2012 TDi HPFP update

GodStang

TDI
2012 Jetta
Story: As some of yall know 17AUG12 I was driving my jetta TDI (10900 miles) and all of a sudden it just stopped in place. VW sent a tow truck to come get it. Get a call 18AUG12 that I put bad diesel in. Tank had 380 miles on it. Then was told I picked something up from the bottom of the tank. Long story short I picked my car up today and here is some info. While there they had our paperwork sitting on the counter. When the lady walked away we snapped pics of it since it was theirs.:

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Is that your replacement pump or the failed pump ? If it's new looks like you are getting the old stock German built pump rather than the czech built revision . This also confirms they are not replacing tanks anymore .

GodStang

TDI
2012 Jetta
Is that your replacement pump or the failed pump ? If it's new looks like you are getting the old stock German built pump rather than the czech built revision .
That is the stock dead one that checked out.

Here is the new one:

Last edited:

Snoman93

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Was there any total price including labor? - From your list there with parts and tax almost $8000!!! then at $85 and hour or what ever they charge WOW!!!:eek: I am thinking it was a good thing that I got the extended warrenty....

coers

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW JETTA TDI, BLACK EXTERIOR AND INTERIOR AND 6SPD MANUAL
Dang sorry to see that. So do you always put 5%biodiesel and below when you fuel up. Around here I've found out there around 11% unless you pay more for the non biodiesel.

GodStang

TDI
2012 Jetta
I do not have any totals. My forms have zero prices on them. As far as fuel it is just what is ever typical from Exxon.

Blackheart

TDI
2010 sedan
I am thinking it was a good thing that I got the extended warrenty....
I have the VW RealDriver extended warranty, too. Do you think that covers this? I'm going to call them to see if I can get it in writing.

Well, I called. The phone line kept cutting out (think there is a problem with the HPFP in the telephone line?), so it was difficult to talk to the person at VW RealDriver Warranty, but, he clearly said that the HPFP WAS AN ELIGIBLE ITEM, and to take it to the dealership to begin a claim. I told him, again, that I had no problem at the moment, I was just wanting clarification of it's coverage. FWIW.

Last edited:

rob6188

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Looks like the same part number with a newer manufacturing date, built in a different country. Just guessing. Any way to tell if this is a different revision?

pinkertonfloyd

Veteran Member
TDI
14' Subie Outback FMR: 12' Jetta TDI/P+N
Was there any total price including labor? - From your list there with parts and tax almost $8000!!! then at $85 and hour or what ever they charge WOW!!!:eek: I am thinking it was a good thing that I got the extended warrenty....
$85 an hour... wow, I wish I could find a shop that cheap in California. The INDY shops run $100 around here. Dealers are $100-180/hr.

GodStang

TDI
2012 Jetta
$85 an hour... wow, I wish I could find a shop that cheap in California. The INDY shops run $100 around here. Dealers are $100-180/hr.

Ya it is not $85 around here either. We are writing a letter to VW right now but need to file with NTHSA. As far as pumps the parts guy said it was a totally different pump. No idea if that is true or not.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Say WHAT???

I'm confused :confused::confused::confused: was this covered under warranty, or did you have to pay for it because of a claim you put "bad diesel" in it?

Because I don't see how even bad diesel would destroy the pump that quickly, certainly not to the point of lots of metal shavings, nor do I see a fuel analysis test. Seems to me that you got a bad pump from the factory.

All I can say is for $8,000 in parts for if the pump goes... is a good reason for me to have been using Opti-lube almost since Day one.

Cheap insurance.

http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
Whats that report? Never seen that one before..............................:rolleyes:
Lol

Me neither. Opti-Lube must be produced by Jesus himself.

Now if that brand new never before seen report could just explain how so many HPFPs implode while running nothing but 2-5% bio for its entire life...

Grievous Angel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (traded after Diesel-Gate)
My car is a ticking time bomb.

I'm going to run out of warranty quickly as I'm putting over 20k/year on it. I imagine if I have an HPFP failure after the warranty expires (and before the 1.9% loan is paid) I will owe more on the car than it is worth. I've already had the thought to just leave it at the dealer if it happens--and let VW Credit come get it.

I don't need credit any more anyway.

shane772

TDI
2012 Jetta Sedan TDI
Lol

Me neither. Opti-Lube must be produced by Jesus himself.

Now if that brand new never before seen report could just explain how so many HPFPs implode while running nothing but 2-5% bio for its entire life...
This report has been around a long time in the diesel truck circles . . . Nothing new here

rob6188

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Assuming a reliable hpfp is now available, how much would it cost to just replace the hpfp once the warranty runs out but before it breaks? I assume a bunch of the $8-$10k is for the entire fuel system. Maybe 2k?

I read somewhere another theory that the hpfp failure is being caused by some ceramic parts in the injectors? So replacing the hpfp is moot. I don't know.

I just hope it doesn't affect my resale value when I trade in or sell after warranty..

Last edited:

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
Try being me. On my way to 45,000 in one year. Minus the rattles, this car drives great. Just wish VW could man-up over this thing and stand behind thier product. I'm out of this car at 60-80k miles. Taking a loss if need be. Dont need the hassle. Hello Mazda or Jeep grand cherokee diesel. I know I'll take a hit in MPG but its not worth the worry.

Especially since finding metal flakes in my fuel filter at 20,000.

Scratchy101

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Golf TDI, now 2015 Mazda CX-5 & 2018 Nissan Leaf SV
Assuming a reliable hpfp is now available, how much would it cost to just replace the hpfp once the warranty runs out but before it breaks? I assume a bunch of the $8-$10k is for the entire fuel system. Maybe 2k?

I read somewhere another theory that the hpfp failure is being caused by some ceramic parts in the injectors? So replacing the hpfp is moot. I don't know.

I just hope it doesn't affect my resale value when I trade in or sell after warranty..
Cost of the HPFP is listed in the photo with the price quote above.
As for ceramic in the fuel, that's not gonna happen. Fuel does not come in contact with ceramic discs.

Note also, the cost of a new tank is included in this quote.

11JTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Try being me. On my way to 45,000 in one year. Minus the rattles, this car drives great. Just wish VW could man-up over this thing and stand behind thier product. I'm out of this car at 60-80k miles. Taking a loss if need be. Dont need the hassle. Hello Mazda or Jeep grand cherokee diesel. I know I'll take a hit in MPG but its not worth the worry.

Especially since finding metal flakes in my fuel filter at 20,000.
One of the major reasons I traded for my current car...16 months and 44k miles...too many horror stories for me, and it was irritating that I had to put foam pads on plastic panels on a brand new $25k car to keep everything quiet. Then, all that money you saved on fuel? Goes right back into maintenance!

I loved the car, but couldn't justify keeping it.

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
On top of that I'm also getting the run around on my intercooler kit I ordered last February after having starting issues. They said they ordered it, a few came in, but I didn't get a call.