www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old August 20th, 2012, 13:26   #1
bhodgkiss
Veteran Member

Default Common weight save items on tdi engines

HI guys

Not looking for expensive items like carbon bonnets and bucket seats.....

But cheap or free weight save off the front end of our tdi's
Any weight off the front end has to be good.

Items I have so far:

Engine cover remove 0.75kg
Egr valve delete 0.5kg
Air con remove (mine didn't work anyway) 20kg
Bonnet insulation remove 0.5kg
Battery in boot 18kg
washer bottle in boot 2kg
Decat pipe 2kg?
Ported head
Lightweight airbox heatshield 0.25kg

Things I thought might be good:

Smaller oil filter 0.5kg
Alloy cam cover. Do these exist? Surely they must? 0.3kg?
Alloy front uprights off audi a6 (for my PASSAT) 6kg lighter then steel
Alloy upper suspension mount plates " " 1kg

Sensible thoughts please!

I've probably done the biggest gains already but good to check I'm not missing anything obvious

Thanks
AFN Wagon | Fjord Blue | BV43 | 11mm IP | R520 | PD Lift Pump | Ported head | 3bar MAP | SRE Clutch | FHN G'box | Forge FMIC | PD130 intake | EGR delete | Decat | Custom Remap | Porsche 4-pot 312mm Brakes | KW V1 | Carbon Upper Strut Brace, RS4 Lower | H&R 32mm Front ARB | Whiteline Rear ARB | OZ Ultraleg 18" Satin Black | OEM Xenons | Bucket seats | Battery & washer bottle in boot | 100kg removed |

Last edited by bhodgkiss; August 20th, 2012 at 13:29.
bhodgkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 13:33   #2
m1ketdi
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Leon BKD
Fuel Economy: 50+mpg

De-turbo must be a good weight save :P.
m1ketdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 13:43   #3
Lex4TDI4Life
Veteran Member

Rear seats weigh a ton. Ditch em.
RC2, Bosch T4-764 injectors, OMI, SBC Stg 2 Clutch, Koni FSDs, TT LCA Bushings, The Mystery Bar, Dieselgeek Panzer Plate, Elephant Hose, DG Race Pipe, Autometer Cobalt Boost Gauge, Boostvalve,Fumoto Valve, Mufflerectomy, Scangauge II
Lex4TDI4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 13:55   #4
bhodgkiss
Veteran Member

50kg is not to be sniffed at!
Looking at front weight save not rear!
AFN Wagon | Fjord Blue | BV43 | 11mm IP | R520 | PD Lift Pump | Ported head | 3bar MAP | SRE Clutch | FHN G'box | Forge FMIC | PD130 intake | EGR delete | Decat | Custom Remap | Porsche 4-pot 312mm Brakes | KW V1 | Carbon Upper Strut Brace, RS4 Lower | H&R 32mm Front ARB | Whiteline Rear ARB | OZ Ultraleg 18" Satin Black | OEM Xenons | Bucket seats | Battery & washer bottle in boot | 100kg removed |
Old August 20th, 2012, 13:56   #5
joseluis.17g
Veteran Member

I've done almost all of what you have and I honestly didn't feel the difference until I drag race vs a friends tdi same year and everything.

You could also do a lightweight flywheel I don't think you'll mind the extra rattle and could save 10 pounds easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 20th, 2012, 14:03   #6
bhodgkiss
Veteran Member

With rear mods like no back box and no spare wheel etc its easily 70kg lighter than stock so call it 5% or 7HP plus the weight distribution and braking improvements. All good fun and looks stock which is what I want
Oh roof rails gone too for a cheeky 4kg high up save!

Last edited by bhodgkiss; August 20th, 2012 at 15:01.
Old August 20th, 2012, 16:22   #7
joseluis.17g
Veteran Member

Maybe ditch the front swaybar,
Engine undertray

Old August 20th, 2012, 16:50   #8
dieseleux
Théoricien -TDIClub Contributor

TDI(s): Jetta TDI 02
Fuel Economy: 4.2L/100km

Rear battery....

Dieseleux

dieseleux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 04:26   #9
VWBeamer
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42.79 mpg Woot!

How do you fit a smaller oil filter? and how can it save .5 kg when the stock filter doesn't weigh that much?
Old August 21st, 2012, 05:09   #10
m1ketdi
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Leon BKD
Fuel Economy: 50+mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWBeamer View Post
How do you fit a smaller oil filter? and how can it save .5 kg when the stock filter doesn't weigh that much?
On the screw on type oil filters you can get shorter filters. Half the length of the filter saves some weight and you need less oil in your engine with less filter to fill...
m1ketdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 05:40   #11
GTiTDi
TDIClub Enthusiast
Macht Schnell! Vendor
w/Business number

Location: 3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachusetts

Ditch the front sway bar, It will only be more fun to drive with out it!
GTiTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 05:45   #12
PeterV
TDIClub Enthusiast
HO5G Doyen & Zen Master

Braile has a battery it is small. Indeglobulewagon had a thread going some time back on weight saving. might do a search for that.
PeterV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 06:12   #13
bhodgkiss
Veteran Member

Thanks guys,

- Yes battery is already in the boot, I don't mind it being full size as I need more weight in the back.
- Rear sway bar will go on too to help reduce understeer and add weight in the back.
- Yes the oil fill can be less with a smaller filter
- Removing the front sway bar, is this a serious suggestion? surely the whole car becomes a rolling mess (albeit balanced) This can't be good??? Think I'd rather add a rear instead.
- Front undertray removal just allows the engine/ancilliaries to be covered in crap (salt etc) and reduces mpg as the undertray helps a lot with aerodynamics (and noise.)
Old August 21st, 2012, 06:49   #14
devonutopia
Veteran Member

Carbon bonnet is worth having seen how heavy the original bonnet is - in my case it was about 25kg VS 5kg....

Lighter flywheel helps. Not sure what a dual mass weighs - I am guessing about 30lb, maybe 35lb? My flywheel weighs 16lb, so thats in theory over 8kg saved just in the transmission.

You could remove the front crash bar?
http://www.devoncardetailing.gb.net/
devonutopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 07:32   #15
joseluis.17g
Veteran Member

Removing the front swaybar it is a serious suggestion.
I ran with the front disconnected, it balances the car, less understeer and the extra body roll is not that big
And about the front crash bar, well that seems a little bit to drastic for safety reasons but you could always drill some holes.
And if you end up with a light front maybe you could also ditch the power steering