Car won't start....

deltatech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I have a 2004 Jetta TDI BEW engine. My car started fine this morning. I tried to start it after work and it won't start. Battery has juice I jumped with another car. Glow plug light is normal. Air filter looks ok. There is fuel in the fuel filter and my tank is 1/2 full. All fuses check ok with DMM. It just cranks and cranks with no light. I just replaced the lift pump because my car died with a 1/8 tank of fuel-people here told me to check the lift pump and it was bad. Could it be the engine pump???

Last edited:

deltatech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Ok. Is that one of the relays in the top back of the engine compartment?
I tried cranking it and I can't smell any fuel at the exhaust...

deltatech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Ok I found the 109 relay. Looks like from the schematic on the side of it like I would have to jump 87 with 30. 85 is the pole. I called Idparts for advice and they said not to jump the relay. Looks pretty simple though. I have spade connectors and wire.

deltatech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I tested the 109 relay by energising it on 85 and 30. It has a nice solid click sound and there is no resistance acrossed the contacts. I'm thinking fuel pump in the engine compartment.....

deltatech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Yes the engine light was coming on when I was trying to start it. Thanks for the time and effort that you are putting into this problem jcrews. Getting quick responses is very helpful.

deltatech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Hi jcrews. I put the 109 relay back in-didn't realize that it was inverted when I pulled it but it won't go back in any other way. No there is no tach indication when I crank it.

deltatech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
My father in law just called and is in the area. I have to go and get him so there will be a delay in my response...

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
No tach when cranking means the ECU isn't seeing the crank sensor signal. Typically, this means that the sensor is bad, but it could be the wiring.

Thank jcrews for the right question.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
Please check the ignition switch. Attach a meter to fuse 29 and sense DCV to (-). Check for loss of 12V when the starter is engaged.

Last edited:

deltatech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
VCDS?? My father in law brought his scanner-has no codes. All other readable parameters with the engine off check ok.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
I'm concerned about no RPM signal, but it should be verified with an active diagnosis session. There's plenty of good info that can be retrieved to aid in pinpointing the problem's source.

You could pull G28's connector apart and check it. Check the resistance between pins 1-2 and 2-3, 1-3. 1-2 should be low, and 1-3,2-3 should be inf.

deltatech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Ok. G28? Is that the connector to the crank sensor. Location? My Bently manual is home. My car has an automatic trans. Would it be on top?

deltatech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
The connector I found is mounted on the front right side of the head. had to pull a red lock tab and turn ccw to remove. Plugs into the sensor that is mounted in the head. I have no #2 connector. The connectors I have are 1,3,6,7,8. 1-3 was .8 ohms.

Last edited:

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
That's for the injectors. Look towards the middle, follow the speed sensor from its mounting point on the block near the transmission.

deltatech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
The only other gray connector I found was on the transmission. Had no numbers on the many connectors. I suspect it was for the trans. I'm out of time-will have to come back to look at it another time. Thanks for all of the time you put into this jcrew. Happy Thanks Giving.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
ok. It's just a 3 wire connector. Just follow the wire from the sender if it's not immediately visible. It's where the head meets the block just left of the oil filter. There's a black one there for the cam position sensor too.

deltatech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Ok jcrew-thanks. What a day. Fixing broken stuff at work all day and I can't even drive home. Thank goodness my father in law is cool.