www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old February 28th, 2018, 07:52   #91
Gttdigonewrong

TDI(s): gttdi 170
Talking

Has anyone ever solved this problem with cam sensor fault. My 2007 gt tdi has been in 2 different garages now and not fixed in 2 years. Sam fault code as cam shaft sensor.
It’s had:
New ecu 3 times in 2 years
Cam Belt and pulley etc..
Fuel pump
New wiring loom
New cam and crank sensor
Tried all the earths around the whole car
Still not running any help?????
Gttdigonewrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2018, 09:57   #92
oldpoopie

Check engine harness for damage... particularly on top of the starter area but anywhere really where it is enclosed in corrugated loom

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2018, 10:18   #93
Mawcus
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doca View Post
I have the long start implausible signal on the cam sensor on a 2008 BEW. I have replaced the sensor & the starting is identical if I unplug the sensor so I think I have a wiring fault. Can anyone tell me the where the 3 wires go to? what are the ECU pin nos?
Thanks.
Check the cable from the alternator to the battery and make sure all your battery connections are tight and dont wiggle.
This might help to
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...28&postcount=1
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=444620
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=245327 Post #5
It could also be a bad “new” cam sensor. I was getting a cam sensor code. Intermittent-no signal so i replaced it with a new one from a reputable vendor. It failed within a year or two. After chasing around other long start problems and replacing a lot of sh$t i probably didnt need to I reinstalled the original cam sensor and the starting problems went away. I mistakenly replaced a good sensor because the intermittent-no signal fault code i was getting was probably because of a voltage drop between the alternator and battery.
Old February 28th, 2018, 11:41   #94
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

I changed my cam sensor the other day although there were no DTC's or long starting cranks. Getting the new sensor in place and keeping it there to put the bolt back in was very tedious. Took several attempts along with a few breaks. I locked the bolt in the 10mm socket with the finger tip of a disposable glove and had a rag under the work area. Got a new grommet from a dealer.
Since the crank sensor cable was susceptible to heat damage, which I changed last month; I figured the cam sensor could go at any time.

Last edited by JB05; March 1st, 2018 at 04:21.
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2018, 14:23   #95
fruitcakesa
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40's

Compared to my ALH's which almost would start with the heat of my fingers on the key, the 04 was a long crank starter from day one.
It always started but it usually required a few seconds of cranking and often more. But never enough of an issue to diagnose and fix
I did search the forum and found a TSB for a wire fix in the ECU that addressed long crank times. I bought the repair wire and immediately put it in the glove box.
More recently the car threw a cam position sensor code.
This time I addressed the issue and replaced the CPS.
Pretty straight forward install if you remove anything that could possibly interfere with hands and tools when placing and securing the sensor and if you pull the vac reservoir it makes getting the new rubber plug back in without dropping it into the nether regions of the engine
TOTALLY FIXED. Starts instantly like the ALH's