www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old June 12th, 2012, 19:47   #1
firehawk618
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: unknown, will track on fuelly
Default Replaced my A/C compressor clutch WITHOUT pulling the compressor.

I recently acquired my car and right away noticed that part of the air conditioning compressor was missing. The nut had been lost off the hub which caused part of the clutch to disappear.

I ordered a new clutch assembly on ebay and I must say it's top notch. It sure appears to be OEM and even has vw cast into the electrical connector for the coil.

I managed to replace this without removing the compressor.

All I did was jack the car up, my whole plastic belly pan has been missing so I didn't have to remove that but most of you will.

Grabbed some c-clip pliers and removed the clip that retains the bearing / pulley. Next took 2 long screwdrivers and carefully worked the pulley back and forth and it came off fairly easy.

Next: removed the c clip holding the coil to the compressor and slid it off.

Just do the opposite to re-install.

I honestly don't see where the issue is with space? I can see there being an issue if you end up using a puller but mine came off pretty easy. Gentle back and forth with the 2 screwdrivers.

A/C works great! I was hoping the fan module and charge were good. Today I found out they were.
firehawk618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:02   #2
Nutsnbolts

Fuel Economy: Average is about 47 now (2010)

The hardest part for most is finding a set of snap ring pliers that will work in that space. Most 90 degree pliers don't have a deep enough reach to get to the snap ring.

Well done!

-Rich

2000 Jetta, M1TDT since 20K, RC2, PP520s, W8 panel, front/rear fogs, Pseat w/mem. Other cars:1968 Chrysler 300 2dr HT
Nutsnbolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 13:28   #3
firehawk618
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: unknown, will track on fuelly

Edit:

I didn't realize it had to be shimmed. Today I heard a funny noise and noticed the clutch was turning even though my A/C was off.

I pull off the clutch hub and it had been HOT!!!

I cleaned it up, shimmed it and ran A/C for 1/2 hour, so far all is good.

Beware, you must shim the hub.
firehawk618 is offline   Reply With Quote