www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old August 29th, 2012, 13:38   #1
rolotomassi44
Veteran Member

Default Car won't start, will turn over but not start. Help please!

This sucks,

So I made the trip back to Indiana safely. No problems really.

I go to start my car just now, temp on display says 92F. Car starts and dies immediately. I cycle the ignition a few times (in case some priming was needed). The engine turns over perfectly fine. But it won't start!

Now keep in mind my red led dash display fades with heat. On the last turn a coolant light came on and said something like "top of motor", well that's all I could make out anyway. I just ordered a vagcom off eBay. It should be here before Sept 4th. No check engine light has come on.

Help me!
rolotomassi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 13:41   #2
rolotomassi44
Veteran Member

Oh did I mention my car was towed yesterday? My landlord had made a mistake. There was no noticeable damage and it was dollied. Car drove perfectly fine afterwards and started fine.
Old August 29th, 2012, 13:59   #3
rolotomassi44
Veteran Member

Tried again, no warning came on. Still won't start.
Old August 29th, 2012, 15:25   #4
hevster1

TDI(s): 98 NB
Fuel Economy: 40-42

Umar, I am assuming it cranks ok. It could be as simple as a clogged fuel filter or bad in tank fuel pump. Pull the fuel line from the tank, have someone crank it and see if fuel comes out. It is only 5psi but it should flow. It could be electrically related, such as no power to the fuel pump or ecm for example. It could be a blown fuse. Check all fuses. A locked turbo could cause a no start as well. Disconnect the intake tube and if it starts up that is probably the cause.
If it doesn't crank well, it may be a bad starter or battery.
NJ's best shop performing Quality Repairs on TDI's, Toyota, Lexus, Scion and other European and Asian cars as well as Motorcycles & ATV's. Written warranty, reasonable prices. ASE L-1 & A-9 Master re-certified. NEW LOCATION: Montague NJ. Hunter Wheel Alignment. Snap-on Tire Service.I don't need to have specials, my prices are better already!
www.mmautocycle.com
hevster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 15:29   #5
thundershorts
Veteran Member

what do you mean by warning? when you turn key on do you have a mil light (cel)?
Old August 29th, 2012, 15:47   #6
thundershorts
Veteran Member

fast or slow cranking speed?
Old August 30th, 2012, 06:29   #7
rolotomassi44
Veteran Member

Managed to start the car with my spare key. After doing so, my normal key starts it now.
Old August 30th, 2012, 07:10   #8
1854sailor
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Great!

???Gremlins???
Old August 30th, 2012, 07:22   #9
rolotomassi44
Veteran Member

haha, I have no idea. It was REALLY hot yesterday (but that hasn't stopped it starting before). I'm thinking it could be the immobilizer in the key, strange enough, considering it decided to start this morning.
Old August 30th, 2012, 08:11   #10
BobZ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: as high as 41 mpg

Does the glow plug illuminate when turning the key to the "on" position when it does not fire up? If it does not - replace relay 219. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=245377
80a fuse is for the glow plugs
15A fuse is for the injectors
10A fuse is for the heated oxygen sensor
219 is the power relay for the ECM, and also supplies power to the fuel pump relay.
05 Passat owned since new, chainless since 120,000 with Franko6 cam at 200,000 & GDE Tune + 01 Jetta 220k on the road and improving as we go + 01 Golf 320k TDI added to fleet and work in progress + 96 Burb with just 145k towing camper and hauling 6 kids and B E A U T FUL wife!
BobZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 08:25   #11
rolotomassi44
Veteran Member

Yeah I remember browsing the forums and seeing this. My glow plug lights were coming on as usual which leads me to believe relay 219 is not the problem. Thank you though Bob.
Old August 30th, 2012, 08:33   #12
BobZ
Veteran Member

No problem - It can present as an intermittent problem until it leaves you stranded. I did also have an issue with my tandem pump that caused a similar problem... Quite frankly, I think it was more 219 related though as it controls the fuel pump and the glow plugs and I think they are on separate contacts within the relay. The glow plug light is just a tell-tale sign. It is a cheap replacement to rule it out and cheaper than a tow.
05 Passat owned since new, chainless since 120,000 with Franko6 cam at 200,000 & GDE Tune + 01 Jetta 220k on the road and improving as we go + 01 Golf 320k TDI added to fleet and work in progress + 96 Burb with just 145k towing camper and hauling 6 kids and B E A U T FUL wife!
Old August 30th, 2012, 08:41   #13
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

The new 219 relay is upgraded for better reliability. It's worth changing it out pro-actively.
Malone tune, GTI Wheel with paddle shifters, Premium 8 Sound, Good camshaft & DMF, 155K miles, Black on Black, HIDs by Jeff, 4 new wheel bearings!
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 08:54   #14
BobZ
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
The new 219 relay is upgraded for better reliability. It's worth changing it out pro-actively.
My updated one lasted as long as the original... I am onto the third at 194,000 miles. Actually, the original lasted more miles than the "updated" one...
Old August 30th, 2012, 08:55   #15
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobZ View Post
My updated one lasted as long as the original... I am onto the third at 194,000 miles. Actually, the original lasted more miles than the "updated" one...
Sounds like you need to carry a spare one.
Malone tune, GTI Wheel with paddle shifters, Premium 8 Sound, Good camshaft & DMF, 155K miles, Black on Black, HIDs by Jeff, 4 new wheel bearings!
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote