www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old January 12th, 2014, 08:30   #46
drywaller
Veteran Member

TDI(s): VDUBS

Dimitri, funny you mention that. When checking my wires of the four or five that were chaffed the only one from the can sensor was the green stripe wire. Perhaps it was worn thru all the wires and I did not notice it. I'll check that again today.
drywaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 11:46   #47
drywaller
Veteran Member

OK. So I checked my wires again paying close attention to the ground wire. It in fact does ground when checking it to the cylinder head. Doing a resistance check it shows 00.5 on my fluke meter. How can I check the sensor to see if it is my problem? I already checked the timing belt and the sprocket shows right in the middle of the adjustment range. Has to be the sender right?
Old January 13th, 2014, 14:34   #48
Dimitri16V
Veteran Member

my "fix" only lasted for a day or so. Long cranking came back again ..

I have a sensor coming in but I will dig out the T60 connector and check on that ground "fix" the dealer did back in 2005 . Those VW techs don't know how to properly crimp wires together
Aleksander Prokhorenko , Charles Keating ,Russian and US special forces KIA against ISIS. RIP heroes
Dimitri16V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 13:52   #49
Dimitri16V
Veteran Member

Replaced sensor , it responds OK. Found that my cam setting is actually 2.5 deg while old sensor reported 1.5 deg

Ohm out old and new sensor , identical values
Aleksander Prokhorenko , Charles Keating ,Russian and US special forces KIA against ISIS. RIP heroes
Old January 19th, 2014, 13:56   #50
drywaller
Veteran Member

Dimitri I have yet to get a new sensor. But when I replaced it the first time around everything was fine. Then all of the sudden it quit reporting torsion values. I would be curious to see if you have the same problem as I did.
Old January 19th, 2014, 17:14   #51
Dimitri16V
Veteran Member

we will see

Mine has been flakey for at least six months and I have been getting hit with less mpg , rough running and plenty of smoke in warmer weather
Old February 1st, 2014, 18:54   #52
drywaller
Veteran Member

Guys, how difficult would it be to just bypass the factory cam sensor wires and replace them with new wire altogether? An overlay of sorts. Also seems to me that 14 gauge wire would suffice?
Old February 1st, 2014, 18:56   #53
drywaller
Veteran Member

Dimitri, any luck with your sensor?
Old February 2nd, 2014, 03:30   #54
Franko6

I stand corrected and willing to admit I was wrong. I appreciate the info as much as the next guy. We have a few cars that this cam sensor issue might just be the trick on the hard start.
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 07:16   #55
drywaller
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko6 View Post
I stand corrected and willing to admit I was wrong. I appreciate the info as much as the next guy. We have a few cars that this cam sensor issue might just be the trick on the hard start.
Frank, are you referring to the cam sensor failing there for needing replaced?
Old February 2nd, 2014, 07:52   #56
Franko6

We have had several dicey issues with PD cam sensors and crank sensors. Recently, we had a crank sensor that was intermittent that wouldn't fault code. It finally got bad enough that wiggling the wires would increase the problem.

What I am referring to in my error concerning how difficult the cam position sensor is to remove. With a rubber plug removed, it can be removed without disturbing the timing belt. Also, I lost this thread for some time and knew that I had mixed up some info. Instead of being unable to start or run the engine without a CAM SENSOR, it is that the engine will not run without the CRANK SENSOR.

We have seen both crank and cam sensors have issues without giving fault codes, which is aggravating. We have several 'long cranking times' for a few vehicles that we don't want to simply throw parts at.

You would think a crank sensor would code when the signal is wrong. As an example, we had one customer who thought his initial setting of '0' in the torsion value was great for a first try. Then he found out he couldn't change it at all. The cam sensor was a 'no read' and was using the ECU's default input. Some cam/crank sensor wiring faults are not caught in ECU fault codes.
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta

Last edited by Franko6; February 2nd, 2014 at 07:55.
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 08:07   #57
drywaller
Veteran Member

I too get lost in following these threads. Easy to do.
Frank, do you suppose that the cam sensor itself can be damaged by the sensor wires chaffing causing a ground or short to each other? I ask because I replaced mine and a month or so later got a cel. When I pulled that code it was related to the glow plugs. I ordered two plugs in anticipation of need I g to replace one. But before I got them the del went away then the hard starts were back. Can the two be related somehow?
Old February 2nd, 2014, 11:40   #58
drywaller
Veteran Member

Frank, would it be unwise to replace all three cam sensor wires cutting just short of the ecu and cam sensor plug and splicing in new wires?
Old February 2nd, 2014, 21:06   #59
drywaller
Veteran Member

Anyone?
Old February 3rd, 2014, 05:52   #60
DanG144
Veteran Member

I have replaced the faulty wiring on a BEW crank sensor, and drove on it for several years that way, with no issues.

You would want to do a very high quality job with the wiring. Is one of the wire pairs a shielded wire - wire inside a coaxial wire sheath- for the cam sensor?
DanG144 is offline   Reply With Quote