www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old September 7th, 2012, 18:03   #1
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Default Michelin Defender XT, A Good Buy/Decent Tire?

Its time for new tires on the Jetta. I relly like Michelins and the current tires on it are Michelin Primacy MXV4. I was getting ready to order a set through Costco, but they also have available a new Michelin model, the Defender XT. It is about $5 less (no big deal), but it has a 90,000 mile tread wear warranty (the Primacy's tread wear warranty is 60,000 miles), so it probably will last a bit longer than the Primacy. Here is the marketing blurb for the Defender XT:

Michelin - Defender XT™

Item #: 665776
  • Michelin's best standard passenger car/minivan tire ever offering 90,000 miles* of confident driving through exceptional safety, longevity and a quiet, comfortable ride so that you can protect those you care about most. Look for the Defender tire line at retailers nationally and the Defender XT line at Wholesale Clubs.
  • Stops up to 31 feet shorter than a leading competitor**
  • Lasts up to 21,000 miles longer than a leading competitor†
  • Can save up to $250 in fuel @ $3.50 gallon††
I do see a difference in the speed ratings between the two tires. the Primacy is a H (130 MPH) and the Defender is a T (118 MPH). I assume this is not an issue, because the Defender is listed as a choice for my Jetta.

Any opinions about this tire over the Primacy? Thanks.

--Nate

Last edited by PDJetta; September 7th, 2012 at 18:08.
PDJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 18:19   #2
LRTDI
Veteran Member

To get that kind of mileage, you have to be compromising grip.
LRTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 18:26   #3
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Isn't that the WRONG LOAD RATING for your car? Check the tag on the door sill to be certain.

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 18:31   #4
PDJetta
Veteran Member

I just checked the Michelin web site for the Defender and did the "does this tire fit my vehicle" it said that it does not meet VW's specification for the '04 Jetta. Its the speed rating. Odd that Costco lists it for the Jetta. I know Costco won't install a tire that does not meet the vehicle manufacturer's specifications, such as the Michelin Hydro Edge (weight rating is too low).

--Nate
Old September 7th, 2012, 18:32   #5
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40X40 View Post
Isn't that the WRONG LOAD RATING for your car? Check the tag on the door sill to be certain.

Bill
The load rating is the same: 91. The speed rating is too low, I found out.

--Nate
Old September 7th, 2012, 18:52   #6
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Cool, I have found that rotating my tires each oil change make them last longer than they are rated for. As a tire reaches its' end of life, the wear rate seems to slow, but they are more likely to hydroplane. There comes a time when I have to buy new tires even though they have many miles of (by measurement)tread left. (for safeties sake)

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 21:17   #7
fossill
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf
Fuel Economy: 59 mpg hiway/55 mpg city

yes i agree with that. I replace mine when they are 70% wore out for my summers and 60% wore out for my winters. I find that at this point they hydroplane too easy and grip next to useless in extreme winter conditions.
fossill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 07:17   #8
truman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossill View Post
yes i agree with that. I replace mine when they are 70% wore out for my summers and 60% wore out for my winters. I find that at this point they hydroplane too easy and grip next to useless in extreme winter conditions.
I think that is a pretty good rule of thumb. I had a set of Daytons at one time that were absolutely scarey in the rain at 50%. Driving tires down to the wear bars makes no sense to me. I pay attention to how my tires are behaving in the rain. Any hydroplaning and those tires will be gone.

Last edited by truman; September 8th, 2012 at 07:19.
truman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 16:59   #9
PDJetta
Veteran Member

I just put a plug in the tire where I picked up a screw (this will be a good test of a $5 tire plug kit I bought years ago) so I can drive the car without using my steel rim spare (I have alloy wheels) and next week I'm going to buy the Primacys at Costco. That's when I can use their $70 off coupon for a set of Michelins. There is about 10,000 miles of life left (until the wear bars are reached) I estimate, but I got over 70,000 miles out of them anyway and I'll take others' advice about being safe by replacing tires before the wear bars are reached. I did rotate the plugged tire to the rear.

--Nate
Old September 8th, 2012, 17:23   #10
j29

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature...&v=PYZje_jl4LU
Check out the plug kit here. We drove many km after this,we had two or three plugs in the holes (eight at final count) to stop it from leaking. But we made it home without pulling the spare out.
I am now throwing the tires out.
j29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 20:59   #11
y2kbird
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45-50mpg

PDJetta, just curious why you are choosing the primacy's versus the defender xt's at Costco when they go on sale next week? T-119mph vs H-130mph speed rating? I've pushed my jetta alot but never got up to 119mph.

PS: Sams club may have the defenders in stock, and their Michelin $70 discount on 4 tires is already running now through 9/30. Sams club item #912905 for the defenders $117.12 each.

Last edited by y2kbird; September 9th, 2012 at 21:18.
y2kbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 01:31   #12
wpeets
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38/39

I bought the defenders a few weeks ago at Sams with the $70 discount they seem fine to me. Good ride and quiet. I will be happy with 40 to 50 thousand. Tires do loose traction before the wear bars show. They did mention something about the speed rating I wasn't paying much attention. I'm happy with the purchase. The old tires were getting noisy.

05 Jetta TDI 5-spd hers
04 Chevy Duramax
(2) 1959 Restored 435 John Deeres W/253 Detroit
diesel hers.
1959 Restored 435 John Deere W/253 Detroit diesel his.
wpeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 07:56   #13
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

This thread is a good read regarding the defenders and the speed rating.

I was sort of bummed about this myself, they planned to be my next set of tires as well.
Old September 10th, 2012, 10:45   #14
TDIBone

This might be a helpful comparison as well:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=161
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:15   #15
Clayslayer
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56/39/45 hi/low/avg for the Jetta, the F-150 gets 20-21mpg give or take

I bought a set of Defender XTs in 195/65R/15 from Sams Club on Sunday. Got them on the last day of the $70 discount. $488 out the door with 4 new tires, mounted, balanced, road hazard warranty, etc. Sams is a good place to buy tires.

So far they seem great. I have no complaints. Time will tell to see whether or not they will affect my mpg but if they do I doubt it'll be much. Given how lousy my last tires were it'll likely improve if anything.

Yes the speed rating is lower than what is recommended by VW. I was supposed to get the Primacy MXV4's according to the tire selector however the 118mph rating of the Defenders is greater than the max speed of the car sooooo why bother? Load rating is the same. I rarely (if ever) go faster than 80mph anyway.

The Defender costs less and lasts longer. And it's a Michelin. Win Win in my book.
Clayslayer is offline   Reply With Quote