5w30 or 5w40 pd

Kerma06TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
I've read the which oil to use and I know that I'm supposed to run 505.01 spec oil but it doesn't specify what weight. It's an 06 jetta pd and where I live gets cold but I don't think I have ever seen it below 20*f. I have been running pentosin hp2 5w40 for 8k miles now and before I bought another jug just wanted to make sure. I plan on doing an uoa as well when I change it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Yes use 5w-40...either VW 502.00/505.01 or API, CJ-4/SM or SN. The Pentosin is an excellent product.

Tk

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
After the tons of posts I've read and postings of oil analysis with various oils, I have decided that in my ALH and BEW fleet, the only oil I will use is Mobil one TDT 5w-40. A second choice is Shell T-6 and a third choice is pentosin 505.01 high performance HPII.
Bottom line is to use 5w-40 only.

Kerma06TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Okay awesome just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing any damage to the engine. I'll have to look up the shell t6 and the other one that was mentioned thanks again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Shell T6 5W40 has been reported to have a slight edge over M1 TDT in cold weather starts. But I use T6 because it 1) is more readily available in my area, & 2) costs less.

Hmmm, perhaps #2 is the reason for #1.

MyWifesTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL 5M (sold), 2002 Jetta Wagen GLS 5M (sold), 2015 Golf TDI S 6M
Love me some Mobil1, add nary a drop between 10K+ oil changes!

Use Delvac1 ESP 5W-40 in '04 BEW (PD)
Use Mobil1 Turbo Truck Diesel in '02 ALH

Well maintained battery and garage go a long way in cold weather startiing as well.

StevenL

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 Tdi
Im just doing some research. I live in Europe and we are going 15-18k miles between our longlife 507 5w30 spec oils. Ive read alot on here about the benefits of 5w40 for the pd engine and i want to change.
Should i decrease the service intervals though?
Ive read that the 5w30 will thicken up once some mileage is put on them, and detergent is gone. If im going 18k miles odd between changes is it going to be ok? Will the 5w40 get too thick after 10k miles?

I have a sample kit to send my 5w30 UOA off when i drop my current pan of oil, but was wondering how long to keep the new batch in.

The car is a 03 PD with 195,000 miles.

apples12

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 1.9tdi Match, BMW F10 520D
Hi,
I've been using 5w30 Shell Helix Ultra AV-X to 507.00 spec and changing every 8,000 miles for the last 45,000 miles... before that car was serviced every 20,000 miles with 5w30 shell helix ultra oil...

still on original camshaft with no visible wear marks at the last inspection 20,000 miles ago...

vw UK states 5w30, they only sell 5w30... is the 5w40 specific to the states?

StevenL

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 Tdi
From my reading here you can get it over here in Europe too. Mobil do a 5w40. The experience here seems to indicate that the 5w40 offers better protection to the cam. I used to change my 507 Castrol 5w30 every 6-7000 miles until i read on here that i might be doing more harm. Im no expert but it seems at the beginning oil doesnt protect aswell as older oil because the additive detergent package is there to do some cleaning and until that wears off it doesnt protect as good as slightly older oil. Im open to correction but thats what i understand from hours of reading here.

Now ive reverted back to the longlife schedule the car came with.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Steven,

What you want for the PD in Europe is an SAE 5w-40, ACEA E9 rated synthetic. It should last as long as any VW 507.00 product under the same conditions.

Any shear stable oil will gradually thicken due to evaporation, oxidation and the buildup of soot. Oil analysis is an excellent way to customize the service interval for your particular engine and driving conditions, including fuel quality.

TS

stormy

TDI
Seat Leon 5F ST DSG 2.0TDI EA288
Im just doing some research. I live in Europe and we are going 15-18k miles between our longlife 507 5w30 spec oils. Ive read alot on here about the benefits of 5w40 for the pd engine and i want to change.
Should i decrease the service intervals though?
Ive read that the 5w30 will thicken up once some mileage is put on them, and detergent is gone. If im going 18k miles odd between changes is it going to be ok? Will the 5w40 get too thick after 10k miles?

I have a sample kit to send my 5w30 UOA off when i drop my current pan of oil, but was wondering how long to keep the new batch in.

The car is a 03 PD with 195,000 miles.
Hope this helps:

Over here in Germany, besides Diesels fittet with DPF´s, you get the choice between 505.01 (5W-30 and 5W-40) and a schedule 1 year or ~10.000miles, which one comes first is the way to go.
Or you use a 507.00 (5W-30) and a schedule 2 Years or ~20.000miles, which one comes first is the way to go.

All Diesels fittet with a DPF must use 507.00, regardless of which schedule is used...

I, on my part (with a CR TDI), left the Longlife schedule and will change the oil out once halfway :)

This might be of interest:

http://castroledge.com/oil-range/turbo-diesel-5w-40

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9028654&contentId=7029180

Not quite shure what oil is available to you, but the Castrol should be a good choice given the specs it has ;)

StevenL

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 Tdi
Thanks TS.
Thats what im going to do. Im due an oil service soon and i'll post the blackstone OUA in the OUA thread i know you frequent there alot.

Hi stormy, We are the same over here. But from my research the 5w40 that TS mentioned is still a fully synthetic Longlife oil. Maybe not with Vw, but it is with BMW and is used for their LL04 servicing at 30k kms.
So it probably has no problem doing our shorter longlife.

The 505.01 oil that Vw recommend for the 10,000 mile service is if i can recall not a fully synthetic oil but a part synthetic and can be a 5w40.

This only really matters with the PD though as your CR doesnt have the same Cams.

Please correct me if im wrong

stormy

TDI
Seat Leon 5F ST DSG 2.0TDI EA288
Hi Steven,
the linked Castrol was intendet as tip for your car :)
It is not a full synthetic engine oil, over here in germany they are very "stingy" about it. Meaning, by law, a oil can only be called a full synth if it has at least 80% PAO. For example:
http://www.mobil1.co.uk/synthetic-engine-oils/new-life-0w-40.aspx

Ultimate performance fully synthetic engine oil

Same oil in germany:
http://www.mobil1.de/produkte/new-life-0w-40.aspx
No mention of full synthetic, if they dont mention it ;)
This only really matters with the PD though as your CR doesnt have the same Cams
That is correct. My oil of choice is:
http://moto-oil.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=97

They mention it beeing full synthetic, but it is not :)

StevenL

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 Tdi
Its true stormy the word synthetic and fully synthetic has come under the spotlight as companies have exagerated.

Ive been using that exact oil for years (castrol edge 5w30) but i think im going to go with a slightly heavier grade.