2006 Jetta TDI - Quits for no reason

Sand Bag

TDI
'06 Silver Jetta TDI manual & '11 Audi Q7 S-Line V6 TDI
I have an interesting situation. I've done some searching but can't seem to find any posts that are exactly the same occurrence as mine.

On my way into work this morning and about 1/3 of the way through my normal commute (45miles one way) my car just stops running. Beings it's a manual I simply tried to start it again while coasting. I get nothing, and there are no indicator lights illuminated on the dash. So I signal to pull over. My exterior turn signals work, but nothing on the dash or normal clicking noise from the turn indicator flashing. After I come to a stop I try a couple more times to restart the car. No success, however my DRL’s are working (and that is indicated on the dash) along with the interior lights. So I pop the hood get out and do a quick engine compartment inspection, & check the battery. There is nothing out of place or suspicious. So I hop back in, still nothing. I do a double check under the hood. Get back in, fires right up, just like normal. However to my surprise there is no CEL or MIL light indicated at all. Instead of going to work I head back home. I encounter the same quit and start procedure one more time before I get home. It seems you have to give the car 5 minutes to reset itself before it will entertain starting again.

Now I do have an air bag MIL on and had the car scanned about 2 weeks ago and found out the following code:

Address 15:
Airbags Labels: 1K0-909-605.lbl
Part No SW: 1K0 909 605 AB HW: 1K0 909 605 AB
Component: 6A AIRBAG VW8R 034 8000
Revision: 05034000
Serial number: 003B6D075UE3
Coding: 0013889
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000 VCID: 6CDC23F04F90D69
1 Fault Found:01218 - Side Airbag Igniter; Passenger Side (N200) 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent - MIL ON

That though should have nothing to do with the car shutting down like it is. Any suggestions or info would be of great help!

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Obviously there is a reason...

1. Key switch?

2. If not the above, then the circuit providing either power to the switch or the relay picked by the switch.

3. Then (assuming a relay) a question of why no power to the relay.

The following only applies to your problem in a general sense:

My son has an A4 and came to me with the a/c and radiator fans not working. I placed a gauge on the a/c line and everything started to work. Nothing obvious and nothing I'd done. And so I suspected that perhaps I had a bad pressure switch.

Several days later the same problem. This time VagCom failed to report the fan (comfort) controller. And so a new part was ordered. Thank heavens not expensive.

Controller arrived. No joy. In the meantime we had done some research on the Internet. First thing mentioned was to REMOVE and check the gang of 30 amp fuses atop the battery. (I'd already checked for voltage, but had not removed them.)

Just as we has been instructed, one of the fuses had suffered corrosion on one side. We cleaned up the whole assembly, placed a new 30 amp fuse and fired up. All of the sudden we had fans, a/c, and all was well.

I have a feeling that you'll find a simple answer here. Good luck.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
You didn't say if the starter worked at all when you attempted the restart. Also when did you change your fuel filter? Always the first thing to do in this case. I had that same problem with an older diesel car before, that 5 mins is enough time for crud to settle in the filter canister. In any case just change the filter and see what happens.

So basically once you stop the crud settles to the bottom and you're able to startup again. Now if the starter turned the engine over and it's not electrical..you have some other issue

Last edited:

Sand Bag

TDI
Nord - Thanks for the pointer. I had thought of looking through the fuse box or checking grounds. Just strange that it wouldn't start for a little while and then fired up like nothing was wrong. Also the fact that the DRL's & turn signals would work when nothing else did throws me. Makes me think an error code some where.

narongc73 - When I turned the key nothing happened, no starter, no dash indicator lights, nata. Only my DRL's and interior lights. As for fuel filter it was going to be replaced at the next oil change interval. I wouldn't think a fuel filter or crud would cause the vehicle to shut down and disable everything. However I'm not an expert and it could be a safety measure built in to prevent damage.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Well if nothing happened when you turned the key I'd go with what Nord says..

Nord - Thanks for the pointer. I had thought of looking through the fuse box or checking grounds. Just strange that it wouldn't start for a little while and then fired up like nothing was wrong. Also the fact that the DRL's & turn signals would work when nothing else did throws me. Makes me think an error code some where.

narongc73 - When I turned the key nothing happened, no starter, no dash indicator lights, nata. Only my DRL's and interior lights. As for fuel filter it was going to be replaced at the next oil change interval. I wouldn't think a fuel filter or crud would cause the vehicle to shut down and disable everything. However I'm not an expert and it could be a safety measure built in to prevent damage.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Definitely an electrical issue. If it always comes back to life after several minutes, that sounds like a relay behaving like a circuit breaker (don't believe there are any circuit breakers on the car).

