www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old November 11th, 2012, 19:12   #1
storx
Veteran Member

Default Taco-tdi

I am wanting to replace my 1995 dodge cummins pickup as it was in a wreck a few years ago and its been nothing but a money pit ever since.. I also hate how its an single cab and would love to own an mid size diesel pickup as i own rental propertys and require something to tow around large objects ofton... doors, plants, mulch, wood, drywall

Target trucks are
4DR Ford Ranger
4DR Toyota Tacome

Engine:
ALH - simplicity and seem to be fairly easy to find. Parts are pretty cheap to mod these and build them reliable...

Can i get some advice on which one is better compared to the other. I am not well knowledge on either one and people experience would be my best bet i think on this.
Old November 11th, 2012, 19:13   #2
storx
Veteran Member

I am driving 45 mins tomorrow to go check out this truck. It has an blown headgasket possible timing belt/chain the owner said. What are things i should look for that makes it a bad donor?? price $3800

Last edited by storx; November 11th, 2012 at 19:16.
storx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 22:24   #3
SuperAdellic
Veteran Member

I am not aware of any 4dr rangers on the US market. Maybe in Canada or Mexico??? I know the S10/Sonoma/Canyon/Colorado, Frontier, Dakota, and Tacoma came in 4dr.
In regards to the Tacoma 4dr trucks:
Downside: they only came in automatic, they tend to be more expensive than the others I listed, most of the problems that I have read about are type of use or abuse related. Then again, there's always a lemon in every lot.
Upside: very well supported in the aftermarket, swaps have already been done in Tacomas, the TRD package with the locker is worth some extra money if you can find a truck with it. I'm sure sites like http://www.ttora.com will be able to tell you a lot more specifics on the particular issues to look out for. Good luck and I'm jealous. I've wanted a diesel Tacoma for a long time, especially after driving diesel 4Runners and Prados in Japan.
The Picard is angry!
800 club twice, 900 club 9/27/2013
SuperAdellic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 04:02   #4
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by storx View Post
I am driving 45 mins tomorrow to go check out this truck. It has an blown headgasket possible timing belt/chain the owner said. What are things i should look for that makes it a bad donor?? price $3800

That is a killer deal !!! If you don't I will .... It would be a fairly straightforward swap to manual, but an auto tacoma would be nice... Check for frame rust by poking around with a screwdriver ... Frame rot was a problem on some rust belt tacomas, other than that this seems like a very good price

Last edited by jimbote; November 12th, 2012 at 04:08.
jimbote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:43   #5
storx
Veteran Member

im about to drive up now to look at it..

I was talking with an friend lastnight and he said that the dsg has become so abundant on vortex and junkyards that they are coming down in price because people are swaping them to manuals in there car. He owns an VW BUG that has an Yamaha R1 engine and because of the winter season he adopted an creative AWD system to it thats not really usefull for drag racing but its enough to get out of snow easy...

He purchased an aluminum hydraulic pump and attached it to the engine with an bracked and attached to the engine so its spins as the engine is driven. He fabed up old VW FWD hub assemblys to the front of the bug and attached tiny aluminum hydraulic pumps in the axle shaft areas on the hubs. These small produce only 10hp of hydraulic power so when they are not gripping the fluid is bypassed.

We were talking about the idea of installing an TDI/DSG combo in the car longitude. Then run an custom axle from the drivers side of the transmission to the rear axle. Then run the passenger side output to the front axle.

The other option we were tossing around was to attach an hydraulic pump on both transmission outputs and then install hydraulic motors on both axles to drive them hydraulic..

We are no expert on hydraulics and we understand that is you spring a leak that you cant go anywhere.. well this can be protected by running the hydraulic lines inside some tubular metal pipe for protection. I wanna get some feedback from everything to see what you guys would think about this.
Old November 12th, 2012, 12:07   #6
FredS
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 00 NB-39, 01 Golf-41, 94 Toy-30

Yeah, if that truck was anywhere near me, I'd be on it too. Jim, is that auto standalone controlled? The idea does sound interesting, but converting to a manual would be hard to resist.
94 Toyota Ex-Cab 4x4 (01 ALH) TDTuning-Stg4, PP764s, SBC Custom Clutch, 17/22, 3bar MAP
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 13:57   #7
Hollis16

That's a fantastic deal on that truck. Swap the timing belt and sell it for a 10K profit! engines are non-interference.

I want to swap a TDI into my taco, but I don't think my 3RZ will ever die.....
Hollis16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 16:03   #8
jimbote

the biggest issue with running a TDI/DSG longitudinally in the truck is you will be way undergeared essentially you will be in low range all the time to the tune of 3.?? to 1, where you ideally need to be 1 to 1 or overdrive @ highway speeds ....neat idea btw and would make a great rockcrawler
Old November 12th, 2012, 16:13   #9
jimbote

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
Yeah, if that truck was anywhere near me, I'd be on it too. Jim, is that auto standalone controlled? The idea does sound interesting, but converting to a manual would be hard to resist.
spendy yes but this is it ... http://www.powertraincontrolsolution...anscontrol.php
Old November 14th, 2012, 12:12   #10
storx
Veteran Member

Truck was being bought as I arrived
Beautiful donor
Old November 14th, 2012, 13:21   #11
jimbote

Dang!!...hate to hear that....whenever I see a deal like that I send an email/message that I will take it for price asked no matter what....foot's in the door and refusal is still possible ....next time man!!...hopefully it won't be long before another pops up
Old November 15th, 2012, 09:45   #12
storx
Veteran Member

I did offer upfront... They just I guess didn't believe me
Old November 15th, 2012, 09:57   #13
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAdellic View Post
I am not aware of any 4dr rangers on the US market..
That's because they are called Explorer Sportrac.
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:19   #14
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAdellic View Post
I am not aware of any 4dr rangers on the US market. Maybe in Canada or Mexico???
It depends on how you define 4-dr. There are extended cab versions with rear doors that open just like the extended tacos. Unfortunately mine truck doesn't have those doors. I didn't think it would matter to me, but it is such a pain to retrieve stuff from behind the seats that I wish I had a door. 3-door would be enough.
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 13:03   #15
storx
Veteran Member

Ya I would accept 3 doors but I'm tired of 2 doors