1975 bmw 2002

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
Hello all. I figure now is a good time to post up my build thread, ALH engine into a 1975 BMW 2002. I started researching this project in October of 2011 so it's coming up on a year...wow time flies. This swap has never been done before so I'm kinda venturing into new territory here. However, after a bit of research I determined it was possible and worthwhile having a cool old bimmer that gets 40+ mpg. Additionally, with the light weight of the 2002 and A/C and power steering delete, I think 60 mpg is attainable.

see lots of pics here...
http://s1178.photobucket.com/albums...W 2002 TDI Engine Conversion/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Currently, I have the engine and transmission mounted in the car. This is a MAJOR milestone for me...NOTE I'm not an engineer or a mechanic. I'm just a crazy car designer with a crazy desire to drive a vintage car that gets insane MPG's. Anyway, here is a pic of the engine mounted up.

Here is a pic of the donor car: 2001 jetta TDI auto converted to manual. Was a great running car. Suspension a bit tired, excellent body and interior.

And here is the 02 motor getting pulled...yeah that's me in the empty engine bay...doesn't everyone take a pic like this??

Here are the basics for the swap:
-1975 BMW 2002 (smog exempt in CA)
-ALH engine from 2001 Jetta
-Toyota W58 transmission
-acme adapter kit
-e30 rear differential 2.93 ratio. Major fabrication needed here.
-egr, A/C, power steering delete
-oil filter housing relocation (it interferes with the steering box)
-195/50/15 tires (22.7 overall diameter)
with the above specs I expect the following :
@2000 RPM
1st gear-14mph
2nd gear-24mph
3rd gear-36mph
4th gear-46mph
5th gear-59mph
@3000 RPM
1st gear-21mph
2nd gear-37mph
3rd gear-54mph
4th gear-69mph
5th gear-88mph
Comments, advise, suggestions, criticisms are welcome...I'll be posting more pics soon
Cheers!
Chris

Last edited:

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
1975 bmw 2002 tdi

Here is a bit of info about the transmission. Most guys on this forum use the Toyota truck transmission W56,W59. But for a street car I needed the lowest 5th gear ratio available, hence the W58. Using a 22r bellhousing the W58 bolts up to the ALH using an Acme adapter kit.
Here is the W58 transmission with the 22r bellhousing on the left and the W58 bellhousing on the right. Note the starter location difference.

Flywheel that comes with the acme kit weighs 25 pounds. I think this is similar to the original dual mass flywheel weight??

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
sweet. i have been considering this exact swap, so I will for sure be keeping an eye on this..

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Awesome! I grew up around my parent's 1970 2002, always loved those cars. Back when BMW was not linked to yuppies and all that stereotype!

spartan

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
This is going to be a great swap, best of luck to you!

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Question: what's the weight difference between the ALH and the original engine?

Will you have to shift the engine position or put stiffer shocks in?

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
Awesome swap. Definitely subscribed. Have you sorted out your starter location? Will it not interfer with your oil filter housing or are you going to go remote?
Starter location is sorted out by using the 22r truck bellhousing with the W58 transmission. Check out the pick above. It clearly shows how the 22r bellhousing puts the starter on the passenger side. Basically, it's the same swap as the Toyota truck guys have been doing, it's just I'm using a different transmission.

Oil filter housing is definitely running some interference with the 2002 steering box. I'm still troubleshooting this problem but the basic plan is to make two block off plates, one for the block and one for the filter housing, and then connecting the two via hoses and fittings in a new location. SDturbo's volvo swap did something similar, but I haven't been able to get much info.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
My apologies, I misunderstood your post. Your plate idea should work you'll need to run 3 lines so probably best to keep them short and buy good fittings/hose.

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
Awesome swap. Definitely subscribed. Have you sorted out your starter location? Will it not interfer with your oil filter housing or are you going to go remote?
Question: what's the weight difference between the ALH and the original engine?

Will you have to shift the engine position or put stiffer shocks in?
This was one of the first questions I had when staring this project ans I have found it difficult to nail down an answer. The ALH has a heavy turbo and injection pump attached, but the 2002 had a somewhat heavy carb and air filter assembly. Also the 02 had a bunch of smog equipment bolted on which added weight. For my swap, I am eliminating as much as possible...A/C delete, power steering delete, EGR delete. At the end of the day I don't think the ALH and all accessories is much heavier than an 02 with ac and smog equipment added.

