FIXED: 2012 Passat Microphone Quality

TDI-Hawkeye

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Greetings all -- I wish to share with you a simple and extremely effective modification I made to correct the bluetooth microphone quality on my 2012 Passat TDI.
Internet research revealed many frustrated owners were complaining about how they sounded to the person on the other end of the call like they were muffled, choppy, "in a tunnel" etc. After my own research, I found the problem to be related to noise cancellation.
The microphone is extremely sensitive. The default position on the 2012 Passat is facing down toward the passenger cabin. I determined call quality increased when the microphone was facing up and away from the cabin and into the quiet roof console area. That's it! Now, to the fix:
What you'll need:
* Small Flat-Head screwdriver with tape wrapped on end to protect plastic paneling
* T20 Torx bit & driver or wrench
Starting look at the roof console:

Pry down the corner of the panel covering the microphone:

Gently pull down the cover & remove by sliding the hinges out:

Use the T20 Torx wrench/bit to remove the two screws (in green) -- the Microphone is outlined in Red in its default position

Use the screwdriver to loosen the clips holding the console into the roof and drop the console down:

Reposition the microphone by removing it from its insert and orienting it to face up and away from the driver's side. The 3 clips that originally held it in place work nicely to hold it in the new position. Make sure that the wire to the Mic is safely tucked under the driver's side front corner of the insert so it is not being pinched:

Reassemble the console in the opposite manner in which you removed it. NOTE: the microphone will rest very tight against the roof console housing in its new position. Just be careful when screwing the console back in so you don't damage the Mic. Now enjoy surprisingly enhanced audio quality free of the ambient noise from the vehicle cabin!

motaghedi

TDI
VW Passat 2013 SE TDI
Passat TDI microphone fix

I'm very interested in your solution, since my Passat TDI SE Manual, with < 700mi, exhibits the same background wind-like noise. I could not see the pictures you posted in your description. Can you send them separately to me?

Pejmun Motaghedi
pman@alum.mit.edu
(562) 965-4173

ESFlash

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI SportWagen 6MT
WOW WOW WOW WOW --- no doubt the BEST ten minute fix ever -- Terrific pictures and DIY explanation. For the longest time folks complained about the voice quality they rcvd from the BT in my 2010 JSW -- I have the "basic" 6 CD no nav system.

The Sportwagen console looked to be eggsackly the same as the one in your Passat. I rotated and angled the mic as you showed, reassembled, made a few calls and no complaints -- I'm going to repost this on the Golf/JSW and Jetta boards with a link to your fotos.

Way Cool and Big Thanks for sharing this -- :)

bird67

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI*
Are there theories as to why this works? It seems counterintuitive to focus the mic toward the roof AND away from the driver, but you can't argue with results. I will make this mod soon, but I'm curious as to why it works.

ESFlash

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI SportWagen 6MT
why/how do it work -- good question -- I don't know if the VW system uses digital signal processing to reduce/cancel noise - - but my guess, is that it does use this inexpensive, and effective technology as the way to reduce extraneous noise.

With digital noise cancellation, a DSP (digital signal processor) receives the input of two microphones. It then compares the received signals and attenuates or completely eliminates any that are identical from both microphones by putting the identical signals out of phase with each other (you can try this with a simple stereo cable; reverse the polarity on one cable, put in a pure sine wave, sum the signal to mono and the sound disappears -- and even tho, we don't live in a pure sine wave world, summing out of phase identical signals vastly reduces their gain especially in the bass fequencies). Thus, priority goes to the signal coming in from one of the two microphones. Perhaps someone at VW zigged when they should have zagged in terms of the mic's orientation.

TDI-Hawkeye

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Hi everyone, I have been recovering from a horrendous sinus infection and haven't been online recently. I'm glad to hear others have had some success with this fix.

As far as why repositioning the mic away helps, my speculations and testing ultimately led me to acknowledge that the microphones are hyper-sensitive. I was literally encasing the microphone in my fist while driving down the road and talking with my wife and she could still hear me -- in fact, could hear me better than when it was left to open air.

For anyone still experiencing too much road noise & static (especially at highway speed) some basic foam (similar to that on earphones/microphones for computers) can be used to further surround & dampen the mic. It literally is just too powerful for its own good.

Otts

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI SEL
I did this mod on Sunday - it was super easy thanks to the excellent instructions - but people I call regularly from my car haven't noticed any difference. Actually, one said it was worse (but that was only one data point so I am ignoring it). I would love to hear what more people have to say about their quality.

Thanks for the mod!!

Whitecloud1

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Mk4 w/ 250K+ . 2013 Passat SEL 45K+
Thanks Hawkeye!

I'm going to try it this weekend. Mine is going in for the 10K service tomorrow and this is one of the few issues I have with the car.

lojeff10

TDI
2012 Passat - 6sp MT
I just did the mod. Hopefully it improves things. Btw, I found it odd that there was no insulation or some kind of sound barrier between console and roof sheet metal. Off to the left or right of the console I saw foam insulation. Curious if rain and wind hitting up against roof is magnified into Bluetooth mic. Perhaps some of that rubber sound barrier material would also help.

lojeff10

TDI
2012 Passat - 6sp MT
Failed for me. Sounds even worst than before. I will be flipping it back and adding insulation.

