11:55   #2
CrustyOreo
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 NB
Fuel Economy: GPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhunkFX View Post
I just received an email about this product being available. This is something that I have thought about in the past as I see trucks with grill covers. I am curious to see what this community thinks about them. I assume with frost heaters they are not needed and/or could negatively affect cooling.

Perhaps we can start a discussion on this product now being made for ID Parts:

http://idparts.com/catalog/product_i...oducts_id=1121

http://idparts.com/catalog/product_i...oducts_id=1475

What does TDI Club think? Pros and Cons? I have not seen a thread like this in the search archives but a few from years ago. Discuss.
Is that not the point of them......?
You haven't seen a thread like this because VW discontinued them a few years back.
1998 Red Beetle TDI- far from stock - SOLD!
CrustyOreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 12:01   #3
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

I just put one on my Chirstmas list. I don't have a frost heater and my car takes up to about 8 miles to full warm up once it starts to get really cold. I think these aren't just about start-up but for maintaining operating temperature while driving in regions of extreme cold.

"This cover reduces airflow to the radiator, helping the car warm up faster and stay warm."
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 12:05   #4
PhunkFX
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45-47 MPG

Agreed, if you are in an extremely cold climate, I do not see how these can negatively affect the vehicle.
Old December 4th, 2012, 12:15   #5
WolfgangVW
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44mpg

Yeah they definitely help maintain the engine temp. Even with a frost heater in cold climates the grill cover still serves a purpose. Just if it's too warm outside your car could run too warm. Where i am any sort of covering of the radiator makes a huge difference in any car.

I do the foam pipe insulation thing over the grill i saw on here, it helps. I may even look at throwing some cardboard on the rad too. Has anyone done both a grill cover and cardboard on there TDI??
WolfgangVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 12:48   #6
eb2143
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Lifetime average ~ 50 mpg

I have one of the OE VW ones they stopped selling several years ago. If the ID parts is designed exactly the same as the VW, it will make a noticeable but not dramatic change in warm up. I think the cover adds to the front of the car in terms of looks, so you can justify the price of the ID parts one that way, but cardboard or pipe foam will block more of the radiator for a fraction of the cost.

With the VW cover installed and ambient temps in the 20s, it takes my car about 5-6 miles of constant driving (not stop and go, rural 40 mph road) to show 190 on the dummy gauge with the inside temperature control set to COLD. I get the car up to temperature and enjoy hot air instead of delaying it by getting tepid air for a greater length of time.
Bosio Sprint 520s, Koni FSDs, VW HD Springs, 10mm spacer, Audi TT LCA bushings, 034 motorsports strut mounts, E-code lights, Audi TT "short"-shifter, IDparts rear sway bar, DG Panzer plate, Caterpillar 2m fuel filter, Frostheater, GLI Recaros, GTI 3-spoke steering wheel, Audi S3 shifter, R-line stainless pedals

Last edited by eb2143; December 4th, 2012 at 12:53.
eb2143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 12:51   #7
Cfidave

Fuel Economy: 51 MPG Best

I received the email also. Looks like both upper and lower grill covers are included. The lower grill covers appear to be one piece, which may not be a good thing. I am not sure I want to block the intercooler grill opening, which I believe is the lower passenger side.
Old December 4th, 2012, 13:07   #8
lekolite
Veteran Member

On my wishlist. I've been doing the pipe insulation version for 5 years. Definitely helps warm up times.
Old December 4th, 2012, 13:10   #9
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

I used my OEM ones for a winter, not sure how much it helped... then somehow I lost mine.

I may have to order these up.
Old December 4th, 2012, 13:27   #10
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

Quote:
Originally Posted by belome View Post
I used my OEM ones for a winter, not sure how much it helped... then somehow I lost mine.

I may have to order these up.
I've had a set (and used them in cold weather) for years. Biggest thing they do is make it look like you're trying and they keep road salt/gravel from chipping up the grille. I don't notice any difference as far a temp of coolant warming up any sooner with just them on. Cover the entire radiator with black plastic corragated sign board. Works better (because it works) and you cann't see it. Save the money, unless you like the look and want to save some rock chips.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 14:39   #11
eb2143
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Lifetime average ~ 50 mpg

Quote:
Save the money, unless you like the look and want to save some rock chips.
Yeah I think I only like the look because I have a black car. Looks more goofy with mismatched colors IMO.

Quote:
The lower grill covers appear to be one piece, which may not be a good thing. I am not sure I want to block the intercooler grill opening, which I believe is the lower passenger side.
This covers the center lower grill, not the passenger side. No effect on intercooler airflow.
Bosio Sprint 520s, Koni FSDs, VW HD Springs, 10mm spacer, Audi TT LCA bushings, 034 motorsports strut mounts, E-code lights, Audi TT "short"-shifter, IDparts rear sway bar, DG Panzer plate, Caterpillar 2m fuel filter, Frostheater, GLI Recaros, GTI 3-spoke steering wheel, Audi S3 shifter, R-line stainless pedals
eb2143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 16:04   #12
eljay

TDI(s): TBD

VW part number was ZVW193898 and a quick Google search comes up with this link, which appears to be orderable for $31.71:
http://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/pro...ZVW193898.html

I hope I'm not intruding on ID Parts here, but I didn't see anyone from ID Parts post, so I hope this helps someone out.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 16:13   #13
IndigoBlueWagon
Principal IDPartsVendor
w/Business number

You won't find the OE cover anywhere, unless someone has some leftover inventory. We searched all over the US and Western Europe before deciding to make our own covers.

I was a late convert to these. Cevans used one for years, but it wasn't until I drove out to Detroit in January a few years ago that I noticed it would help. I had a scanguage in the car at the time and my coolant temp would get to 175 or so climbing hills but drop back to 160 on flat ground. This was running at 75 MPH, outside temp in the single digits. When I started using the cover the car would maintain high 170s all the time.

Of course if you drive with it in a snowstorm your car may look like this after a while.

This was during our trip to the Detroit Auto Show in January of this year.
Old December 4th, 2012, 18:06   #14
squeegee_boy

I've had one of these for a many years. It's fine for moderately cold weather, but it doesn't block as much air as I would like. The upside is that I will typically leave it on until the high temperatures get into the 60's without having the fan kick in.

On my car, it will maintain 190F (once it gets there) down to about -20F at 65mph cruising speed. Yesterday, my wife had to run to Fairbanks with the temperature fluctuating from -30F to -40F. No gauge movement in town, but managed to hit 190 on the hills heading out of town. Once the road leveled off, the temperature dropped to around 155 and pretty much stayed there, but temps were back down to -40 by that point.

Last edited by squeegee_boy; December 4th, 2012 at 18:08.
squeegee_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 18:07   #15
snakeye
Veteran Member

I use a plastic cardboard "FOR SALE" sign bought at Dollarama for $1.25. It covers the radiator perfectly, and I don't even have to remove the bumper cover to install it. All I do is roll it up, remove the lower center plastic grill, and unroll it behind it.

I did the insulating pipe mod for one winter, but this is better in every single way.

Last edited by snakeye; December 4th, 2012 at 18:12.
snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote