ASR - anti slip regulation

KJT

TDI
2012 wagon
Is this the same as traction control? I have an '12 wagon and I push the button near my shifter, but I don't see any noticeable light that tells me its on or off. It does, work cause I do see the orange triangle looking thing when the tires slip.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
It is traction control. I am not sure how it differes from other brands, or the specifics on how it works, but wouldn't mind knowing.

You have to push and hold the button a sec or two to disable it. You will hear a beep, and see "ASR Off" flash on the MFD, as well as a orange light on the cluster.

When you take it off, you can rev past 2500 rpm in N stopped.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Is this the same as traction control?
Basically yes. ASR is traction control (to prevent wheel spinning under slippery conditions). Our cars also have ESP (Electronic Stability Program) which is supposed to help control (eliminate?) skidding going around corners. Both selectively use individual wheel's brakes to try to improve either traction or stability.

I am not familiar with what is on a Canadian wagen. On my '09 US Sportwagen, I have a button marked ESP and when ESP is turned off, it does light a light on my dash. Obviously yours is a little different.

Have Fun!

Don

KJT

TDI
2012 wagon
Holding down the button worked and I do see something on my cluster telling me its turned off and I see the icon in my dash. Thanks for the help.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
In what cases would you want to turn it off anyway? I don't mess with it, but it is the first time I had a car with it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
climbing a decently snow covered driveway or hill, some slip is good.

BTW if the car starts to slide sideways with TCS off, the ABS/ESP will still apply whatever brakes are needed to keep you in a straight line, and only way to bypass that is pulling the ABS fuse.

IE no E-brake power slides :-(

peytah

TDI
2010 JSW TDI, 6 sp manual, Pano roof, lifted
climbing a decently snow covered driveway or hill, some slip is good.

BTW if the car starts to slide sideways with TCS off, the ABS/ESP will still apply whatever brakes are needed to keep you in a straight line, and only way to bypass that is pulling the ABS fuse.

IE no E-brake power slides :-(
I can attest to this. It is damn hard to put these cars sideways, even with the e-brake. I managed to do it at about 45mph on an empty snow covered highway, but the inputs were extreme.

forcedfedbug

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta, Totalled late 11. 2012 Passat TDI w/DSG and a 2012 Golf TDI. Golf traded for a 2013 beetle
ASR - and traction control

ARS --- Automatic slip regulation does not use any braking according to the manual it simply cuts engine power to stop the wheels from spinning. Reducing tire wear from burnounts. The ESP does use braking and is used with ARS and ABS to make the car more stable however is not the same as dynamic braking stability that VW uses in the GTI and some other '12 models that can brake all 4 tires and work to control the car in corners(XDS).

Ron

VarmintSlayer

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Trendline TDI 6spd manual Black
EDL-also plays a part at low speeds, it uses the ABS to apply the brakes to the spinng wheel. Not sure if mine has this...i don't think it does, but i maybe wrong.

I only have ASR on my 09. The Canadian Trendline models had ESP as an option.

Even with the ASR button off, it still reduces engine power, just not as much.

No 3 point turns for me in snow covered parking lots.:)

Last edited:

glennco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG
If you're starting off on an extremely icy road shutting off ASR can help you get moving as well. Even my wife's old '99 Saturn has the ability to **** off traction control