www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:10   #31
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1
Default Cooling System: Part 1

The Ranger cooling system uses a mechanically driven fan, massive fan shroud and a viscous clutch to slip based on temperature. The problem with this type of a system is 1) It only has a limited amount of slip so even when you need zero fan airflow it is spinning and consuming power 2) When cold the viscosity of the clutch fluid is high causing basically max fan RPM until the fluid heats up. 3) blah blah blah....the system sucks.

Now that I've eliminated the belt driven fan I'm left with several different options:
  1. Ford Rad, Ford condensor, aftermarket fans, aftermarket fan controller, FMIC mounted in front of everything
  2. Ford Rad, Ford condensor, Taurus electric fan(s), aftermarket fan controller, FMIC mounted in front of everything
  3. Ford Rad, Ford condensor, VW fan panel, VW fan controller, FMIC mounted in front of everything
  4. VW Rad, VW condensor, VW fan panel, VW fan controller, FMIC below everything (I'll explain later)
Well I went with option 4 because 1) it simplied my electronics (plug and play) 2) I've never heard of a properly funtioning VW system not being able to cool even the most taxed TDI's 3) It simplied my radiator piping (driver's side inlet/outlet on the radiator match the inlet/outlet of the TDI) 4) It simplified my CAC piping (passenger side inlet/outlet on the intercooler match the inlet/outlet of the TDI) 5) Because of 1-4 I'm pretty sure it's the cheapest option as well.

So here is a New Beetle TDI cooling pack (condensor, radiator, fan panel with two fans):

I've wrapped it in cardboard to protect it during the many intalls and removals but also to provide spacing while making my mounts. In the picture below you can see the VW mounts that would normally slide into a molded slot in the header panel:

My plan is to reverse the direction of these isolators and fabricate some brackets that will bolt to the Ranger header panel. Before I can do that I need to do some trimming of the Ranger rad mounts, some brackets and other minor adjustments with a cutoff wheel to provide the space for the wider VW cooling pack. I also needed to remove a wiring chase that ran right above the radiator and will zip tie it in some convoluted sheathing a few inches higher.

Here is the driver's side showing where I needed to clearance for the condenser line:

I should also mention that the only vw cooling pack that will fit in this location (under header panel and above the frame rail) is the New Beetle cooling pack! Per ETKA it doesn't matter what engine or transmission - the radiator and condensor for all New Beetles are all 650mm x 380mm. The difference will be in the cooling fans/motors which you can simply swap out with TDI ones. I made the mistake of purchasing an AWP (1.8T) automatic Jeta cooling pack without doing the research and found it was much too big to fit => 650mm x 420mm. So if you're doing this swap get yourself a NB cooling pack as any Jetta or Golf radiator, regardless of motor, is going to be too tall.

Here is the NB cooling pack sitting in the Ranger with the flipped isolators and brackets:

And where the mounting bolts are accessed on the front side of the header panel (just look for the 4 shiny spots...ok ok I was a little generous when I said it was rust free )

I would really appreciate some help from the members on my top radiator connection. As far as I can tell all of the mk4 chassis radiators have a 45deg angle built into it. Does anyone know of a VW application where it is straight and would fit this radiator? It's not the end of the world but it would clean up my radiator lines if I don't have to deal with a jog due to this.

TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me

Last edited by greengeeker; August 5th, 2012 at 21:22.
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:26   #32
greengeeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFettig View Post
Remote oil filter setup coming later?
It will have to based on my schedule. I'm kinda liking the location of the oil cooler as it will make for probably the cleanest install of a frostheater yet!
Old August 3rd, 2012, 19:19   #33
Hasenwerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeker View Post
I would really appreciate some help from the members on my top radiator connection. As far as I can tell all of the mk4 chassis radiators have a 45deg angle built into it. Does anyone know of a VW application where it is straight and would fit this radiator? It's not the end of the world but it would clean up my radiator lines if I don't have to deal with a jog due to this.
Check out the AEB 1.8T "B5" and VW Passat and Audi A4 - the hoses comes straight off the radiator. Probably 'cause the engine is a N<->S engine like you are going to be doing here!
Hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 19:29   #34
greengeeker

