www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old February 3rd, 2014, 07:00   #61
drywaller
Veteran Member

TDI(s): VDUBS

Not that I am aware of. The wires coming out of the cam sensor plug are not shielded. So I assume they are not shielded anywhere down the line. Hope that makes sense.
drywaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2014, 15:46   #62
jettasetta
Banned con artist and self-proclaimed victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by drywaller View Post
Not that I am aware of. The wires coming out of the cam sensor plug are not shielded. So I assume they are not shielded anywhere down the line. Hope that makes sense.
Cam sensor, and/or crank sensor ... crappy wires.. Crappy ground… someplace near the fire wall or not .... ***? Incompetent dealers, mysterious sh*t no one can figure out! Cam-timing settings that differ on every car. Was each car randomly thrown together by workers with brain injuries or was the quality control department on leave when they designed these cars? Is there no real mechanics who can fix both sensors, wires and grounds once and for all or is this just some sort of referred pain with a cause elsewhere, like the pain in my ass caused by fault codes. Why is this one so damn convoluted?
Drywaller, … that name in combination with the avatar picture brings up another irreconcilable conflict, that is similar in kind…, I want to make the attempt but I’m afraid I might get burned.

Last edited by jettasetta; February 5th, 2014 at 15:49. Reason: 2nd thoughts ...
jettasetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2014, 20:17   #63
drywaller
Veteran Member

Jetsetta, please feel free. Bet your way off.
Old February 8th, 2014, 13:02   #64
Dimitri16V
Veteran Member

Quote:
Dimitri, any luck with your sensor?
new sensor was the fix
No more hard starting , better fuel economy , much more torque , smooth idle etc..

The old sensor was reporting rubbish , found the torsion value actually at 2.9 which made the idle rough. Moved camshaft CC about 5mm and it is at 0 deg now. I think the wiring is intact since it has been rainy and the car has been driven hard and no issues.

lesson learned , do not attempt timing belt change if you have cam sensor errors. Since the ECU defaults to 0 deg , the cam timing could be anywhere . i made that mistake 9 months ago and the car was smoking , drinking fuel and making my life miserable.
Aleksander Prokhorenko , Charles Keating ,Russian and US special forces KIA against ISIS. RIP heroes

Last edited by Dimitri16V; February 8th, 2014 at 13:08.
Dimitri16V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 13:07   #65
Dimitri16V
Veteran Member

Quote:
Guys, how difficult would it be to just bypass the factory cam sensor wires and replace them with new wire altogether? An overlay of sorts. Also seems to me that 14 gauge wire would suffice?
the way I would do is to run 3 new wires straight to the ECU connector wires and solder them there. if you have an intermittent short somewhere , ohming out connections won't do $hit
You do want to check the ECU grounds to the (-) battery pole. I always run extra grounds from the battery to the cylinder head and to the ECU

here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exz4f4RfBFY

PD uses the 2nd type sensor with a transistor inside .. which explains why it could go bad
Aleksander Prokhorenko , Charles Keating ,Russian and US special forces KIA against ISIS. RIP heroes

Last edited by Dimitri16V; February 8th, 2014 at 13:13.
Dimitri16V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 15:39   #66
drywaller
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri16V View Post
new sensor was the fix
No more hard starting , better fuel economy , much more torque , smooth idle etc..

The old sensor was reporting rubbish , found the torsion value actually at 2.9 which made the idle rough. Moved camshaft CC about 5mm and it is at 0 deg now. I think the wiring is intact since it has been rainy and the car has been driven hard and no issues.

lesson learned , do not attempt timing belt change if you have cam sensor errors. Since the ECU defaults to 0 deg , the cam timing could be anywhere . i made that mistake 9 months ago and the car was smoking , drinking fuel and making my life miserable.
Dimitri. Our situations are similar. My car ran great. Fast starts smooth idle and plenty of power. Shortly after doing the timing belt change then problem started. I replaced the sensor and the problem went away for a short time. I wonder what caused the sensor to fail?
Good to hear yours is worked out. Did you run new wires to and from the ecu?
Old March 3rd, 2014, 13:51   #67
drywaller
Veteran Member

I just finished replacing The of the three wires coming from the cam sensor plug. The third wire (black w/yellow stripe) terminates to an area just to the drivers side of the battery box. I did not disassemble that "area" yet. It looks like some sort of relay or something. Really not sure. Does anyone have any idea what that part is for?
Old July 3rd, 2014, 20:08   #68
fungi131

TDI(s): 2005 golf
Default replacement grommet

I just replaced my sensor. The grommet broke apart when I removed it. Does anyone have a part number or source for the replacement?

found the part numbers for anyone interested: 038971904 ; 1E0-971-904; 1E0971904

Both Impex, and ECS have them listed.

Last edited by fungi131; July 5th, 2014 at 20:53. Reason: Part numbers found
fungi131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 14:31   #69
toastie

TDI(s): 2010 Ibiza
Default hello everyone . im new and already need some help :(

hi , iv read through the thread and it all makes sense but im still left confused .

the story so far ! i gort myself a little 1.4 Ibiza dti (2010) and love it but its starting to be harder to start once warm so stuck it on the magic boz thing and im told the Camshaft Position Sensor is playing up . so not to bad news and i get one and stick it in today but rater than being better it was worse .

Basically now cold its the same as when its warm .

So i swap back to the old one and it goes back to how it was in the first place so i repeat the hole thing twice with the same results .

so whats the chance of the new part being faulty ? i cants see it being a wiring problem as its so predictable but seems odd its worse with the new one than the one thats bringing up the fault code .

iv tried it not plug in at all and its exactly the same as with the new part fitted ..

is it possible iv got the wrong part ? the wire on it is about 3 inch longer but it looks the same and the plug fits properly .

thanks loads for any info . i look forward to being part of whats looks a interesting and useful forum .

cheers t
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2017, 10:17   #70
toastie

ps does the ecu need programming for the new censor ? ta t
Old August 27th, 2017, 15:24   #71
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
ps does the ecu need programming for the new censor ? ta t

No but are you getting or were you getting a fault code? I had a fault code and the car would take longer to start all the time and randomly cut out. A new sensor cured mine.

I'm not sure it's a cam sensor thing if it's just hard starting when warm.
Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2017, 09:50   #72
toastie

ye i was getting a code witch ties in with the longer to start warm thing.

now the old ones back in i will get it read again .

just seems odd it was worse with a new one than the old one that was bringing up the code . you would think at lease it would be the same (well i would think)

cheers t
Old August 28th, 2017, 16:51   #73
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
ye i was getting a code witch ties in with the longer to start warm thing.

now the old ones back in i will get it read again .

just seems odd it was worse with a new one than the old one that was bringing up the code . you would think at lease it would be the same (well i would think)

cheers t
When I replaced mine it threw my timing out, I'd set it with a bad sensor to start with. It could be you need to redo the cam timing.

Engine, measuring blocks, group 4 and Check the 4th section, you ideally want it as close to 0 as possible.
Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 09:42   #74
toastie

blimy , iv got no idea how to do that il have to stick that in to the experts ,

i was told today i should make sure the codes are reset after changing is so the ecu starts using it again , i guess that makes sense ? , iv sent this one back so will get another and give it a shot , fingers crossed its was just a bad part .

cheers for help t
Old August 29th, 2017, 15:18   #75
toastie

is anyone sure if i need to clear the codes after fitting the new censor in order for it to work properly ? it would be very helpful to know . cheers