1936 Chevrolet Manufacturing Factory Films

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Nate, Thanks for another great find.

Notice in the last film where the frames are getting something done to them and there are machines moving in and out and the guys are standing in between everything. Certainly not up to todays OSHA standards.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Yes. I saw that. That's pre OSHA.

I had no idea automation was as far advanced as it was in 1936. I saw some robotics action.

Back then America was king of the world. In contrast, I have a book with many pictures of the VW factory in Wolfsburg in action in 1953, a couple of months after VW went from the split rear window to the oval window. The factory floor is very unlevel and lined with bricks like a cobblestone street. It looks at least as old as the 1936 GM factory. In the 1936 GM film, I could see the factory floor smooth and shiny in some shots.

--Nate

Last edited:

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
The automation really impressed me too. To do that with purely mechanical/electrical controls is amazing.

That is about 35 years from when cars started showing up in considerable numbers. That's some rapid progress. Compare today's cars to those 35 years ago. Progress much slower, incremental.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
interesting:
The UAW rapidly found success in organizing with the sit-down strike — first in a General Motors plant in Atlanta, Georgia in 1936, and more famously in the Flint sit-down strike that began on December 29, 1936. That strike ended in February 1937 after Michigan's governor Frank Murphy played the role of mediator, negotiating recognition of the UAW by General Motors. The next month, auto workers at Chrysler won recognition of the UAW as their representative in a sit-down strike.
this film was made around this time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Auto_Workers
It was 1:57 A.M., January 29, 1936.
[SIZE=+0]The tirebuilders worked in smooth frenzy, sweat around their necks, under their arms. the belt clattered, the insufferable racket and in and monotonous clash and uproar went on in steady rhythm. [/SIZE]
http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~rgibson/flintstrike.html

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Watching them hot-forge crankshafts (original post, video#3) by hand is amazing. Kind of incredible that the cars even ran!

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes. I thought that was the most fascinating part of the films too. I watched that segment several times. I now have a very clear picture of what drop forging is! After watching very carefully I determined that the stamping movement never stops its cycle (it is probably difficult to break the stride of the machine), but the operator controls when the stamp press bottoms out and hits the crankshaft being forged. In other words, when the rough crank stamping is being pulled by the worker from one die in the forge to another, it never gets struck (although it looks as if it does) and once the crankshaft is firmly in the next die to be stamped, the worker hits the foot pedal and the forge hammers it into a die again. Also notice how the last hit shaves off a bunch of extra medal as the crankshaft falls through a die.

Now remember, this is a still rough piece when the forging is done. The crankshaft is later ground, balanced, and polished. They show some of this as well.

Then there is a shot of an engine running with coolant and fuel lines hooked up to it and the worker is adjusting the valves when it is running, using no feeler guages, just doing it by feel and sound. You'll also see the engine being checked for unusual noises using the old screwdriver handle to the ear trick.

--Nate

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Just after the crank forging and before the machining, they show the workers hands as he is putting on a glove. Notice the bit of shirt sleeve sticking out. Not only were the working conditions different then, the workers dress was different.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Where are the shop foremen with the whips they used to use to make the employees work faster?

And where are the inebriated, disgruntled workers putting empty whiskey bottles inside the body panels so that customers have permanent rattles that they can't fix?

Last edited:

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
This is really neat:

http://archive.org/details/MasterHa1936

AND

http://archive.org/details/MasterHa1936_2

AND

http://archive.org/details/MasterHa1936_3

AND

http://archive.org/details/MasterHa1936_4

Note the dirty conditions, smoke and lack of protective gear, especially safety glasses.

Enjoy.

--Nate
The industrial might of the USA was (and continues to be) amazing. Keep in mind that these are the same workers and factories that converted to the world's largest war manufacturing machine just a few years later.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Another thing to point out from these films is the racial division of America at that time. It was not clearly shown, but in a way it WAS clearly shown. I didn't see a single black American working on the assembly line, nor any Asians or Hispanics. If there were blacks employed with Chevrolet at the time I'm sure they were janitors or other night cleaning crews. That is one more amazing thing to see how far America has come from those days.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
I was also amazed by the amount of in-house manufacturing that Chevrolet appears to have done in the past. It doesn't say anywhere in the film where the individual bits were filmed but this was obviously in a time when cars were manufactured in a vertically integrated process. i.e. Chevrolet made their own cranks, pistons, engine blocks, springs, axles, etc. In modern times all those parts would be made by different parts suppliers on contract, often with multiple suppliers making batches of the same parts.

Chevrolet still runs engine assembly plants but the engine blocks are cast at a foundry contracted out from GM, rough castings machined at a factory contracted out from GM, and the finished product arriving at the GM engine assembly plants. The pistons maybe come from a different foundry, machined at a different factory. Same with the cranks, connecting rods, etc. The engines arrive wholly assembled for GM to bolt to transmissions (also wholly assembled at other GM factories, from parts that come from multiple different suppliers, etc.) and then the entire drivetrain unit is bolted into a car assembled at a GM factory.

The number of GM employees has thus obviously shrunk because GM simply outsourced all these jobs to different companies inside and outside the USA. You don't see the hot, dirty jobs done at a modern automobile assembly plant simply because they took those jobs and moved them elsewhere. I don't know if they did that to be flexible & competitive, but I'm sure that reducing the number of employees with high UAW wage scales had something to do with it. I worked for a parts supplier for Mitsubishi Motors North America and I can tell you I wasn't getting $23 an hour like the UAW guys on the line were earning.

Last edited:

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
MrMopar- to add to your point about vertical integration, one of the first shots shows a large alternator starting, probably driven by a big diesel engine. So not only did they make their own parts, but they made their own electricity as well.