I considered them but both lower and upper hose ends are integrated into the hose. The lower also has a sensor bung teed into the hose. I should swing by the junk yard and pick one up just to see if I can remove the hose from the end.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 19:42   #35
JFettig

No, this is not me volunteering

http://www.jrmfabrication.com/?wpsc-product=heater-core
I do know where you need to go if you want a whole pile of them.
DIY injector calibration http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=383324

Last edited by JFettig; August 3rd, 2012 at 19:47.
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 19:51   #36
greengeeker

A heater core end is going to be too small unfortunately. Wow, that stuff is spendy.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 20:09   #37
JFettig

I'm just trying to put the idea in your head... make them bigger and put barbs at the end.
DIY injector calibration http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=383324
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 20:56   #38
greengeeker

Sure you don't have time to crank one out?
Old August 3rd, 2012, 21:46   #39
tango_28
Veteran Member

Hi Nick, that bug looks very familiar, great thread!!
Old August 3rd, 2012, 22:05   #40
greengeeker

Hey Ron, Yup that's the one. Putting it to good use!
Old August 3rd, 2012, 22:55   #41
greengeeker

Default Throttle Pedal Install

Small update just explaining the modifications I did to install the throttle pedal in the truck.

First you need to remove the entire pedal cluster from your donor vehicle which is no small feat due to the fact that it is spot welded to the brake pedal bracket. Anyway, once you've extracted it from the donor you need to drill out the spot welds and separate the throttle pedal bracket from the brake pedal bracket to leave you with this:

Remove the Ranger pedal and throttle cable, pull back the carpet and trim the firewall pad and you'll find where we need to mount the pedal:

(I can't remember at the moment but I think I trimmed of the pedal mounting bracket you see in the above picture...I'll confirm this)

Not much I can say about the process but you need to pick a spot where you want the pedal to sit and simply trim the bracket until it fits the contours of the firewall. The amount of time you spend here will depend on your attachment method but I chose to weld in my pedal bracket.

Here is how the bracket ended up looking just before I welded it in the truck:

In place, sans throttle pedal:

And the final product:

Old August 5th, 2012, 21:37   #42
greengeeker

Default Intercooler Mounting

I mentioned earlier that I wanted to keep my radiator and intercooler tubing as simple as possible. Of course the simplest solution for a longitudinally-mounted TDI would mean both inlet and outlet of the intercooler be on the passenger side. It took a lot of looking but I found such an intercooler that fits between the Ranger frame rails. It is a little tight so I bought some cast 90's to replace the straight out inlet/outlet.

I trimmed the condenser bracketry a little and this guy simply slides in place! I'll probably trim the driver's side bracket a little more to shift it a little further towards the driver's side and gain clearance for the inlet/outlet.

Old August 5th, 2012, 21:58   #43
darkhorse
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid 40's

I like that intercooler!
'06 Golf GLS 5 speed, Evo skid plate, Koni FSD's with Shine RSS, SBC stage 3, SMF, KERMA custom tune, R 32 snorkel,PD 150 airbox,MAF,TIP & manifold, K3B,R 783's, Colt stage 2, EJ SMIC, piping by ID Parts, Whitbread 2.5" DP, Aero muffler, 3"KERMA SS pipes, Sigma 5 short shifter, .681 5th gear & Peloquin, Nicktane 1 um fuel filter & DG/Amsoil bypass filter.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 22:01   #44
greengeeker

Thanks Richard. Ebay special.
Old August 6th, 2012, 03:45   #45
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

man, between watching you and the guy with the BMW 2002 im really enjoying these swaps...

Schmutz 2015 GSW S DSG
Schnurren 2001 Golf 2 door.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote