Timing belt seam?

mainer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta | 10 JSW
I have an ALH with 221k on it timing belt was replaced with kit form IDparts using a 100k mile continental belt. The belt was done on 7/20/10 with 158k on the car.

I was planing on swapping belts in the spring probably around 75k. but popped the cover off today to see what it looked like. Found what looks to be the seam where the belt was stitched together but I'd like another opinion.

Otherwise the belt looks fine, the crack or seam is only in the top layer and it looks as if there are stitches running perpendicular to the crack.

What do you think??

Cooper

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
Interesting. Does anyone know if that is the way that all cogged belts for this application are designed? Is the Gates brand belt similar. I am fixing to replace my tb in a few weeks.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, they all have a seam of sorts. The Dayco brand (one of the OEM suppliers to VAG, and the newest version), seems to have the least-noticeable seam on a new belt. I have all 3 on the shelf here right now.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
Thanks OH, I'm having a trusted guru do mine in a few weeks. I was going to order a Gates branded kit, but he stocks the kit for my BRM. It may be a Conti or Gates belt tb that I get, but as long as it's a 100,000 mile belt, the brand is irrelevant.

jessabug

Veteran Member
TDI
Hubby's 2001 Jetta TDI, '84 IDI turbo diesel Jetta
Wow...I had no idea he sold his own brand of belt. That is completely terrifying...

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
The seam is only on the very outer layer .... So no worries .... It's amazing to watch the belt making process .... Your belt was cut from a very wide belt that was built by wrapping many layers around a spinning drum ;)