www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old September 24th, 2012, 13:06   #1
Aridzonan

TDI(s): 2001 GOLF
Default Slow Death of a Vacuum Pump

I've got a 2001 Golf TDI with a 1.9l diesel. I had the joyous experience of cleaning out my totally obstructed intake manifold. Using the "Redneck" method http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oet4qWeZuYA I also used a BBQ brush to clean up the carbon residue that was left. Immediately I got a boost. But, my vacuum pump was dieing slowly. My brake pedal got stiffer and finally no turbo and no Engine Codes. So, I swapped out my vacuum pump and still had a problem. This is in praise of Canadian_Grizzly's "Diagnosing and Fixing Limp mode for A4 1.9TDI". My problem was my N75 solenoid it did not have the prerequisite resistance (sub 25 Ohms). After changing the N75 Waste Gate solenoid and all of my vacuum lines as per Canadian_Grizzly's procedure http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=179589. I still had a problem. I had an inline vacuum check valve in backwards. Once I had that corrected my amazing VW TDI turbo came back to life with a vengeance. I also performed one other modification. I installed a BMW Oil Separator R29921664 in an attempt to mitigate Intake Manifold fowling. There are others oil separators on the market. I can't vouch for this one yet. Once again, thanks to Canadian_Grizzly for his sage post.
Aridzonan is offline   Reply With Quote