The angle of the ALH and 02 engine is the same, 20 degrees in stock form. However, the ACME kit rotates the ALH upright to about 5 degrees. This makes the engine taller in the engine bay. It's not ideal, but the reason for this is again the starter location limits rotation. I believe that the T5 transmission would be ideal for this swap. The T5 starter location allows for the ALH to further rotate towards 20 degrees which puts the ALH in it's original position and lowers the motors center of gravity. Also, I think there are benefits regarding oil pan and possibly oil filter housing when the engine is rotated more towards 20 degrees. Perhaps when I finish this swap I'll mess around with engineering a T5 adapter plate.

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
posting pics

I'd like to show you guys more pics, but I mistakenly uploaded too many large pics to my account and now it's full. Honestly, I find managing pics on this site to be confusing. Does anyone have recommendations on showing pics? I was going to try Flickr or photobucket an embedded link???

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
Use photobucket - upload to your album. Hover over the picture which will bring a drop down menu below the picture - copy the

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
Since you have to fabricate the engine and transmission mounts anyways, why cant you just rotate the engine/transmission as an assembly closer to the 20 degrees?

The angle of the ALH and 02 engine is the same, 20 degrees in stock form. However, the ACME kit rotates the ALH upright to about 5 degrees. This makes the engine taller in the engine bay. It's not ideal, but the reason for this is again the starter location limits rotation.

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
Since you have to fabricate the engine and transmission mounts anyways, why cant you just rotate the engine/transmission as an assembly closer to the 20 degrees?
I did a test fit with engine and trans rotated. I didn't like the shifter location and also there were issues with steering relay rod/transmission clearance. The relay rod clearance underneath the trans is still a major issue that I have not worked out yet....one step at a time i guess.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Great idea for a swap! Excited to see this baby running!

thanks for sharing it with us and best of luck!

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
Lakewood makes a T5 adapter bellhousing
I don't think I've seen a swap thread where a Lakewood adapter/bellhousing was used, or even a T5 transmission for that matter. If anyone has done it or has some more info please chime in. Specifically, I'm talking about adapting the T5 trans to the ALH engine.

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
pic posting test

this is just a test to see if my photobucket account pics show up....

Last edited:

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI

More info about the W58 trans...in pic above you can see different clutch forks and retaining clips for the throwout bearing. Basically, you must use the 22r clutch fork, fork pivot, throwout bearing, retaining clips, and slave cylinder. None of the stock w58 stuff will work.

Here is the Acme adapter kit. I'm not sure if the dust shield is part of the standard kit. I just asked them to include it and they did at no extra charge.

In the 2002 there are two transmission mounts attached to the tunnel. There is no way the W58 tranny will fit with these in....so chop chop!

inside the cabin, the shifter location was just a few inches short of the stock hole in the tunnel of the 2002. My 2002 was an automatic and there just happen to be two bolt holes in about the right location just forward of the large hole in the tunnel. I basically just extended the large hole to these bolt holes and it seems to be just right to fit the new trans shifter location.

Last edited:

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
oil pan

I tried using a B5 passat 1.8t oil pan.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Passat_B5-FWD-1.8T/Search/Oil_Pan/ES2090888/

It would have worked out perfectly if the Alh could be mounted in the stock 20 degree angle because the shape of the pan perfectly fits around the 2002 subframe. In the end, I was unable to use it because the final location for the engine caused the pan to interfere with the subframe. However, the pan bolts up just fine so i'll keep it for that T5 swap I want to do some day...

Currently, I have a steel oil pan that will be cut up and welded up to work somehow...I'll post pics when I have them.

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
The Acme adapter kit

The acme kit comes with an oillite pilot bushing.

I just pounded it straight in with a similar sized socket. When correctly mounted it should look like this...

And just to be sure I test fit the transmission and took this pic through the hole in the bellhousing for the clutch fork. Note how the input shaft perfectly indexes with the oillite bushing.

I had a minor fit issue with the acme plate. In the pic below you can see how the plate contacts the hard coolant pipe on the ALH. I had to bang in the pipe about 1/8 to 1/4 inch in order to make the plate sit flush on the face of the block.

