www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

Old August 14th, 2012, 20:12   #1
bluelineman
Veteran Member

Default AC not working properly

I have a 2011 Jetta with 55k miles. It's been really hot in Texas lately, averaging anywhere between 100-105 every day. My AC intermittently gets lukewarm, then gets cold. It doesn't seem to matter if it's at idle at a stop light or going 70 mph. I've switched back & forth between fresh & recirculated air, turned it off/on again, different speeds, etc. Anybody got any ideas?

In comparison, my 2000 F150 (with new AC compressor) gets ice cold, no matter what the temp. Usually I have to turn it down after it cools up the interior.

EDITED TO ADD: I have VCDS, although I just know how to do basic functions.

Last edited by bluelineman; August 14th, 2012 at 20:56.
bluelineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 22:18   #2
ARGH
Veteran Member

i know on my brothers 2012 gold tdi the ac could not keep up until he remembered to set it to max ac recirculated setting. then it was fine.
ARGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 22:29   #3
bluelineman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARGH View Post
i know on my brothers 2012 gold tdi the ac could not keep up until he remembered to set it to max ac recirculated setting. then it was fine.
Done that & just about every other combination. Still not working well.

Old August 15th, 2012, 03:23   #4
Joe_Meehan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid-upper 40's city upper 50's - low 60's Highway

If it were mine, I would take it to a good local (independent) A/C shop and let them check it. They have the tools and experience to get it right.
Old August 15th, 2012, 11:11   #5
pdt165
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Meehan View Post
If it were mine, I would take it to a good local (independent) A/C shop and let them check it. They have the tools and experience to get it right.
This, Alot of AC shops will do a free or cheap diagnosis. And at least when it comes to A/C it doesnt matter that its a diesel.
Old August 15th, 2012, 11:13   #6
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

A few seconds with a scan tool may help, but I am not 100% certain on that platform where to look for A/C pressures. They dumbed down the HVAC so much on those.

The compressor is most likely bad, the RCV inside specifically.
Old August 15th, 2012, 18:39   #7
bluelineman
Veteran Member

I just ran the VCDS & got no codes. Now I'm more confused.

It did act a little better today while driving, it was only in the mid 90's today.

When I ran the VCDS with the engine on, both fans were on & it cooled. If I turned the engine off, but ignition switch on, the fans were not running, only the blower motor & it was lukewarm at best.

Old August 16th, 2012, 04:15   #8
oilhammer

Well, the engine needs to be running on that car to turn the compressor, and the compressor needs to be working to make pressure in order to turn the fans on.

I am looking into how/if you can read refrigerant pressure via the scan tool. VAG went back to a non-electronic HVAC system on the decontented American Jetta to my understanding, so this data may be somewhere else.

You have VCDS, can you access the "climate control" function at all?
Old August 16th, 2012, 07:54   #9
schoeman

I agree with the other - take it to a AC shop.

I have a 2011 manual transmission and have found that under hard acceleration, the air is not as cold. It is almost as if it is trying to save power to accelerate, It is only noticeable when it is really hot, 100+. Driving normally it is fine and sometimes I have to turn up the heater since it gets too cold in the car!

While we are on the AC... Everytime I start the car, it switches on the AC and Recirc. Is this something I can change?
schoeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 13:14   #10
pdt165
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeman View Post

I have a 2011 manual transmission and have found that under hard acceleration, the air is not as cold. It is almost as if it is trying to save power to accelerate, It is only noticeable when it is really hot, 100+. Driving normally it is fine and sometimes I have to turn up the heater since it gets too cold in the car!

While we are on the AC... Everytime I start the car, it switches on the AC and Recirc. Is this something I can change?
This is a common issue among people with our car.

If you have the temp all the way cold it is on "MAX" which is automatically on recir. If you turn the knob one click clockwise the recirc goes off.

If you go play with those settings youll see what I mean. Just leave it one knotch off max and it wont come on anymore.
Old August 16th, 2012, 20:03   #11
bluelineman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Well, the engine needs to be running on that car to turn the compressor, and the compressor needs to be working to make pressure in order to turn the fans on.

I am looking into how/if you can read refrigerant pressure via the scan tool. VAG went back to a non-electronic HVAC system on the decontented American Jetta to my understanding, so this data may be somewhere else.

You have VCDS, can you access the "climate control" function at all?
Yeah, I did it last night. I got no error codes. Other than that, I wasn't really sure what I was looking at with the numbers, etc. It did look like I was limited in what the VCDS could do with the climate control system. I'll scan it again & see if I can get any other readings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeman View Post

I notice sometimes at idle mine does the same thing, just kinds blows warm air. Today I don't think it got above 85 and the AC did just fine. Maybe my car just doesn't like the 100+ degree weather.

Old June 24th, 2014, 09:24   #12
pdt165
Veteran Member

Did this ever get resolved? I am having similar problems and I havent had these issues in the past with my car.
Old June 24th, 2014, 13:15   #13
Runnerguy45
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44 mpg

If you do a search you will find many of these cars(mine) simply needed a RCV. Polar Air out of Florida sells them for $63.00. VW doesn't make them they try to get to purchase a new compressor. My car would be semi cool to no cool and yesterday my guru put in the RCV and it's night and day difference.
Runnerguy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 04:29   #14
oilhammer

Once in a while, though, we've run across the compressor truly is just caput. I just had one this week like that. We stock the RCVs (both kinds) and they are cake to swap, so if I do one and it doesn't fix it no big deal. Compressor isn't very hard to do either.
Old June 25th, 2014, 07:02   #15
d2305
Veteran Member

I had to move the fan out of the way to get and snap pliers prongs into the holes. The rcv is snug in the compressor, and there is nothing to pry against to get it out. Adding a little gas help pop it out. Having a lift would have made it easier.
d2305 is offline   Reply With Quote