ECU Services and Malone Tuning

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
For those who don't know me too well, I am providing ECU services such as socketing, Malone Tuning and Immobilizer services.

Here are a list of services I currently offer:

• ECU Socketing 98,99,99.5 Golf/Jetta/Beetle
  • IMMO Delete services for all TDI's including EDC17
  • IMMO delete services for many gas ECUs
  • Malone tuning for all TDI's
  • DSG tuning

To socket ECUs, I desolder the old chips with a hot air station and solder only high quality(3M) sockets.

I can also tune these ECU's as I am a Malone Tuning dealer. I only use quality chips. No knock-offs or ebay chips! Available tunes can be seen here: http://malonetuning.com/?page_id=62
I charge $80+shipping for socketing. If I have an ECU on hand, I can offer an exchange with a $200 deposit which will be refunded after I receive and test your old ECU.
Shipping is generally around $6 to ship via flat rate without insurance.
I am also looking for a couple core ECUs for exchange, PM me if you have one for sale.
Typical part numbers are:
038906018EB (Jetta/Golf)
038906018BD (Beetle)
038906018BK (Beetle)
I have also done some euro ECUs including MSA15 IMMO deletes

I can IMMO delete all TDI ecus, including EDC17 and early MSA15 ECUs.

I provide Malone Tuning services by mail order as well as locally and for get togethers within a reasonable distance. I can tune any TDI ecu available to the North American market as well as DSG - including many gas VW/Audi.

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Friendly bump for those who might be interested

Just socketed 2 more ECUs Wednesday.

dsldan

TDI
96 Passat sedan,96 Passat sedan,96 Passat wagon,97 Jetta
Friendly bump for great service.
Thanks

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I can turn it around next day if you schedule it with me, otherwise I have one on hand and we could swap, Where in MN are you?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Socketing only applies to pre-2000 MKIV ECUs, its the only way to tune them. 2000 on up can be flashed.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
All good questions.

The reason to socket an ecu is so that you can tune them. You've probably heard the term "Chipping your car", this is exactly where that term came from. Early ECUs required chips to be changed in them to tune them. B4 and A3 Passat and Jetta's had sockets from the factory, the early ALH 1998 Beetle and 99/99.5 Beetle/Golf/Jetta did not have sockets, so for tuning them it requires the original chips to be desoldered then sockets need to be installed. See the pic below:

The one on the right is an OEM ecu with chips soldered to the board. On the left I desoldered the chips and soldered sockets in their place. Now the chips can be readily swapped for tuning.

TdiNC

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf 4 door TDI 5-speed
I'm interested in tuning my 04golf tdi. What's the price for Malone?

TDI Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
I am interested in IMMO delete for my 2000 ALH. I read somewhere that the cluster can still throw the IMMO light even if the IMMO chip is removed from the ECU. Any truth to this?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
That is correct if the key isn't matched to the cluster. You can disassemble the cluster and block the light if you want, its not difficult.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Jon,

Can you describe your ESD grounding procedures when tuning an ECU? I'm interested in a Malone tune but am concerned with selecting a tuner that is aware of ESD issues on the ECU chips. I shake my head every time I'm at a meet where the major tuners are opening "newer" ECUs without proper grounding.

Bob

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Bob,

I have heard only a few horror stories about esd issues and the funny part is its always just one person out of 100000 that fries circuits all the time and nobody else ever has issues. I have personally never fried any chips due to static.

That said, my work bench is a grounded metal frame with a wood work surface and while I'm working on any electronics I discharge myself. I don't have any pictures up to see the bench, but while working on an ecu, some part of me is resting on the metal frame.

Thanks,
Jon

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Jon,

Thanks for the reply. I'll PM you soon.

Bob

Soupinmycoupe

Veteran Member
TDI
Manual ALH wagons.
I have a 99.5 jetta with a SMF and upgraded Sachs clutch. I would like to get rid of my warm start issue along with the EGR delete. I still have stock injectors, but would like a stage 1(?) 1.5(?) upgrade. Can you elaborate what i need to do? Do you have a "hot swap" program? Let me know. Thanks. Respond here and/or email me

cLauw750 at yahoo dot com

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Soupinmycoupe, I can certainly set you up with a hot swap. For stock injectors Malone does Stage 1, for upgraded injectors and clutch you can run all the way up to Stage 3.

PM me if you want to move forward and we can work out the details.

Thanks,
Jon

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
PM box full...

Are you doing this for the CR ECUs you tune, if not, is it possible? 2011 golf...

If so what would you charge for the work plus a stock chip? (need it for smog, and would be tempted to go Malone stage 2 if I can go back to stock programming easy).

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Steve I cleaned some space from your inbox.

The CR ecus don't need to be socketed but I can tune them by mail for you.

We do not offer programs that go back to stock, just tuned. You shouldn't have a need to go back to stock. Other tuners who do have a switch to go back to stock would still be flagged just the same in the dealer system if they were to check, the tune is still on the ECU even though its running the "stock" programing.

2010_TDISedan

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
Steve I cleaned some space from your inbox.

The CR ecus don't need to be socketed but I can tune them by mail for you.

We do not offer programs that go back to stock, just tuned. You shouldn't have a need to go back to stock. Other tuners who do have a switch to go back to stock would still be flagged just the same in the dealer system if they were to check, the tune is still on the ECU even though its running the "stock" programing.

Hey, sent you a PM. Hope to hear from you soon!