www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old October 28th, 2012, 20:16   #1
PIPEHITTERS

TDI(s): 06 1.9l TDI
Default Block Heater?

So i have an 06 Jetta TDI and live in Alaska. I have been looking at getting a block heater for the car. I read to look at frost-heater and that they are the best. So I looked and I like. But talking with the shop here they said that VW dose not make block heaters for the newer models and they prefer you do pan heaters instead because the aftermarket block heater might cause problems.

Anyone deal with any thing like this?
PIPEHITTERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 20:37   #2
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Plenty have installed them. They work very well.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 20:51   #3
rudall42
Veteran Member

Default frostheater kicks

The frost heaters are well worth the money. Here in Colorado plugging a 03 Jetta in for as little as 30 minutes make the car start much easier in temps
down to 10 F to 0F.

20 below? plug it in, or put it on a timer, for a couple of hours and they
fire right up. With a good battery, you don't need to plug the cars in down to
0F in my experience, but they start a lot easier, less cranking, quicker idling if you do, even for 30 to 60 minutes.
rudall42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 22:52   #4
cvalentine
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37-TDI; 26-2.0T

Our frostheater works great. They are much less trouble than a pan heater. My guess is the shop only has pan heaters to sell you.
cvalentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 08:34   #5
PIPEHITTERS

So is the frostheater safe and why would vw not make a block heater for the newer vw's?
Old October 29th, 2012, 08:58   #6
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvalentine View Post
Our frostheater works great. They are much less trouble than a pan heater. My guess is the shop only has pan heaters to sell you.
Bingo!! Shop has pan heaters to sell/install. They have been known to cause some problems, also. Like falling off the pan and into the belly pan and starting a fire. They also don't do much except warm your oil unless you keep them plugged in all the time.
The frostheater/zerostart coolant heaters are the way to go. Couple hours and start like summertime.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 08:59   #7
MonsterTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPEHITTERS View Post
So is the frostheater safe and why would vw not make a block heater for the newer vw's?
They do sell them in Canada. The frost heater is cheaper.The frost heater also has a higher watt heater than VW does.

Quote:
"German engineers do things because they can,not because they should"
MonsterTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:00   #8
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

Quote:
If the newer TDIs are anything like the older TDI engines there wasn't a freeze plug cast into the block to put a regular block heater in. So, they have no need to make a block heater.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 20:35   #9
cvalentine
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37-TDI; 26-2.0T

Quote:
VW doesn't make a pan heater either. Our local dealer sells aftermarket pan heaters because they are easy to install. I had the local dealer install mine (they install them on all new cars they sell), they used duct tape, and it caught on fire. I didn't even get an apology.
cvalentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 21:05   #10
PIPEHITTERS

So how do the frostheaters work? Are they a block of metal that heats the other metal around it or is it pumping hot fluids through the block or something?
Old October 30th, 2012, 21:30   #11
jrip
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44.5/41/39

The Frost heater is connected inline with the water cooling system and heats one side of the water system. What happens is it heats a good part of the motor and when you crank the motor it starts immediatly and the engine gets warm water circulating immediatly. It even allows the heater to blow warm air immediatly to take the chill out of the cabin although it won't keep blowing hot for too long until the engine catches up completely heatwise.
2000 Jetta, 5-spd, Panzer Plate, 5 brake light mod, rear fog light mod, euro-switch, stupid door switch mod, 2007 Sebring antenna, Frost heater, coolant migration mod, EGR Delete, EGR Cooler delete, chip mod.
jrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:57   #12
jtnf
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 48.5 MPG

+1 for the frostheater.
Physically it is a (high quality) commodity electric coolant heater in an external tank... I believe the heater is from the agricultural and commercial equipment market.
Frost packages it with a bracket and molded hose and instructions, and is effective at pre-heating the coolant and oil but as observed the temp will fall upon engine start when the coolant starts circulating.
Mine is the only "mod" I've made to the car and I find it well worth the price of admission, even in "balmy boston."
jtnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 14:56   #13
PeterV
HO5G Doyen & Zen Master

Frostheater.com.

OK Terry IS a TDIclub supporter. You are getting all this free info with NO popups or tacky ads....why we support with donations and vendors do the same thing.

W used to have a magnetic heater. 1. the would fall off and burn the plastic belly pan.. 2. VW went with an alum oil pan magnetic did not work so well there.

I have all 3 of our TDI with the frost heater. ZERO problems.

An added feature is it is located under the battery AND it gives off some heat to the battery and keeps the battery life a bit longer. I got 7 years out of my orig batt.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || VCDS Locator ||
PeterV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 18:57   #14
coalminer16
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf 2004
Fuel Economy: as good as 58 (over 700 miles) and as low as 30 over the same route

It is an "in-line heater" since it doesn't go into the block as there is no plugs to fit into the block. And it heats the engine warmer then operating temps (get a scangauge II if you don't believe it). 4 hours is the sweet spot to get the engine warm and not wast added power heating the engine most have found. A x-mas light timer can take care of the timing for you.
2004 Golf-2 inch lift, Q-loader stage 1 tune
Vag-Com owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmchambers
I really had no idea that VW dealerships were so awful to go to, they sound like undertakers cos everything that goes in there winds up dead.
coalminer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 08:18   #15
PIPEHITTERS

I like what i hear and read im digging the frostheater. One more question why is the dealership saying there aren't any thing that will fit because of freeze plugs. So where and what are these freeze plugs?