1975 bmw 2002

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta

TeckniX

TDI
TDI golf mkVI
Such a fantastic build, can't wait to see more. Good fab skills too, what do you do that provides you with access to the proper tools and nice table?

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
Such a fantastic build, can't wait to see more. Good fab skills too, what do you do that provides you with access to the proper tools and nice table?
Thanks for the kind words. I'm a car designer at Kia motors. I work at a state of the art design center in Irvine CA. In some ways, this project is my personal "showcar" as I believe america needs a timeless, efficient, 4-seater vehicle. A 2002 that gets 50+ mpg fits the bill.....now convincing the company to design and build it is another matter.:rolleyes:

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
Thanks for the kind words. I'm a car designer at Kia motors. I work at a state of the art design center in Irvine CA. In some ways, this project is my personal "showcar" as I believe america needs a timeless, efficient, 4-seater vehicle. A 2002 that gets 50+ mpg fits the bill.....now convincing the company to design and build it is another matter.:rolleyes:
Next time you're talking to the CEO.. we could use a nice 40 mpg diesel van as well :)

TeckniX

TDI
TDI golf mkVI
That would explain it, and pretty cool to see the company allowing some tinkering of other brands within their workspace.
Ps feel free to keep blueprints of your fab work, I may launch myself in a similar tdi swap, because clean diesel and the mpg are awesome!

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Chris, come out to the GTG, even if it's without the 2002 =) Would love to chat!

Cheers,

Jeremy

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
Since my last post I've been able to get the whole rear end rebuilt and mounted in the car.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I'm using a differential cover which has two mounting ears. Here is the rear mount for the differential. I had to drill a few holes through the floor of the 02 to mount this.

Halfshafts: Because the e30 diff is wider than the stock 2002 diff the halfshafts must be shortened by about 15-20mm. This can be accomplished by swapping the inboard CV joint with a CV from a 320i, but must be from 1979 and later. In this pic you can see the difference in width between the CV joints, the thinner joint is the 320i and the thicker joint is the stock 2002. Additionally, the 320i CV joint is drilled for M10 bolts, which match up perfectly with the e30 diff.

Here is my custom driveshaft. I used a company in Socal called Drivelines INC. They are AWESOME!! They came to my house, measured everything, took all my parts, and two days later delivered a nicely painted and balanced driveshaft ready to mounted in the car. Couldn't be easier. Highly recommended!

CFM

Veteran Member
TDI
1995 Saturn with a 1997 TDI drivetrain.
Great pics! Keep 'em coming, I can't wait to see the end result!

GuyGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Comfortline DSG
WOW nice freakin build!! I remember driving my roomates 1975 2002 and how much fun it was and quick to boot. Just love the wrap around glass, best visibility of any car I've driven.

Keep up the awesome work! Soon you will be modding it.:D

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
This build is amazing. Coupled with the light weight and RWD, this build would be amazing with a built ALH. Any plans for big turbo/injectors/pump?

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
This build is amazing. Coupled with the light weight and RWD, this build would be amazing with a built ALH. Any plans for big turbo/injectors/pump?
Thanks for the kind words and YES I want to mod it. But the plan is to get it running first and work out the bugs. Modifications in the future will not be too extreme...vnt17, DLC 1019 nozzles, ECU tune, already have the 11mm pump, possibly a bigger intercooler but that will require hacking up the radiator support. I'd be happy in the ballpark of 150hp/250tq....but i'd be happier if my mileage is 50 mpg+.

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
front end modifications

Ok, time for an update. I've known for a long time that I have interference issues with the oilpan hitting the subframe and center track rod hitting the transmission bellhousing.

I have a steel oil pan that I have cut and test fitting against the subframe. I am trying to cut as little as possible and decided to cut the subframe in order to get more clearance.

It's difficult to tell what is going on here, but here is the oil pan and subframe test fit on the car. Note, test fit is with windage tray installed and there is plenty of clearance.

Here are the 1/4 inch steel plates that will be welded back into the subframe.

Here is the oil pan all welded up. Sorry, but I guess I forgot to take pics of this in process. Notice the "V" section is to allow clearance for the windage tray. I'm a bit concerned with this setup because I had to cut away about 25% of the oil pan capacity to make this work.

