BLS engine non starter ???

cymroboi

TDI
vw caddy 1.9 tdi pd
vw caddy BLS engine non starter ???

hi all my name is keith and im new to this forum...
my old man has a 57 reg vw caddy with the 1.9 pd bls engine ,hes been having some starting issues over the last few months ,may be today it will fire up all day and may be tomorrow shell crank over a bit before she starts this happens hot or cold ,but last few days of last week she went worse ,finaly on sturday she packed up ,she will cranck over but no rpm signal ,ive checked with my works scanner (snap on solus and the texa axone 3) im a mechanic by trade .. large vehicles.. i was getting cam sensor coming up every time but on saturday no fault code so ive changed the cam sensor ,no different ,so i decided to change the crank sensor WHAT A BOL*****KS OF A JOB but still the same ,and still showing no rpm signal on the live data ??? any one here had a similar problem ,and could it be the crank seal not giving off ,the signal to the sensor ???? could you please help !!!!!

oh and i run a 2002 passat 1.9 tdi 130 my self

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Well sir. If the BLS is a PD engine, then there is a special tool and procedure needed to get the crank sensor correct. Not sure, but I suspect that if the crank sensor is far enough out, then ECU will consider it's input bogus and won't recognize it.

When I did the clutch on my BRM, I thought I would do the right thing and change the crank seal, as well. I read the procedure for changing it and the procedure scared me so bad and also because the crank seal was not leaking, I let lying dogs lie and did not change the crank seal.:eek:

cymroboi

TDI
vw caddy 1.9 tdi pd
thanks DPM and ol'rattle for the replys ,i took a few hours of head battering and had one of my workmate under the bonnet and started to trace the wiring back to the ecu to check for contanuity (sry if its spellt wrong ) and guess what i found !!!!!!!!!:eek::eek:
the wiring loom tha runs from the engine to the body/fusebox/ecu in the corigated plastic trunking where its cliped to the gearbox under the air box ,the clips wher so tight that they had squeezed the plastic trunking and broke 3 wires in the loom and guess what the where for the crank and cam sensor ,how lucky were we to find these !!!!:D:D

here are a couple of photos....

the photos arnt the best but they give you a rought idea of where they are ....