www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old January 14th, 2001, 22:36   #1
TDIdaddy

Default Need more 12v outlets

I need more 12v power outlets. I always use a radar detector, and on longer road trips I also use a CB, and occasionally I need to plug in the cell phone.

Where can I tap power for a tripple cigaret lighter outlet? On my Pontiac Bonnivilles I just shoved the wire in a fuse and clipped groung to some metal. I don't think this would be a good idea in my Jetta.

------------------
2001 Jetta GLS Auto.
Met. Green/Tan Leather
Sunroof, Monsoon
TDIdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2001, 07:48   #2
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Default Re: Need more 12v outlets

Hi,

Why not go in behind the existing cigarette lighter and tap in there? Just remember that's a 15A circuit. But you shouldn't exceed that with your intended use. I'm not sure about A4s, but the cigarette lighter fuse is a real pain to access on the A3s.

If you're looking for a switched source, I used the "remote" for the stereo. It's the unfused lead from the ignition that stays hot until the key is removed. A word of caution: put a fuse in there. An accidental short cost me about $75 to get a new ignition switch (the electrical part, only) installed. The $3 fuse install will prevent future meltdowns.

Good Luck,

------------------
Scott's Jetta TDI Page and TDIClub.com Stuff
98 Jetta TDI w/100k, 802-mi/55-mpg (best)
Stealth TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2001, 08:45   #3
STNK BG 1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

2001 NB has THREE "outlets", one in dash, one in center console, and one in hatch. Power outlet overkill!!!

------------------
2k1 NB 5 spd Yellow. CD changer, mud flaps. No engine mods
Putting my trust in German engineering.
Gisteren een droom...heden werkelykheid
STNK BG 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2001, 13:38   #4
chopchop
Veteran Member

Why not just use a triple outlet extension from the existing socket, then you don't need to interfere with the wiring at all?
chopchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2001, 16:52   #5
The Ripster
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45-50

I had this same problem when I wired in a hands free kit, I did not want things hanging all over the place from outlets. If yours is close to my 99.5 Golf (I am betting it is) then under your feet, after removing the panels you will see three large bolts on the bottom of the beginning of the fuse panel with large red wires running to them.
Test them, you will find one is hot all the time, one is hot when the key is turned on.
FUSE all lines running to these points, but this will enable you to run anything within the car and hide all the connections.
The Ripster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2001, 16:48   #6
GotDiesel?
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 60/46/38

I recently bought a duplex cigarette lighter adapter so I could charge the phone and run a GPS simultaneously. I saw a 3-holer while I was at the store, but couldn't imagine a use for the third spot so passed on it.

I think the 3-holer was about $20.

GotDiesel? is offline   Reply With Quote