Edit: About 3:50 on first clip. That's a big direct drive alternator. Seems to start too fast to be steam driven, although the preceding shots show them firing a boiler. In that era, diesel powerplants were quite popular.

Last edited:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Where are the shop foremen with the whips they used to use to make the employees work faster?

And where are the inebriated, disgruntled workers putting empty whiskey bottles inside the body panels so that customers have permanent rattles that they can't fix?
I bet the workers were threatened with being fired if this happened. Its a public relations film, so act your best.

Funny you should mention the liquor bottle placed in the car body by an automotive assembly worker. In the 1970s a high school friend's dad told me he bought a new car and there was this rattle that no one could pinpoint, but it eminated from the fender area. Finally a mechanic found it. An empty liquor bottle was in between two panels and the bottle had a short note in it saying something to the effect "I bet it took you a real long time to find this bottle".

--Nate

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Funny you should mention the liquor bottle placed in the car body by an automotive assembly worker. In the 1970s a high school friend's dad told me he bought a new car and there was this rattle that no one could pinpoint, but it eminated from the fender area. Finally a mechanic found it. An empty liquor bottle was in between two panels and the bottle had a short note in it saying something to the effect "I bet it took you a real long time to find this bottle".
Yeah, a friend's dad told you that . . .

http://www.snopes.com/autos/grace/rattle.asp

It's an urban legend. That's what I was hinting at with my commentary.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I remember hearing that story as a kid , but back then it was a coke bottle....no note....and always a friend of friend.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The first thing that really struck me was lighting the biolers and smelters with a match and rag by hand.

As for the VW Wolfsburg plant in 53, it might not have been fully rebuilt from the war. The company I work for had a small city of employees at a large chemical plant in central Germany. By the end of 44, only two buildings were left standing. Fast forward 70 years and that same plant now covers over 1700 acres.

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I enjoyed the sand casting process. I can't believe how labor intensive that operation was. Those guys must have had some tired hands at the end of each day. I don't think you could find too many people to do that job today.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I enjoyed the sand casting process. I can't believe how labor intensive that operation was. Those guys must have had some tired hands at the end of each day. I don't think you could find too many people to do that job today.
It's all been automated in the name of speed and safety at the expense of semi-skilled workers. Although there are places that still do a lot of it by hand. I toured the Kohler bath fixtures factory a few years ago. They still do a lot of sand casting for the cast iron tubs and sinks with most of it still done by hand. I was amazed at how far into the plant they let you tour.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
I don't think you could find too many people to do that job today.
We've made things too "soft" to be unemployed in modern times. If you throw a man overboard he learns to swim quickly. Same goes for the 10% unemployed. There ARE people who will do that work if we give them the option out of poverty that way.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes. And what you saw was per each piece, since the mold was used once and broken away from the part (block) when done. This is one big reason cars were so expensive 50+ years ago. Extremely labor intensive operations. At the very beginning the narator stated that 5 million workers crafted motor cars for the 25 million drivers in the United States. 5 million workers. That is a huge number for the number of cars produced.

I also noticed how dirty the workers were. I can't imagine the working environment was healthy and conducive to a long life.

--Nate

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
This is one big reason cars were so expensive 50+ years ago.
Cars weren't all that expensive back then. According to ads in Life and Popular Science, you could get a new 1937:

Nash LaFayette 400 for $595 ($9,482 in today's money).
Nash Ambassador for $755 ($12,032 today).
Hudson was $695 ($11,075 today).
Studebakers were $665 ($10,597 today).
LaSalle (the baby Cadillac) was only $1,095 ($17,450 today).
Oldsmobile (1936) was only $665 ($10,597 today).

(Click here to get a bigger view)

I've also found that the average GM worker in 1936 made between $1,000 and $1,500 per year (depending on the source), and that equates to $16,509 to $24,763 in today's money. This was before the famous sit-down strike in Dec. 1936 and the formation of the UAW at GM in 1937.

Last edited:

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
I also noticed how dirty the workers were. I can't imagine the working environment was healthy and conducive to a long life.
Dude, life in 1936 wasn't healthy and conducive to a long life. Social Security payments started at age 65 when average life expectancy was 63! You were expected to work until 55-60, retire and then have the common courtesy to DIE in a few years rather than linger for 30+ years with other taxpayers supporting you.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dude, life in 1936 wasn't healthy and conducive to a long life. Social Security payments started at age 65 when average life expectancy was 63! You were expected to work until 55-60, retire and then have the common courtesy to DIE in a few years rather than linger for 30+ years with other taxpayers supporting you.
Social Security program did not start paying until 1937. It was part of FDR's new deal and an effort to keep retired white men out of poverty. Changes through the decades now include all races and both sexes but there is still an inequality between husband and wife payouts.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
At the very beginning the narator stated that 5 million workers crafted motor cars for the 25 million drivers in the United States. 5 million workers. That is a huge number for the number of cars produced.
If there were 25 million drivers we can probably take a wild guess that there were 5 million cars a year sold each year if a car lasted about 5 years before it was used up and junked. That's a wild guess . . .

So each worker produced about one car a year if we divide total car production over total workers.

How many people work in the "automobile production industry" now? Remember, stuff that used to be in-house is now outsourced, so guys at a foundry casting pistons or engine blocks count. By total, I mean even the guys out there making plastic door panel moldings like I used to do.

If we now sell 12 million cars a year in the USA, is it a stretch to say there are 12 million people manufacturing cars? I don't think so . . .

We also build a lot of cars for export, so efficiency gains in production mean we can make more than we used to do.