www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 12:37   #1
cmadtmifyb0623

Default My 2000 VW Jetta TDI automatic transmission problems.

Okay so I have a 2000 VW Jetta TDI with 188,866 miles with an automatic transmission. The engine and transmission is all original and never been replaced and its getting up there when the transmission is going wacko. After I shift into 4th gear (obviously it has nowhere else to go) it jumps like 200 rpms as if I keep going over bumps in the road and I'm not. Should I replace my transmission fluid? That also has never been changed. Or I did find an automatic transmission that came from a 2003 VW Jetta 2.0L (gas) with only 37,000 miles. Or should I find a rebuild kit? And if I do a rebuild kit which kits are the best? I need help which one should I do?!
cmadtmifyb0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 12:41   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

You did not give us much to go on, so I'll throw some in this thread.

First, that 01M transmission is a notorious weak spot. If you got 188k out of it, you did good.

Second, while I do replace a crap-ton of 01Ms, I also do make certain that it is indeed an inner transmission mechanical failure before I recommend the customer spend a LOT of money for a replacement. That includes checking the TCM for DTCs, checking the ATF level and condition, etc. Some times things can be fixed for a relatively modest amount, but right now you'll need to get a scan tool and do some basic quick checks first.

I would NOT recommend trying to rebuild it, unless you like yanking it in and out over and over again just for fun.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 12:50   #3
cmadtmifyb0623

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
You did not give us much to go on, so I'll throw some in this thread.

First, that 01M transmission is a notorious weak spot. If you got 188k out of it, you did good.

Second, while I do replace a crap-ton of 01Ms, I also do make certain that it is indeed an inner transmission mechanical failure before I recommend the customer spend a LOT of money for a replacement. That includes checking the TCM for DTCs, checking the ATF level and condition, etc. Some times things can be fixed for a relatively modest amount, but right now you'll need to get a scan tool and do some basic quick checks first.

I would NOT recommend trying to rebuild it, unless you like yanking it in and out over and over again just for fun.

Oh it's not even close to being done yet. It's running still I'm just preparing cause I'd rather have a backup tranny instead of rolling onto the side of the road and then out $125 for a towing fee. Where can I find a scan tool and how much are they?
Old October 2nd, 2012, 13:41   #4
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: life time average above 50 MPG

I understand cmadtmifybo623's frustration.......I've had the same experiences as well. I believe he was getting the answers he needed (maybe not what he wanted to hear) from Oilhammer.

Oilhammer is more than a guru ...... and, he provided an excellent response! The OP, in his best guess, responded by saying it (tranny)....."it's not even getting close to being done yet" (close to going kaput). Well, at 188k miles, it is a SWAG (Scientific Will Arse Guess) as to whether or not it is about to go kaput. But, we should all see his point,,,,, he knows one day in the future (maybe sooner than later) his 01M tranny is going to fail ...... he was searching for answers to his options (and maybe more options).

Lastly, I do believe he is in the right Forum for such a question!
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 13:48   #5
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBees View Post
Now, Oilhammer ........ don't be difficult to 'em newbs

We all want quick answers to our questions ........ shoot, why use the search function when a guru might be lurking on-line!

One of my customers, who also lurks here, said once to me "You know, you are like the TDI Superman: 'I'm always around Lois, I'm always around.' "

I will be taking a few days off, though, after today.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 17:01   #6
cmadtmifyb0623

Okay. Still no answers to my question. I thought I posed a question not "talk however you want here" thread. Go talk somewhere else cause clearly no one knows anything here.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 17:07   #7
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

Well if you believe no one knows anything here then you should go buy whatever transmission you want from anyone you want without doing any diagnostic work.

There are smart people here with lots more experience than you but of course you can ignore them and do what you want but don't complain about it.
Wavetrac LSD, PP520's with RC4, VNT17/22, Flying Kasper FMIC 3" OMI, Whitbread 2.5" downpipe, PD lift pump, South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch, steel skid plate, Wingnut inspired EGR mod, MyCruiseAgent no drill EGT, MoGolf skidplate mod
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 18:01   #8
JBTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Chris View Post
Well if you believe no one knows anything here then you should go buy whatever transmission you want from anyone you want without doing any diagnostic work.

There are smart people here with lots more experience than you but of course you can ignore them and do what you want but don't complain about it.

+1,000!

You got an accurate answer from one of the very knowledgeable gurus on this site.
Feel free to post your car in the For Sale section, or listen, your choice!
Old October 2nd, 2012, 18:13   #9
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

The only question unanswered is where to get a scan tool. A simple search will reveal that Ross-Tech is the best choice. But you're going to have to learn how to read and interpret the results so refer to the excellent posts by CoolAirVW on that subject.

Oh, and you are about 100,000 miles past due for a fluid change.
flee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 18:19   #10
MotorCityMadman
Veteran Member

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...eHYElEFDcmceIw
MotorCityMadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 18:52   #11
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: life time average above 50 MPG

The OP got good advice here (considering how he worded his introductry post) but in my opinion has chosen to ignore it!

Last edited by AndyBees; October 3rd, 2012 at 07:56. Reason: Clarification
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 06:18   #12
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

I suspected a young punk... but I didn't expect it to be a girl.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...&postcount=245

Chill out a bit, sometimes things go a little off topic, but you can glean a great amount of info from the people around here if you don't cop an attitude.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 07:29   #13
MotorCityMadman
Veteran Member

Yes, there is an incredible amount of knowledge and experience here. It is unfortunate that members get worn down answering the same question over and over. In a perfect world people would use the search function and knowlegeable members would count to ten before typing.
MotorCityMadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 16:30   #14
GIDDY_UP_GO
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39mpg (But I drive 80mph alot!)

Nothing like a newbie with an attitude. Looking for free advice, got said advice from one of the best sources of knowledge on the site, then turns and disses him!
2010 Jetta TDI 80k mi
THIS WILL MAKE YOU CRY!
GIDDY_UP_GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 14:24   #15
relsen16

I also am having the same problem. Could it be as simple as changing the transmission fluid or am I going to have to get a new trany. My pocket only go so deep just looking for the steps to take to find out the problem. I have a 2002 vw jetta with 1.9l tdi automatic with 257◊◊◊ on it

Last edited by relsen16; July 14th, 2014 at 14:26.
relsen16 is offline   Reply With Quote