What is normal oil pressure for a 2000 1.9 ALH?

vwdieseling

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, more bugs
I installed my gauges this last weekend. My oil pressure seems really low. It might be the gauge, but I'm not sure. I might replace connecting rod bearings to see if that will help. I just hope its not the oil pump. Its got a 180,000 hard miles, I am restoring just about everything. With trying to performance the costs have hit the roof. The previous owners drove it into the ground, I got it cheap though. I love VWS. (This car been a project.)

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Bentley manual says it should be between 29 and 103 psi @2K rpm

deadend9009

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
Tell us whats wrong first. What are your readings? Is your engine behaving weird? Don't replace the bearings yet, they might have nothing to do with the problem.

vwdieseling

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, more bugs
At idle it is about 10PSI according to gauge. I'm going to double check at 2000 rpms. I will post. If its too low I'm pulling the pan, I ordered Glyco connecting rod bearings and pan gasket. Purhaps a spun bearing. I still don't trust the gauge. I used the VDO fitting and have the stock sending unit screwed into the top and gauge fitting in the front. The gauge is a New South sold by ECSTunning. I was thinking that purhaps the stock sending unit on top is threaded to deep. I will post in a few after start up. No oil pressure idiot light or anything.

Last edited:

vwdieseling

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, more bugs
Its 24 PSI at 2000 rpms when oil is warm. Oil is at proper level. No oil pressure light from stock unit. I ordered the bearings and gasket. I'll try that, I get leary with all the high miles. Compression is great though. I don't wanna replace the pump if I can help it

Last edited:

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
NEVER go by a dash type gauge! they are not accurate, nor even calibrated. they are for reference only. go and buy/borrow an actual oil pressure tester/gauge and see what that says.
FWIW i also have the NS gauge and it shows about 8 at idle, and 30-35 at 2k and i'm not worried. for one thing, the original oil sensor did not trip before the gauges went in.
BTW, my bentley shows 36psi minimum at 2000 rpm.

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Honestly not sure why you're laughing. Thers a low and a high spec. Every car is like this, though not all companies spec a max pressure

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Honestly not sure why you're laughing.
2X.

Earlier manuals used to just quote a minimum pressure at XX temperature and RPM...but there is such a thing as pressure that's too high due to a stuck regulator etc... so they now quote that as well. :)