www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old April 5th, 2015, 01:02   #16
wrenchman30
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 best befor egr much better now

while these thread repairs are nice your assuming they are stronger, your screwing them into aluminum which is the weakness in the first place
wrenchman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 05:31   #17
Dimitri16V
Veteran Member

It is designed that way so the engine drops during a front end collision
Aleksander Prokhorenko , Charles Keating ,Russian and US special forces KIA against ISIS. RIP heroes
Dimitri16V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 07:17   #18
Wingnut
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5L/100km

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchman30 View Post
while these thread repairs are nice your assuming they are stronger, your screwing them into aluminum which is the weakness in the first place
Yes, the aluminum is the weak point. However, it is the repeated removal & re-installation of the vertical mount bolts that strips the threads in the mount. The steel insert now takes the stress of the bolt threads, meaning it will stand up to the repeated re & re of the bolts better than the softer aluminum Since there is no movement between the insert and the aluminum, it doesn't wear out.

Old Ride (2000 Black Sedan): Gone

New Ride: (2003 Silver Wagon): Malone Tuned, T4 injectors, 11mm pump, 2.5" Magnaflow cat back, PD150 intake, OMI, Wingnut SS, ERF 6 speed, Bilstein TC Sport susp. w/GTI springs, Neuspeed RSB, Santa Monica's, Autometer Cobalt Boost & EGT, MFA Sport cluster, GLI Leather seats, SS vacuum lines, AVIC Z3 Nav and I still get 4.5L/100km (I got 3.9L/100k on a tank once)
Some handy 'How to's'
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 11:35   #19
phaser
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49 MPG B-20

I have nearly 360k on my 04, and intend to keep driving it until it dies.

Should this be thread repair be done now as preventive maintenance, or just wait?

Air Filter - EaA208
/ Transmission Oil - VW G50

Last edited by phaser; April 5th, 2015 at 17:12.
phaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 17:09   #20
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaser View Post
Should this be thread repair be done now as preventive maintenance, or just wait?
What prompted me to install the inserts was the amount of "wiggle" when I partially inserted the bolts into the mount bracket... (keep in mind that the engine had quite a high number of miles on it - meaning that the threads had been "exercised" quite a number of times for timing belt changes...)

Yuri

Pereat mundus, fiat musica!
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2015, 19:35   #21
Dimitri16V
Veteran Member

wiggle is not good , means top threads are rounded
Aleksander Prokhorenko , Charles Keating ,Russian and US special forces KIA against ISIS. RIP heroes
Old May 26th, 2015, 17:02   #22
UhOh
Veteran Member

Quote:
Two things not mentioned is that the insert has courser and larger threads AND it is to be installed using red thread-locker.

Check back with me on how well they work. I partially botched the installation of one of them, didn't get the tap all the way down (I had thought I had, but when I went to install the insert it stopped before the top was seated) and ended up dremmeling a bit of it off: it's effectively less strong, so if a less-strong install ends up working for me then a proper install will surely be fine! It's been holding together now for 6k miles.
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 16:40   #23
jokila

Fuel Economy: 52/45/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
Two things not mentioned is that the insert has courser and larger threads AND it is to be installed using red thread-locker.

Check back with me on how well they work. I partially botched the installation of one of them, didn't get the tap all the way down (I had thought I had, but when I went to install the insert it stopped before the top was seated) and ended up dremmeling a bit of it off: it's effectively less strong, so if a less-strong install ends up working for me then a proper install will surely be fine! It's been holding together now for 6k miles.
I did one of my mount's bolts with this. I agree the aluminum is weak after repeated reinstallation. It was my third timing belt.

There is nothing worse than being at the point in the timing belt process and realizing the threads are disintegrating as you torque down. I was able to cut the threads right through the other motor mount and seat the timesert. It was a lifesaver to having to wait another day and buy more TTY bolts.
jokila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 16:49   #24
UhOh
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokila View Post
I did one of my mount's bolts with this. I agree the aluminum is weak after repeated reinstallation. It was my third timing belt.

There is nothing worse than being at the point in the timing belt process and realizing the threads are disintegrating as you torque down. I was able to cut the threads right through the other motor mount and seat the timesert. It was a lifesaver to having to wait another day and buy more TTY bolts.
All in all the cost was slightly less than had I bought a new motor mount. BUT, now I have the tool bits and a couple of additional serts for use elsewhere (I have two of these cars). For me it was a matter of not wanting to tear things back apart to swap in a new mount: I was tired and I didn't want to undo any of my TB work (adds increased risk of messing something else up!).
Old May 28th, 2015, 08:57   #25
jokila

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
All in all the cost was slightly less than had I bought a new motor mount. BUT, now I have the tool bits and a couple of additional serts for use elsewhere (I have two of these cars). For me it was a matter of not wanting to tear things back apart to swap in a new mount: I was tired and I didn't want to undo any of my TB work (adds increased risk of messing something else up!).
That was exactly my situation and the cost. I ended up ordering it because I do timing belt work for others and it happened once before to a customer. He ended up ordering a new mount and me having to wait another day or two to finish it. I wanted to be prepared in case it happened again and it happened to me during my last TB work.
Old May 28th, 2015, 14:45   #26
Dimitri16V
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokila View Post

Those are not TTY bolts .
Old May 29th, 2015, 20:58   #27
jokila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri16V View Post
Those are not TTY bolts .
I think you must not be following which bolts I am referring to as they most certainly are TTY bolts.

The aluminum mount that is attached to the side of the engine uses what I believe are three 16mm, non TTY bolts to the engine, but most everyone replaces them. It is the two large bolts that attach to it that are definitely TTY. The threads of this mount get weak and can disintegrate.

The torque on those 18mm bolts is 75 ft lbs, or if you follow the Bentley, it is 44 ft lbs + 1/4 turn.
Old May 29th, 2015, 21:37   #28
UhOh
Veteran Member

^^^ Exactly!
Old May 30th, 2015, 01:19   #29
wrenchman30
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 best befor egr much better now

tty bolts feel like you strip them out when torqued properly, these bolts and many on vw are specified as tty bolts but in reality there just bolts with thread sealer on them, place a new bolt and a old bolt head to thread and the threads will be same length (head will touch each end of bolt)
wrenchman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2015, 04:20   #30
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Quote:
tthese bolts and many on vw are specified as tty bolts but in reality there just bolts with thread sealer on them
not always... sometimes (such as in the case of these vertical engine mount bolts) they're just bolts with an anti-corrosion coating on them... not thread locker...

Yuri

Pereat mundus, fiat musica!
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote