www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old June 29th, 2012, 07:31   #1
Dana B

TDI(s): 2003
Default Keith Harley of KMH Motors

Keith thank you for the great job you did on our jetta tdi the dealer could not find the problem 'you spent 10 min. on it and found the problem and fixed it. I am so glad we found the tdi club and the mechanics your the best!!! I was wondering for cleaning the fuel injectors what product would you suggest to clean them? Thank you again for the great service and professionalism. Dana B
Dana B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 05:07   #2
k_harley

Wow, just found this by accident, glad to hear I was able to save the day (and the TDI).

I like seafoam for fuel system cleaner for the older TDI's personally.
k_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 05:11   #3
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Good job! I love happy endings!
Old May 1st, 2013, 12:56   #4
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

Which problem was fixed? Was it the gelled fuel or the MAF?
JB05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 18:21   #5
k_harley

IIRC, I think this guy had a turbo replaced to fix an underboost problem by dealer or other independent shop. Well, still no boost....

What I found in my highly productive 10 mins I spent diagnosing it is that it did not have any vacuum to the turbo...or other items in the engine bay.

I knew what this was. Got my thin dentist pick, pulled the small hose off the brake booster nipple and let her have it.

The small nipple on the boost was clogged with rust particles and dirt that most likely was sucked in by the failing vnt on the old turbo.

yay!
Old June 27th, 2013, 20:44   #6
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (664k miles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_harley View Post
IIRC, I think this guy had a turbo replaced to fix an underboost problem by dealer or other independent shop. Well, still no boost....

What I found in my highly productive 10 mins I spent diagnosing it is that it did not have any vacuum to the turbo...or other items in the engine bay.

I knew what this was. Got my thin dentist pick, pulled the small hose off the brake booster nipple and let her have it.

The small nipple on the boost was clogged with rust particles and dirt that most likely was sucked in by the failing vnt on the old turbo.

yay!
Shouldn't the weak brakes have been a clue for the dealer techs? Even if they didn't know much about TDIs?
'03 Golf with 664k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilsteins, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Pirellis, TDT/Delvac1
Like TDICLUB? Have PAYPAL? Then thank Fred with $1 or $5 or $10 TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 20:31   #7
k_harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoRed View Post
Shouldn't the weak brakes have been a clue for the dealer techs? Even if they didn't know much about TDIs?
No, brake booster is fed by main hose, not nipple going to N75, N18, etc.
Old August 11th, 2013, 17:31   #8
TDI love

TDI(s): 02 Jetta

The best way to clean the fuel injectors is to use biodiesel. Biodiesel is a natural solvent that cleans the entire fuel system. It removes gunks and clogs created by impurities in diesel. Before biodiesel was sold as a fuel, it was sold as cleaning agent to mix with diesel. The scientific name for biodiesel is methyl esters which is a natural solvent.

You can mix any quantity of biodiesel to your diesel. The higher the better. Make sure you have an extra fuel filter because all the gunk that it unclogs gets filtered in the fuel filter. So eventually you will have to change the fuel filter. You can get biodiesel at almost any major city. Just do a search.

In Houston, biodiesel is about $0.25 cheaper than gas! Yes gas! So I rather just fuel my car with biodiesel as it cleans my engine and I save money!

Biodiesel also burns much cleaner than diesel.

Last edited by TDI love; August 11th, 2013 at 17:42.
TDI love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 17:40   #9
TDI love

TDI(s): 02 Jetta

I thought I should also warn you that if you have been running diesel in your car for 100,000 or more, your intake manifold is clogged with a thick build up of soot from the petroleum residue. At 100,000 miles your car is due for a regular maintenance of cleaning this crap. However, if you use biodiesel it cleans the manifold of this thick nasty gunk.

Many times people bypass the EGR because of this. Using 100% biodiesel prevents this.

The downside is that if you been running over 100,000 miles with diesel and just started using B100 (100% biodiesel) it will clean the intake manifold and leave a nasty gunk, dissolved as oil in the intercooler. Your car may start choking and become difficult to start. To fix this, just undo the right front tire and find the tubes leading to the intercooler. Disconnect the tube and collect the nasty oil that collects from the cleaning of the intake manifold. Do this at least once a month until you find no more collection of oil.

This cost me $1000 to clean manifold then another $600 to find the collection of oil in the intercooler from the cleaning from the B100.

Last edited by TDI love; August 11th, 2013 at 17:44.
TDI love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 17:55   #10
coolvdub
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54.7 Best so far

Please help me understand how bio diesel cleans the intake manifold. I thought it was a dry manifold. Correct me if I am wrong. Just thinking out loud right now.
Old August 11th, 2013, 17:59   #11
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI love View Post
I thought I should also warn you that if you have been running diesel in your car for 100,000 or more, your intake manifold is clogged with a thick build up of soot from the petroleum residue. At 100,000 miles your car is due for a regular maintenance of cleaning this crap. However, if you use biodiesel it cleans the manifold of this thick nasty gunk.

Many times people bypass the EGR because of this. Using 100% biodiesel prevents this.

The downside is that if you been running over 100,000 miles with diesel and just started using B100 (100% biodiesel) it will clean the intake manifold and leave a nasty gunk, dissolved as oil in the intercooler. Your car may start choking and become difficult to start. To fix this, just undo the right front tire and find the tubes leading to the intercooler. Disconnect the tube and collect the nasty oil that collects from the cleaning of the intake manifold. Do this at least once a month until you find no more collection of oil.

This cost me $1000 to clean manifold then another $600 to find the collection of oil in the intercooler from the cleaning from the B100.
No offense, but you need to do a little research on how this stuff actually works so you can avoid being ripped off in the future. $1000 to clean a manifold is ridiculous and $600 for an intercooler cleaning is nothing short of highway robbery. I really hope whoever did this work is not on the TDIClub Trusted Mechanics list.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 18:07   #12
roadhard1960
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48 mpg

I agree with VeeDubTDI. Intake manifold is the last thing before air gets in the head. The intercooler is 3 feet before that and downstream. Oil in the intercooler comes from leaky turbo and crankcase vent. Some say driving car hard once in a while blows that oil out of the intercooler.

Another by the way observation from others. The low sulfur diesel seems to eliminate intake manifold clogging. It will not clean dirty manifolds just as B100 will not clean an intake but it will not contribute to increased deposits.
2003 Jetta wagon GLS, 5 Speed, Alligator tune, 34 psi tire pressure, 49.1 US mpg first 35k, 50 next 31.5k, 50.4 next 36k miles, cleaned intake twice and polished end runners last time, Mobil Truck & SUV or Delvac. Koni FSDs, VWs since 1977. Sprint 520 Nozzles for Christmas 2007. Ecodes with fogs and Eswitch. 505,000 miles and counting, original turbo. 2004 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO.
roadhard1960 is offline   Reply With Quote