www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old August 1st, 2012, 22:48   #1
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1
Default TDI Ranger Build

It's my turn for a conversion thread!

I've noticed quite an increase in conversion threads lately and figured I should start up my own. I've been doing my homework for the better part of a year planning all the details of my swap but also developing my own adapter. More on the latter in another thread.

I'm starting with a 2000 Ford Ranger:
2.5L, 5pd, 2wd, 199k miles.

And the previous owner decided he wanted to attempt a no-timing belt record with disastrous results:

I suppose it isn't all that bad since I got a surprisingly rust-free (99% ) Ranger for my swap. So I rescued the Ranger from the field mice with a buddy's truck and trailer (a helluva guy who's let me use this combo to haul many a vw's). I think the next picture is pretty comical. If you can't read the sticker in the back window it says "At least it's not a Dodge."

So I'll combine this truck with a 2000 New Beetle that I purchased from a club member. It was in a front end accident a year prior and also thought it would be a good idea to provide a home to some field mice - I did not have a fun time removing the nest out of the dash to get at the wiring and ecu. I think I removed 3 full grocery store bags worth of carcasses, nest, feces...yuck. I unfortunately do not have a shot of the car in its natural habitat but it was stored up in the pines on the back 40acres of a friend of a friend.

Here it is during the drivetrain removal:

The front end accident did a number to the car destroying the header panel, radiator, fans, condensor, power steering pump, accessory bracket, passenger motor mount. Because of this last one it actually shoved the engine into the firewall so hard that it snapped off the intake and of course the little mount ear off the back of the block. No big deal as I'm not using that for my mounts. The car also donated a number of parts to the B4 sitting next to it.

The plan of course is to drop the ALH into the Ranger but the kicker is I need to have it ready for a car show at work where we are commemorating the closing of the St Paul assembly plant (for those not in the know Ford Rangers were made in the St Paul Ford plant). Normally I would bring my 55 Chevy but I feel this is a good excuse to spend some time on the Ranger. The race is on to get this truck together in 30 days!!

Once together I intend to do some serious testing of the truck with several stages of performance modifications that will take this truck beyond the stock power levels of any of the original Ford engines.

Stay tuned.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 23:17   #2
curtis75

TDI(s): none, yet

I'm excited to see how this works. I am doing the same swap except in an 02 FX4. I'm not too far into my build yet but I'm sure I'll have some questions for you.
curtis75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 00:37   #3
mlemorie
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2004 Jetta
Fuel Economy: Avg: 43-44

Cool! Not personally a ford man myself, so this is a definite improvement over stock
Old August 2nd, 2012, 04:33   #4
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

good luck with your timeline! wheres the thread about the adapter
Schnurren 2001 Golf 2 door.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:26   #5
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Just so you know, that Ranger's engine is not an interference engine, and a new belt takes all of about 30 minutes. Just sayin'.

But if you do successfully make an adapter to mate the ALH to the Ford 2.0/2.3/2.5L "Pinto" engined Mazda R5 gearbox, let me know and I'll buy a second one from you. I have my dad's old '84 Ranger I could do the swap to. And it is a flatbed with the factory HD suspension, no power steering, and no A/C... perfect work truck.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:36   #6
white95v6
Veteran Member

I was just thinking I would like tdi powered 4x4 ranger.lol now time to watch this thread to.

white95v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:23   #7
JFettig

Looks good Nick, I'll try to have that plate done by Saturday
DIY injector calibration http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=383324
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:14   #8
greengeeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFettig View Post
Looks good Nick, I'll try to have that plate done by Saturday
Thanks Jon. An just to clarify for others this is a MAF delete plate for the Ranger airbox - I already have the adapter made. More on that later.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:21   #9
greengeeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Just so you know, that Ranger's engine is not an interference engine, and a new belt takes all of about 30 minutes. Just sayin'.

But if you do successfully make an adapter to mate the ALH to the Ford 2.0/2.3/2.5L "Pinto" engined Mazda R5 gearbox, let me know and I'll buy a second one from you. I have my dad's old '84 Ranger I could do the swap to. And it is a flatbed with the factory HD suspension, no power steering, and no A/C... perfect work truck.
As if I care what condition the motor is in. All that matters is the previous owner thought the motor was trashed.

I will be selling an adapter in the vendor's section once I've hammered out my supply chain.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:35   #10
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

what oilhammer said ^^.....I've owned a few "pinto" engined fox body cars ....torqueless wonders but no worries about bending valves........your ranger swap is going to be awesome..... with a TDI it will still feel better than a V6 powered truck~!
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:03   #11
curtis75

TDI(s): none, yet

I would be interested in an adapter plate for sure, it should fit the 4.0L I believe as well. I would even be interested in buying the drawing off you if that was easier/quicker.
curtis75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:17   #12
blazen71
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36.6mpg

Good luck!!!! I have a 91 Ranger with 3.0 and 5-speed. One of the most reliable trucks I've had!
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:33   #13
greengeeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
what oilhammer said ^^.....I've owned a few "pinto" engined fox body cars ....torqueless wonders but no worries about bending valves........your ranger swap is going to be awesome..... with a TDI it will still feel better than a V6 powered truck~!
Thanks Jimmy. I'm borrowing a lot of your wiring tricks to on this guy and intend to use the Ranger components, cluster, etc. It will probably mean more work but in the end I think it'll look better and be more durable/weather protected.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:46   #14
greengeeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler View Post
good luck with your timeline! wheres the thread about the adapter
Thanks Aaron. To be honest I've been plugging away at the project for the last 6 months so I don't want anyone to think I'm rolling this in and out of the garage in 30 days. I think if one did their homework and prepped that could be done. I intend to make this build thread as detailed as possible so someone can shave as much time as possible off their Ranger build.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:47   #15
greengeeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis75 View Post
I would be interested in an adapter plate for sure, it should fit the 4.0L I believe as well. I would even be interested in buying the drawing off you if that was easier/quicker.
Sorry Curtis, I'm not selling prints.