ESFlash

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI SportWagen 6MT
Turning the mic around proved not to work for me either -- I thought it initially seemed to improve things for a bit -- but everyone says the sound is just as crappy as ever ......no matter what position the mic is in.

mlprater

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Has anyone experimented with turning up the volume? Shot in the dark here, but I wonder if the system continually calibrates itself, and if it cannot hear itself, does not do this as well as it could. And by "hear itself" I mean hear the speakers over the voice of the user and the road noise.

Reason I mention it is that it just seemed to help my girlfriend.

jafische

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 (A3) TDI SEL Premium (Reflex Silver / Moonrock)
I did with high hopes. It made mine unintelligible. Glad it was only a 3 minute fix/unfix. Thanks for the write up anyway. Hopefully it will help others. Thanks.

awtoner

TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I got complaints on my 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI ranging from "fair" to "it sounds like you're at the end of a long tunnel" to "I can't hear you."

Thanks to those for posting previous results and suggestions. My solution was to relocate the microphone module. I took out the trim and moved the module around for a few days, taping it to the headliner until I found a good spot. I was willing to sacrifice keeping it hidden and passenger sound pickup to ensure I'm heard well when driving.

The microphone cable is trapped between the plastic trim and the headliner; that's what holds the module in place.
Full-size link http://i.imgur.com/8EEW0gu.jpg

Once the cover trim is removed, screws are visible to remove the whole trim. Then just feed the module through the side and re-attach the trim. Sorry for no additional pictures; I didn't feel like taking it apart again.
Full-size link http://i.imgur.com/98VrJYD.jpg

There was no insulation between the old microphone location and the metal roof, so I suspect backside wind noise pickup was one issue. I also think VW made some tradeoffs on hiding the microphone, trying to pickup the passenger, and cost.

I also noticed that pointing the open side of the microphone module towards my mouth made audio quality worse. Having it point down seems the best.

I tried calling folks with the air on high and while going 70 mph, and the reports were pretty good. I also left myself a few voicemails. The sound quality isn't as good as using a headset, but seems vastly improved relative to the original microphone location.

Adam

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I tried flipping the microphone upside down and tilted as suggested and the person on the other end of the call could barely hear me over the noise if I was moving.

I may have to try packing the cavity with cotton or insulation. I bet most of the noise is coming from the ledge where the windshield meets the body.

aznav

TDI
2012 Jetta Sedan
I got complaints on my 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI ranging from "fair" to "it sounds like you're at the end of a long tunnel" to "I can't hear you."

Thanks to those for posting previous results and suggestions. My solution was to relocate the microphone module. I took out the trim and moved the module around for a few days, taping it to the headliner until I found a good spot. I was willing to sacrifice keeping it hidden and passenger sound pickup to ensure I'm heard well when driving.

The microphone cable is trapped between the plastic trim and the headliner; that's what holds the module in place.

Once the cover trim is removed, screws are visible to remove the whole trim. Then just feed the module through the side and re-attach the trim. Sorry for no additional pictures; I didn't feel like taking it apart again.

There was no insulation between the old microphone location and the metal roof, so I suspect backside wind noise pickup was one issue. I also think VW made some tradeoffs on hiding the microphone, trying to pickup the passenger, and cost.

I also noticed that pointing the open side of the microphone module towards my mouth made audio quality worse. Having it point down seems the best.

I tried calling folks with the air on high and while going 70 mph, and the reports were pretty good. I also left myself a few voicemails. The sound quality isn't as good as using a headset, but seems vastly improved relative to the original microphone location.

Adam
I FEEL LIKE I WON THE LOTTERY!! Following this thread, I have the exact same problems everyone else has had with the Bluetooth mic problems. I followed Adam's advice (took a literal five minutes - and I'm techno-impaired) and all those I have spoken with today thought I was speaking directly into my cellphone. I was ready to throw it all out I was so frustrated that VW would make such a fine car, a fine radio, and a useless ten dollar mic. Thanks so much, Adam!

DeadCatBounce

TDI
2013 SEL Passat TDI
I don't know how I missed this thread when it was active, but better late than never. After more than a year of putting up with crappy sound on the receiving end of calls made from our SEL, all is well thanks to this five-minute fix. Cheers.

jafische

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 (A3) TDI SEL Premium (Reflex Silver / Moonrock)
dang it. I wish that solution would have work for me.I followed the instructions to a t, and almost made mine sound worse.

Underwhere

TDI
MK6 Jetta DSG
I just deleted my pics by mistake as I was going to upload them.
I moved the microphone to the drivers side. Same position as the factory, just swapped. I dremeled out a small rectangle and drilled out holes in the cover.

I didn't want the microphone dangling out in the open.

I also took foam and shoved it on top of the whole assembly between the sunroof motor

My fiancé says the difference is noticeable. She guesses 30% better.
Now I come in very clear and she no longer insists on me taking her off Bluetooth when talking to her.

Sorry no pics.

Oh and I also replaced my cracked windshield with an acoustic windshield in the hopes of reducing road noise

Last edited:

arto_wa

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 6 sp manual

Adam

Thank you!
Few days ago I did a microphone relocation just like in your photo!

There was a noticeable improvement in sound quality - it went from useless to usable
:)

Underwhere

TDI
MK6 Jetta DSG
Has anyone tried wiring in a new microphone.

Mine still sucks and I've gone through some pretty significant efforts to work with factory equipment.

It's just so dumb that something this simple doesn't work. My 2015 Chevy has much better audio quality.