Flywheel installed

Clutch installed. I didn't know which clutch to use, so I just followed what the Toyota guys do and went with Marlin Crawler. I got the heavy duty clutch kit rated at 1200 lbs, but I have no idea what that rating means. None of the Marlin staff could tell me what the TORQUE rating was for the clutch....I was a little disappointed in that and I'm still a little concerned about slipping the clutch if I decide to go crazy on mods.

Throwout bearing and clutch fork installed

and finally engine and transmission come together...

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
The 1200lb clutch is a stock Toyota clutch .... With mods and traction it will slip .... Nice swap btw .... I purchased an acme kit from someone who gave up on this exact swap due to the oil filter housing interference .... Interested to see your solution :)

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
The 1200lb clutch is a stock Toyota clutch .... With mods and traction it will slip .... Nice swap btw .... I purchased an acme kit from someone who gave up on this exact swap due to the oil filter housing interference .... Interested to see your solution :)
Thanks for that info Jimbote. I do recall you having issues with Marlins clutch, of course I read that After I bought and installed it. I'm just going to stick with it and see how it holds up. I'm still in process of problem solving the oil filter housing relocation, but in the meantime here are a couple of photos of what I have started.

This is a 1 inch aluminum block off plate that I have milled and in the pic I'm drilling and tapping the bolt holes....

...and attached to the oil filter housing.

I'll make a mirror image block off plate to mount to the block. I'll then need to determine the new resting spot for the oil filter housing, drill and tap the plates for fittings and hoses and then connect them. I think it will work, but it's getting VERY tight in the 02 engine bay on the driver side. Which by the way, for anyone who tries this swap, I forgot to mention the battery MUST be relocated to the trunk. You will need the space.....

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
Motor mounts

The BMW 2002 has a removable front subframe which will serve as the foundation for my custom motor mounts. But first the stock passenger side motor mount was in the way and had to be cut out.

I don't have a welder or the tools/ability to cut and fabricate metal in my garage, where I have the 02 on jackstands, so I decided to put the motor very close to the final location and then make templates out of 1/4" plywood. I don't even have the proper woodworking tools at home but with a little planning and patience I was able to make my mounts close to square. I have lots of pics documenting the motor mount fabrication in my photobucket account but here are a few just so you get an idea of my process...

Here you can see the plywood templates mocked up on the 2002 subframe.

The plywood templates are exactly that...templates...that will be used to trace and cut out the real deal 1/4" steel plate.

Tacked and test fitting....now's a good time to discuss the mounts in detail. The passenger side mount is very straight forward...lots of room to work with, adequate clearance to the turbo, the larger oil filled mount fits nicely. However, the driver side was a ***** and I'm not sure my solution is all that sound, but at some point you just gotta say F-it and go for it....There was very little to no room to work with on the driver side except for underneath the A/C bracket. Since I plan on deleting the A/C i figured I could use the vacant A/C bracket to mount to. I have no idea how strong the A/C bracket is, but at least a slight advantage is that the engine is basically sitting on top of the rubber mount and is not cantilevered and putting added stress on the A/C bracket. Fingers crossed.....

The finished product. I guess I should mention I'm using a BMW oil filled type mount on the passenger side (2001 3-series) and the stock 2002 passenger side rubber mount but on the driver side. The reason for this is that the stock 2002 mount was more compact and fit the driver mount location perfectly. We'll see how it holds up....

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Wow those are some beefy mounts. Nice work.

If you end up fitting a T5 to a tdi you'll have to simply lop off that coolant pipe on the driver's side since the bellhousing is so tall at the back of the block. I'll have some pics in my thread soon of what is needed to get around this.

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Looks great

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
Wow those are some beefy mounts. Nice work.

If you end up fitting a T5 to a tdi you'll have to simply lop off that coolant pipe on the driver's side since the bellhousing is so tall at the back of the block. I'll have some pics in my thread soon of what is needed to get around this.
I have been following your thread. Is your Ranger fitted with a T5 transmission? I thought it had a "Mazda R5 gearbox". I guess to be clear I'm referring to the Tremec or Borg Warner T5 transmission. Are these the same...I really don't know much about those transmission...

Anyway, If you have an engineered adapter plate for the T5, I'd be interested in one!! I have another crazy idea to TDI a BMW Bavaria...