www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old June 28th, 2012, 15:56   #1
wilcharl
Veteran Member

Default A/C overcharge after intercooler "fix"

Had the revised intercooler replaced and thought my car was not cooling as well as it should.

I went into VCDS and found the below...

35.0 °C Outside air temperature internally calculated 007
41.5 °C Outside air temperature 008
29.7 °C Footwell vent temperature 009
15.0 °C Center vent temperature - (instrument panel; driver side) 010
32.8 °C Interior temperature 015
14.4 bar Refrigerant pressure 016

Looking at a R134A temp/pressure chart the outside temperature must be all the way up to 55 degrees C or 131 degrees outside for the pressure to be that high.

Am I looking at the right #(Group 16) in VCDS and if so did they overcharge it?

Thanks all!
wilcharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 15:59   #2
Softrockrenegade
Veteran Member

Why would your a/c have anything to do with your intercooler ? Afaik they are completely different systems ...
Old June 28th, 2012, 16:07   #3
wilcharl
Veteran Member

To replace the intercooler, they have to drain the radiator , and evacuate the air conditioner before they pull the front off the car as part of the TSB. I think when they recharged it , they went overboard on the charge.
wilcharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 17:16   #4
Softrockrenegade
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilcharl View Post
To replace the intercooler, they have to drain the radiator , and evacuate the air conditioner before they pull the front off the car as part of the TSB. I think when they recharged it , they went overboard on the charge.

I stand corrected
Old June 28th, 2012, 18:42   #5
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

No need to over think it. Just go back and tell them they must have done something wrong when they recharged the A/C because now the A/C is not cooling as well as it did before they worked on it.

Maybe someone will chime in on what your VCDS readings mean.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 19:53   #6
Plus 3 Golfer
Veteran Member

Your center vent temperature is too high. It should be near 7*C (45*F) within a minute or so of turning the a/c on (I think fan speed should be on high).

Temperature of a/c components affect pressure. So, underhood components could be higher than ambient maybe as high as 55*C. Best would be to let everything reach ambient and then take your measurements after one minute of running the a/c. Then, if your center vent temp isn't near 45F, something is not right. I would do this before you take it into dealer because they may run their tests and say everything is okay.

Also, the best way to get the correct charge is by weight. Dealer should evaculate and then add appropriate refrigerant by weight. Also, I would think that if pressue were too high, you would have a DTC. So, if the dealer say everything is okay insist they evaculate and add refrigerant by weight if your center vent temp is too high.
Plus 3 Golfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 09:17   #7
740GLE
Veteran Member

well at least they reinstalled your HP lines correctly. My dealership reinstalled recharged and the hose vs belt lasted about 10 miles before it blew. I couldn't tell anything was wrong until 4 days later it was rainy and I wanted to defog, and had no cold air.

FYI my center vents stay right at 40F (the meat thermometer fits perfectly in the vent) once the AC is running and recirc is on. Saddly the black interior soaks up more than the AC can spit out if the cabins heat soaked.

"Whole new generation Passat will work with you to create outstanding new classic, defining a new pattern!"
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:52   #8
TDIinMA
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41.4

Was this ever resolved? I had the Intercooler "fix" installed recently and have since lost AC (During a heat wave! )

I called the dealer and made an appt to come in, telling them that this may () have occurred when they drained the AC to do the work and they claim they don't drain the AC or cooling system to install this (?)

Last edited by TDIinMA; July 2nd, 2012 at 06:56.
TDIinMA is offline   Reply With Quote