www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old July 20th, 2012, 09:37   #1
REEDBR

Default 2006 Jetta TDI BRM Turbo Actuator Replacement

I'm a newbie and hoping i got the correct forum for this question.

I've got a 2006 Jetta TDI engine code BRM, 5 spd manual trans. The entire car turbo and all are stock. I started hearing air/vacuum leak coming from the engine compartment. This was about 1 year after I had major engine repair. I lost two valves, and the camshaft at 117,000 miles then about 150,000 miles this actuator started leaking. The car now has 170,000 miles on it.

Regarding the air/vacuum leak I noticed the car didn't seem to have much power until about 1,800 rpm then you could feel it pull really hard. After the 1,800 rpm range the leak seemed to be less. Upon investigation I could feel air leaking from around the waste gate actuator rod. I looked for a replacement actuator then decided to wait due to the high cost of the turbo and began some searching which is how I found your forum and some threads about the actuators.

I know the engine code is BRM but I have no idea what the turbo is. I'm not even sure if there are multiple manufacturers in 2006 for the turbos. I saw mention of Borg Warner and Garrett in the thread but don't know if that was the turbo or actuator or both.

Anyone know how I can find out which one?

Anyone know how I can find out if the actuator works on vacuum or pressure? I'm kinda thining pressure since I can feel air blowing around the actuator rod.
REEDBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 09:46   #2
DanG144
Veteran Member

Vacuum operated.
At least one person reported fixing an actuator rod seal leak on a BRM on this website. He took it apart and put an oring seal around the shaft.
There are no aftermarket actuators available, sometimes you can find used ones.
DanG144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 20:53   #3
MyAvocation
Veteran Member

If you do an advanced search in this section you'll find that someone recently sourced a replacement CR actuator and even more recently another member successfully implemented it on a BRM. Is much cheaper than a full BRM turbo assembly.

To diagnose your actuator, just put a vacuum pump on it.
Old July 21st, 2012, 02:42   #4
DanG144
Veteran Member

You are correct. I forgot. You can buy and modify the mount for a Common Rail turbo actuator, which are available.

It almost sounded to me as if he was feeling exhaust from this vane control shaft lever.

Perhaps he needs to check to see if he needs to adjust the vane lever stop set screw?

If we knew where Ripley was, we might be able to suggest some local help, or find a VCDS owner that would help out.

I do agree that he needs to do more diagnosis.
DanG144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:31   #5
dieselfuel
Veteran Member

No sure, but Ripley sounds like WV.

df
Old July 26th, 2012, 13:05   #6
Salmonbum

TDI(s): '06 Jetta

I think I need an actuartor on my BRM (202k). I watched the arm and its not moving when throttle is applied. Anyone in Michigan wanna tackle this?
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Home of GMPR, HR Mackinaw's Wild "Wyatt"
Salmonbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 11:02   #7
BioJetta2001

I think I'm having the same problem with my 2006 BRM. I seem not to have any power under 1800 and then I have more power. The cam is already replaced, and has been inspected. Does anyone have a step by step I can follow to test the Vane Actuator with a vacuum pump?

Thank you for your help
BioJetta2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 12:09   #8
scrichy84
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46.2 from the paper and pen.

Have someone start the car and see if the actuator rod pushes down upon car start...if not, then pull the vaccum hose off the actuator and using a vaccum gage, see if you have vaccum with the engine idling. If you do have vaccum, the N75 is good and the actuator is toast. idparts just started selling the actuators last week (they weren't available before that) see link below. Also, with your exhaust is noticably louder if your actuator is toast.

http://idparts.com/catalog/product_i...oducts_id=3218
2006 Pkg. 2 TDI Jetta - BLACK: 2.5 inch straight pipe from cat back, 35% tint, GLI grille w/fogs, Green TDI badge, Monster mats, Gorilla Gear trunk liner, Euro Cupholder, LED Interior Lights, Yakima Roof Rack w/ Cargon Basket, Euro Taillights (Amber Club/Rear Fog), Alligator Custom Chip Tuning!

scrichy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 04:24   #9
FXDL
Veteran Member

Just incase one did not see before posting by scrichy84, idparts just started selling the actuators at a cost of $279.00
FXDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 17:07   #10
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Hissing noise from the engine compartment is commonly a leaking EGR cooler on these cars - not necessarily the turbo.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote