www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old August 5th, 2012, 16:58   #1
Pat Dolan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 800km/1100km/tank
Default Can not retract rear caliper!

I have run into this problem years ago, and do not remember the solution. Had to do pads on Mamma's '03, and I can NOT get the pistons to wind back in. If I go backwards, they will IMMEDIATELY wind out, but when I switch the reatchet and try to retract, they just sit there where I stopped and spin around.

Kind of a panic as I have to leave for the bush tomorrow and she needs her car.

Any suggestions?
Old August 5th, 2012, 17:10   #2
dweisel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 09 MB R320 Bluetec

You have to use the special tool the pushes and winds at the same time. You can borrow this tool from some auto parts stores.Try an AutoZone Store.

dweisel isn't diesel anymore!

Last edited by dweisel; August 5th, 2012 at 17:15.
dweisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 17:22   #3
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

One of these things

Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 17:30   #4
TurbineWhine
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56/50/39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatman View Post
One of these things

Where did you find that caliper assembly, the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean?

What is all that corrosion/debris on it from?

TW
RACE 520's, RC6X Custom Tune, 3 Bar MAP, 12mm pump, R32 MAF, racepipe, VNT 17/22, 3" Downpipe, Open 3" exhaust, FMIC, Forged H-Beam rods, Double Row Valve Springs, .658 5th gear, GLI suspension and brakes, 18 Inch wheels, PD lift pump, DG By-Pass oil filter, AutoMeter Cobalt Boost & EGT in 47 DraftDesign's Pods.
TurbineWhine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 18:02   #5
Pat Dolan
Veteran Member

I have a winder that I made, but it does NOT have the press facility. That explains it: IIRC, you need the pressure to hold the adjustment mechanism still while the piston winds in.

Thanks.

Didn't know so many people actually hung out in the MkIV section.
Old August 5th, 2012, 18:08   #6
dweisel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 09 MB R320 Bluetec

Without the proper tool you're not going to get it in.

dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
dweisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 18:12   #7
IndigoBlueWagon
Principal IDPartsVendor
w/Business number

Got a C-clamp? It'll work in a pinch.
Old August 5th, 2012, 18:35   #8
Seatman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurbineWhine View Post
Where did you find that caliper assembly, the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean?

What is all that corrosion/debris on it from?

TW
That's Scotland for you, plenty of mud and salt. Only seen how bad they were myself due to swapping the wheels, ordering another pair for the rear.

I'll be able to power wash them now to, steels just hide to much.

Tell you what though, this one still works perfect lol

Amazing these Mk4 callipers, especially compared to the like of honda, they're just loads of grief over here.

Last edited by Seatman; August 5th, 2012 at 18:41.
Old August 5th, 2012, 20:28   #9
Pat Dolan
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Got a C-clamp? It'll work in a pinch.
I usually use a vise grip C clamp to retract pistons, and that is what I ended up doing to this one.

Now that I have jarred my memory (and my knuckles a few times): you do NOT need (and when I made the tool, I did not want) constant pressure on the threads. It feels like you just have to bleed back a bit of brake fluid to let whatever holds the threaded bit inside against turning clockwise. After that, it winds in quite easily.

I DID encounter a slightly frustrating problem, though: the rubber boot on one side started to pile up, so I just sprayed the crap out of it with silicone lube and it popped back into a nice, neat, round accordian fold again.

Seatman: you have given me a new respect for VW bits and pieces!!!!!! I thought we had it bad over here.
Old August 5th, 2012, 20:32   #10
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

I have one of the winding tools and IMHO it's essential for these things; it makes it a 30 second job. I can do the rears in one beer.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 21:50   #11
Seatman
Veteran Member

Most rear callipers are just a case of turning the piston but not the vags for some reason, they're supposed to be done with that tool. I've had plenty of other rear callipers apart and can see exactly how they work but not the vag ones, they don't make logical sense in the same way. Once I get the replacement callipers though I'll pull one of the old ones apart and take some pics so we can all see how they work inside.

And yeh + 1 Genesis

Lol Pat, my car just keeps on running and performing beautifully, I guess maybe being built in Wolfsburg helps. I'm at 180,000 so far, never really misses a beat other than the usual like vacuum lines but they're all replaced with silicone now.
I use 15/40 oil, the cam looks like new, I regularly take it upto 4500 rpm and I've had a slight chap from one of the pistons for the last 3 years, about 60,000 miles lol. What a machine.

Old August 6th, 2012, 06:00   #12
Pat Dolan
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatman View Post
Lol Pat, my car just keeps on running and performing beautifully, I guess maybe being built in Wolfsburg helps. I'm at 180,000 so far, never really misses a beat other than the usual like vacuum lines but they're all replaced with silicone now.
I use 15/40 oil, the cam looks like new, I regularly take it upto 4500 rpm and I've had a slight chap from one of the pistons for the last 3 years, about 60,000 miles lol. What a machine.
My wife's A4 is one of the lowest mileage vehicles we have now (only 290,000 kms), but it sure looks/feels like another 600k VW. BUT: I have to admit to being a proper Euro-snob and declare we bought a wagon because it WAS made in Germany (along with other reasons). I have to concur, this car is not only one of the best I have ever owned, but may well be the very best 2 seater ever built.
Old August 6th, 2012, 10:34   #13
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

The dust boot on my right rear was also binding until I sprayed it with PB blaster.
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 21:11   #14
vwdieseling
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG

Hold on, the VW calipers are aluminum. Heres the problem its permantly seized. Replace caliper. Once they are actuated all the way out they won't retract because of the aluminum from the caliper chaffing the sdes of the pistons and piston seals. Also internal hose debre (pieces of rubber) can enter the caliper and seize the piston. If you replace caliper bleed your lines to remove any hose debre. I gurantee you you could put it in a hydraulic press and it will stay seized, if it does retract it won't work because the piston seals are damaged. You gotta do your breaks more often. I get break jobs like yours all the time. The rear MK4 maximum disc runout is .004 inches or 0.1 mm thats front and rear. They can handle more, but once out completely for a period of time your gonna beat your head on the wall trying to get the pistons to retract.
vwdieseling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 21:21   #15
Seatman
Veteran Member

Mine went in beautifully, they really are that good imo but mine are getting replaced just because I'm like that.