www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old June 21st, 2012, 04:02   #1
1gunther1
Veteran Member

Default 2013 Volkswagen Passat Alltrack

Any idea if VW is bringing this to the USA?? This would be ideal for my needs for a repalcement for my Outback!
1gunther1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 04:41   #2
r11
Veteran Member

rumor has it they are afraid of affecting Audi sales, so not likely.

I say - take the oil burning '12/13 Passat, turn it into wagon, raise the clearance by 3-4", throw in on-demand/on-request transfer box and sell 1M of them, at U$35K.

We'd still get something like 45MPG Hwy, as opposed to 50 we're getting with Passat, due to added weight of rear diff, transfer box, prop shafts. One can dream ...
r11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 05:28   #3
1gunther1
Veteran Member

I hear you on the Audi thing. But they don't offer a TDI for the USA only ROW
1gunther1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 07:57   #4
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

...but the diesel Audis are coming soon!!...pricey, as well...
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 12:03   #5
Hintertux
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42

If they bring a Passat Alltrack TDI to the states I am buying one...
Hintertux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 12:39   #6
usarmy132
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 Passat

Wow I like it. Will consider a trade.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 13:33   #7
Rico567
Veteran Member

Well, apart from the usual "Unobtainium Effect" engendered by things like this, as I understand it the European Passats, including this one, are a different car from the B7 being manufactured in Chattanooga and sold in the U.S. So- no.*

*And it was already mentioned previously in this thread that VW Grüppe is chary of having the VW line compete with Audi. The same thing applies to having what is to some extent a different product overlapping and competing with one already being sold. And the Euro Passat would be that.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 14:10   #8
scurvy
Good Ol' Boy

TDI(s): 2006 Golf
Fuel Economy:

Hrm, I looked at some pictures of the car... I could be mistaken, but it appears to have conventional wheels & tires for propulsion. How is this an alltrack again?
scurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:52   #9
Hintertux
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42

Anyone think if we inundate VW America with requests for the AllTrack Passat TDI they may reconsider and bring the TDI to VW America at least.. Who cares about the gasser

http://blogs.vw.com/conceptcars/2012...-ny-auto-show/

So log in and give it to them..

Last edited by Hintertux; July 3rd, 2012 at 09:07.
Hintertux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 13:07   #10
joem

Default I would be the first in line if.....

The VW Alltrack would be a car that will get me away from Subarus here in the Saltbelt/Snowbelt of the U.S. and allot of the other owners of Subarus I know. The Toureg is just too much fluff. The Tiguan short real style, passenger space for more than 5, seems cheap and lets face it, it just does nothing for me. i emailed VW and they said there is absolutely no plans to bring this ALLTRACK to the states. But if we all emailed them and told them we want the AWD,TDI version we may get it. so state writing!

The Passat's lack of a wagon, 4Motion and low ground clearance keeps the Subaru's in this region King of the Road. There lack of importing a Diesel/TDI is hurting them here and no one wants the Hybrids here since the AWD's Hybrids don't do well in MPG's to offset the additional cost. I would rether get 45 MPG and the TDI's simplicity vs. 50-60 MPG and all the weight and complicated electronics that go with it.

I have 8.7"s of ground clearance, AWD and in a Limited all the ergonomic useful options one really needs. When you need to leave my home it is a 100' in 900 running foot desent and 500' 1 mile decent to the State Highway. Nearly half of the cars are a Subies because the roads are not plower at times. There is a big market here if it is priced right with a wagon, diesel and AWD. Even just one off center jump seat in the back would help a whole lot. If they leave one of those variables out they will not sell.

I would by a Sport wagon TDI but it is too small and no AWD option. Studded tire would work but it is too low to the ground when the roads are not plowed which is quite often when my wife leaves at 6am.

Bottom Live VW Bring in the ALLTRACK TDI and keep the Hybrids. If you must import the Hybrids make sure it is AWD. I would be the first in line!
joem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 13:24   #11
yesmar

^how about a q5tdi or the glk bluetech. They will both be in the 2014 line up. The glk will be sub 40 and I can't see anyone willing to spend more for the q5. The allroad is a disappointment to Audi enthusiast compared to the previous allroad, and was just a bad replacement for the a4 avant to suit the united states market. I can't see vw bringing the alltrack state side as vag seems to be pushing the crossover trend on us over a badass wagon. I hope I am wrong

Coilovers , studded tires on a jsw?
yesmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 13:26   #12
joem

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmar View Post

Coilovers , studded tires on a jsw?
YESMAR, Was that for me? If so I don't understand.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 13:34   #13
yesmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
YESMAR, Was that for me? If so I don't understand.
Yes. I'm just thinking it would be possible to crank some coilovers up to a high setting and put a panzer skid plate under it and throw some studded tires on the front wheels. . I'm just rattling off suggestions for tdi, wagon, traction, underside protection, ground clearance. As I don't see the alltrack coming state side.
Also the tdiq5 or glk diesel might fit what you are looking for.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 14:06   #14
joem

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmar View Post
\.
Also the tdiq5 or glk diesel might fit what you are looking for.
you talking about the Audi Q5 and the Benz GLK? If so both name brands are higher priced. Let face it the salt here sucks and you need to change vehicle often. Also both lack real wagon room.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 14:20   #15
yesmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
you talking about the Audi Q5 and the Benz GLK? If so both name brands are higher priced. Let face it the salt here sucks and you need to change vehicle often. Also both lack real wagon room.
I understand what you are talking about room wise, but don't let the company brand fool you. We are talking about 38k base price for a 4matic 7speed auto trans bolted to a 2.1turbo diesel engine. It was just an example off the top of my head.

Don't get me wrong I would love a tdi passat alltrack.