A good starting point is what Nord said (under-hood fuse panel). I would also clean-up all the grounds and main power distribution circuits under the airbox. Here are more details on them: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=331439

Sand Bag

TDI
Well I went through all the the grounds and connections on the frame, fuse box, and battery. Nothing looked terrible at all. I cleaned all of them put some dielectric grease on and reconnected. I pulled and checked all the fuses which none were blown or had any sign of corrosion. I'm not sure how to check a relay and the fuse box diagram in my manual looks much different from the one in my car (manual shows a 54 fuse box and mine is much less). So that isn't much help.

Anyway I took the car for a spin and was about 2.5 miles away from home and the car shut down again. Waited 5 minutes and fired it back up turned around and had one more shut down about 1/2 mile from home. No faults, MIL's or CEL's. This is really frustraiting.

I'm stumped here as what to do for the next step...besides taking it to the dealer.

Last edited:

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Thanks for the previous two (2) posts. I missed that thread when occupied with other matters this year

Sand Bag

TDI
The FIX!

Well the J329 Power Supply Relay was the issue. Stopped at the VW dealer on the way home from work yesterday and picked up p/n: 1K0 951 253A for $12.50. Replaced the relay when I got home, let the car run for 10 minutes then took it for a 14 mile round trip. I drove it into work this morning as well. No issues to report at all!

Thanks runonbeer for posting aNUT's thread. That was a huge help! Also thanks to everyone else for the input and knowledge!

As pointed out in other posts the Relay Panel is under left dashboard. To gain access:
-remove two T20 Torx screws from Panel (directly above pedals)
-remove panel by gently pulling down to disengage from front snap tab
-detach footwell light harness connector from panel
-disengage diagnostic connector from panel (need small screw driver)
-reach up underneath dashboard & press on locking tabs to release Vehicle Electrical Control Module from dashboard support frame
-Lower Module to gain access to relays.

The Relay is on the lower left side of the Vehicle Electrical Control Module. It has "460" printed on the relay (its the "460" relay near my thumb in the picture below). The relay is in tight and has apposing snap tabs on either side to hold it to the module. I wedged two small screw drivers on either side to ensure the snap tabs would stay disengaged while I removed the relay.

Reverse the above process to close everything back up!

Last edited:

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
For under $13, this might be one of those relays to purchase and keep in the tool kit in the event they are ever needed on a long trip. Much like the relays for the Mk4s.

Thanks for the photos

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Actually J329 would be the new J317
And 460 the new 109 (or 601 depending on how you look at it ;) )
:confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek: Any way, I think I am going to purchase one and put it in the glove box just as I have a spare 109 relay in the ALHs. This weekend I will crawl up under the dash to eyeball it. My travels take me too many miles from home. If I travel with VCDS & laptop, some tools. I might as well. Now that I am thinking about it, I should probably buy a Honda or Toyota, leave the crap at home and "drive more & worry less".:D

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
It's just my oblique sense of humor and semantics. J329 is a circuit designation and 460 is the somewhat meaningless (to me) number printed on the relay itself. I was just trying to be funny.

jamez

TDI
2006 jetta
I had the same problem

I just wanted to thank you for posting this information. After my 2006 Jetta did the same thing but would not start anymore I did some research online and found this post. I replaced the relay and it fired right up!:)

Sand Bag

TDI
Glad this post could be of some help! Always nice to find someone else can benefit from you previous experience in a good way (for the most part)! :)

Midnight Rider

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD
I too had my 06 quit, stumble, dash lights flicker, or be just dead or die. So dead in fact that not even the hazard lights come on. This all happened within a few weeks.

I replaced the relay and have not had any problems since then, nearly 2 months now.

Thanks!

dougsbug

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle
Please help- I am just about ready to resort to taking it to the dealer.

Our Jetta (manufacture date 03/06) has developed a bad habit of quitting on a regular basis. On the hour long commute, about15 minutes into the drive, the engine will jerk, (sort of quit for a second) but continues to run with much less power, the oil light will come on, the traction control, glow plug, etc. all lights!

If you pull over, turn off the engine for about two minutes, you can start right up and drive normally. Generally without incident for the remainder of the drive, but may repeat.

After reading the forum, I thought I would replace the 109 relay (whoops, my car does not have one.)

VAG-COM gave me a code for an engine position sensor. I replaced the Cam pos. sensor and thought all was well-- until it happened again.

I checked all wires visually, and did as much pinch and pull as I could. I removed the battery and air filter box and did not see any damage, (yes I did dig into the plastic cover the best I could.)

I did a continuity test on the three wires from the cam pos. sensor and they checked out.

What is my next move? I need this car to be reliable starting next week!

dougsbug

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle
I did the VDCS scan. My conclusion from that, although I am a novice, was the cam position sensor. I'm back at square one. Is it the computer, wiring, or some kind of a relay?