The pickup had to be shortened and lifted as you can see from the weld lines.

And here are all the parts finished and waiting to be installed. Note: steel oil pans require shorter bolts because the are thinner than the cast aluminum pans.

The center track rod in the 2002 is normally straight across. I had to drop the center section 2 inches to clear the bellhousing. Note all the extra reinforcement to reduce flex and in general make for a really strong part. This is one that you do not want to fail as it is the ONLY part that connects the two front wheels together.

Installed....awesome...You can see in this pic now there is clearance for the oil pan and the center track rod sits nicely below the bellhousing. Now on to resolve the oil filter housing relocation.

63eh

TDI
2011 1.6 golf bluemotion
Hey mate luv the build, how much lower do you think you could have mounted the engine if you had used a dry sump setup?

Cheers

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
Hey mate luv the build, how much lower do you think you could have mounted the engine if you had used a dry sump setup?

Cheers
Probably about 1-2 inches. The limiting factor being the bellhousing also lowering with the engine and interfering with the center track rod. Also, going lower might would not work with my motor mount design.

63eh

TDI
2011 1.6 golf bluemotion
Hey thanks for the reply, I'm trying to work out if I can fit a 1.9 tdi from a 99 beetle which I'm sure is an alh motor, the only problem is the height of the motor with the crossmember, hence the question about dry sump, in the BMW what sort of height did you have from the crossmember to the under side of the bonnet when closed originally before you modified it?

Cheers

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
wiring help

So when should we expect to see some numbers? :D
Probably not anytime soon.....

I'm just getting into the wiring and it's a *****. I don't have any experience with this kind of stuff. I've been going through the harness and removing stuff I don't need, like headlight wires and turn signals. I haven't been able to find much information on integrating the ALH wiring into an old car. My plan is to keep all the necessary wires/connectors to run the engine as if it were a stand alone engine management system like megasquirt or something similar. Simple, right?
I really could use some advice on simple things like, what to do with the fuse box? Will I need all those relays? I should mount the ECU inside the car, right??
Here is the info on my swap, so hopefully I can get some good advice:
-complete harness from a 99.5 jetta
-ecu from 99.5 Jetta also
-my engine is from a 2001 Jetta, automatic
It's a long story why I have a 99.5 harness and a 2001 engine, but that's what I have so I need to make it work. I've already discovered the harness connections for some of the sensors don't match up between years (N17, coolant temp sensor, EGR, N239). But I have all the correct sensors now and everything mates up. Great!
Is there a good method as to go about eliminating all the unnecessary wiring from the harness??

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I wish I could help you with your wiring questions, but just gotta say that you are an absolute welding artist! :eek: thanks again for sharing your photos.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
The very basic method for trimming down your harness is to identify EVERY connector in the harness. Start with your lighting connectors and follow them up stream until you run into a splice (VW loves splices) and clip the wire going to that connector. Repeat with all the wires in the connector until the connector can uncerimoniously chucked over your shoulder. Swig of beer. Repeat on more connectors that you KNOW you won't need again. Eventually you will find the last wire that goes to that splice (you've already clipped 2 other wires at the splice for instace) so now follow the wire up stream where it will usually end up at the fuse panel or a ground. This will help you trim down the harness to circuits that are necessary for engine operation. jimbote and I are working on a how-to to help with the rest of those.

rooney77

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
The very basic method for trimming down your harness is to identify EVERY connector in the harness. Start with your lighting connectors and follow them up stream until you run into a splice (VW loves splices) and clip the wire going to that connector. Repeat with all the wires in the connector until the connector can uncerimoniously chucked over your shoulder. Swig of beer. Repeat on more connectors that you KNOW you won't need again. Eventually you will find the last wire that goes to that splice (you've already clipped 2 other wires at the splice for instace) so now follow the wire up stream where it will usually end up at the fuse panel or a ground. This will help you trim down the harness to circuits that are necessary for engine operation. jimbote and I are working on a how-to to help with the rest of those.
That's exactly how I approach it. I label every last plug. I then create a list of what I want and don't want. Then I unwrap the entire harness to expose all the wires/junctions/splices. Then you just pick a plug that you don't want and do as greengeeker said.