www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old August 9th, 2012, 00:22   #46
couttsdesign
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: not running yet
Default Diesel choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYDr1veR View Post
Very good stuff, but a 320d engine would be cool in there too
I was considering this option for about a minute....lack of vendor supply and tuner support scared me off. However, if anyone ever figure's out how to use a modern BMW diesel in an old car I would put one in my CS coupe....that would really piss some people off I imagine....

The other engine I strongly considered was the mercedes 190d motor. it's already longitudinal and has a mechanical injection pump. Ultimately, my experience (not much really) with VW's ALH and the possibility of big power AND big MPG's steered me toward this swap.
couttsdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 04:19   #47
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by couttsdesign View Post
Growler, you are right about the clearance around shifter hole in the interior. There is only about 1/4 clearance in all directions...here's a pic, but it's difficult to see...
I don't think it will be difficult to trim more metal out to make more clearance. I'm going to pull the engine/trans out before final install at which time I can make that hole bigger. Consider this a test fit. Stock 2002's use a thick foam insert for noise and heat dissipation around the shifter and I'll probably find some durable closed cell foam and do the same.
Glad you took my note as well as you did, I certainly didn't mean to be super critical, I was just noting what I thought might be a concern in the future when the rubbers get broken in and she gets all squishy in there .

I am very much enjoying this thread as I can easily see myself going down this road someday.

Schmutz 2015 GSW S DSG
Schnurren 2001 Golf 2 door.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 07:42   #48
jackbombay
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A4 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 57/43/32

Quote:
I don't even have a 220 power source in my garage.
A 120V mig welder would be fine for everything you've built, once you own a welder you'll wonder how you ever lived without one

Awesome swap, this car will be so much fun!

Hp vs. TQ
jackbombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 16:23   #49
gtveloce
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43, 40.5 with Yakima

Some nice welding there Chris!
I better drop by to check it out before you are done!
gtveloce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 05:31   #50
mlemorie
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2004 Jetta
Fuel Economy: Avg: 43-44

I did indeed miss the rubber mount. Im not terribly familiar with toyota stuff, so that is probably part of the reason why I didnt spot it at first. I know how it goes having to make stuff at work lol. Im a dyno tech for Isuzu, and any time I need to make some small tools, or parts for my RC stuff, I use the machine shop at work since I have nothing at home lol. Im house shopping, and Im hoping to find a place with a big enough garage, or a seperate pole barn so I can set up a workshop and do it at home. All the parts are still looking fantastic though!
Old August 10th, 2012, 05:51   #51
GTiTDi
TDIClub Enthusiast
Macht Schnell! Vendor
w/Business number

Location: 3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachusetts

Quote:
I'm a car designer at KIA motors in Irvine CA and we have a multi-million design center with just about everything one would need to fabricate something for a car...
C'mon, that is just straight up cheating!

Just kidding! Nice work and good job taking advantage of your available resources! I wonder how many other designers are building their own car?
GTiTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 08:29   #52
Sheppie62

Default Best use of 75 2002 I have seen

Really like this idea. Original engines in these weren't that exciting anyway, all torque anyway. Plus that square car needs torque to cruise. Please put older bumpers on it. Never liked the baby bumpers.
Sheppie62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 10:41   #53
Danielg42
Veteran Member

Wow... awesome project! Impressive photography of impressive work.

Last edited by Danielg42; November 22nd, 2012 at 00:57.
Danielg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 20:01   #55
Jayg
Veteran Member

Such a nice car. I thought I was really something with 110 hp and 110 ft lbs of tq in my 76 2002. I can't imagine that thing with some real torque behind it. I considered an SR20 swap but the factory motor and trans never died so I left it in, had I thought about it long enough I'd be doing this swap as well.

Good luck to you sir!
Jayg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 22:22   #56
FredS
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 00 NB-39, 01 Golf-41, 94 Toy-30

Sweet conversion. Now have you finalized your serpentine belt arrangement without the power steering and A/C components? This to me is a car worth putting a TDI in. Classic lines, and it'll sound oh so nice.

Are you going to put the oil filter assembly very far from the block then? You mentioned the steering was in the way, wondered how close it was.
03 GTI, 2012 Tiguan
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 00:18   #57
couttsdesign
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
Are you going to put the oil filter assembly very far from the block then? You mentioned the steering was in the way, wondered how close it was.
the oil filter housing will be about 1 foot away from the stock location. There is absolutely no way the oil filter housing can stay in the stock location and not interfere with the steering box of the 02.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 01:10   #58
couttsdesign
Veteran Member

Default rear subframe/differential swap

It's been awhile since my last post, but I've been slowly and steadily working on the project. I've been busy with work and that has cut into my time alot. Anyway, one of the most important aspects to this project is getting the gearing right, which for me was to get it as close to the stock VW TDI driving experience. I used to drive my Golf pretty much between 2000-3000 rpm 90% of the time. Also, I like being able to do 80 on the freeway at around 2800 rpm's. I used some online gearing calculators and determined the stock 2002 diff (3.64 ratio) would not work...it simply would rev too high. In fact there is not a bolt in differential with a tall enough ratio that would work. My solution was to swap in a BMW medium case differential from an E30 bmw, which comes in a wide range of gear ratios, but i'm most interested in the 2.79 or 2.93 ratios. Another important part of the equation is to use a diff cover from an e36 because it has two mounting ears. The problem is the medium case diff requires total fabrication to get it mounted into a 2002. Here's how I did it....

I started by digitally scanning the 2002 rear subframe, 2002 differential, and e30 medium case differential with e36 diff cover. This allows me to manipulate the parts in the computer and create exact templates for the new "cage" that needed to be fabricated. in pics below, 2002 diff is blue and e30 diff is red.

Templates made and 1/4" steel about to be cut.

The "cage" tacked together for test fitting

All jigged and prepped for welding.

After test fitting the assembly on the car I was not happy with the location of the diff and cage. Basically, it was nestled right up against the underside of the 2002 trunk floor. There was no room for access to the bolts that hold the diff on top of the cage. So chop and drop the whole thing about 20mm.

Test fitting was all good...and here is the finished subframe.

This is only part of the solution....rear diff mount and half shafts still to come in the next posting....stay tuned friends.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 04:45   #59
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

Holy cow.... talk about going the extra mile. Very nice work sir. I am super jealous of your 3d scanner.. while you are at it. Pop off about 10 of those subframe adapters and motor mounts and trans cross members.. bet you could find buyers lol.

Schmutz 2015 GSW S DSG
Schnurren 2001 Golf 2 door.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 07:26   #60
tditom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Golf: 54/48/43.5 B4 Passat: 52/48.5/45 B5.5 Passat: 30 mpg mixed

Simply masterful work. Thanks for sharing your progress with us.
Why I recommend fuel additive.
tditom is offline   Reply With Quote