www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old June 12th, 2012, 04:59   #1
MPM17

Default Adding aux. input to factory radio

My car is an 2006. Has no sunroof, no amp under the seat so I'm guessing base model stereo. What is the easiest way I can add an aux. input to the stereo whether its replacing the factory unit with a newer model or aftermarket stereo or some type of adapter, etc..... Trying to keep the price under $300 if I get a new(or used) stereo, less than $80 if some type of adapter.

I did search but turned up more items about upgrading the factory amp. Thanks in advance.
MPM17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 13:49   #2
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Coming soon

Can you post (or find a pic) of your exact radio?

There were a couple of radios used during that time frame. Some which do allow for AUX input, some which do not.

If I remember correctly, there is the base Premium 7 radio, which is a single CD unit. It has 3 big buttons on each side of the single line basic text LCD screen, 5 small round buttons for FM, AM, CD, < and >, plus 4 bigger buttons below that for BASS, TREBLE, BAL, and FADE. This does not have an AUX input.

Then there was 2 versions of the upgraded Premium 7. Why it has the same name, I do not know. It is completely different. It has a built in 6 disc changer. It has 4 buttons on the Left of the screen, 2 larger buttons on the right, 6 buttons below the screen, and 5 knobs below the buttons.

The first version is the all black button version. The button left button should say MIX. If it does, This radio does not support an AUX in.

The second version is a Silver Button Version. This version will have a SAT button on the bottom left. This radio DOES support an AUX in. This is the one you want.
Old June 12th, 2012, 14:13   #3
CARTMATT
Veteran Member

I have the SAT radio in 2006 . How can Aux be added to it? Id love to hook up MP3 or Ipod!
Old June 12th, 2012, 18:52   #4
MPM17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixmy59bug View Post
The second version is a Silver Button Version. This version will have a SAT button on the bottom left. This radio DOES support an AUX in. This is the one you want.

This is the one I have. Silver buttons except mine says MIX on the lower left button instead of SAT. I got the pic off google.
Old June 12th, 2012, 21:22   #5
MkVer
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Low/Mid 40's @ 7000ft MSL

This link should solve some questions.

http://enfigcarstereo.com/blog/2009/...bit-2006-2010/

I purchased a USA Spec PA11-VW6 auxiliary input unit. Relatively easy to install and now my factory radio controls my ipod, as well as having another headphone input jack.

As long as your radio/car had the option for an external 6 disc changer (in addition to the 6 in the head unit) you're good to go.
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:51   #6
MPM17

Thanks FixMy and MkVer. Ordering the part today.
Old June 18th, 2012, 14:45   #7
CARTMATT
Veteran Member

Has anyone tried the $10 plug on ebay? Its just the blue end that goes into back of stereo where SAT was and has male MP3 to plug into top of phone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5MM-AUX-IN...15596500295664
Old June 19th, 2012, 20:53   #8
06silverjetta

TDI(s): Mk5 Jetta

There is a YouTube link where a guy soldered the aux cable into the satellite radio receiver. Just the cost of the iron and cable.
Should be all less than 20$.
06silverjetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 09:19   #9
PappyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silverjetta View Post
There is a YouTube link where a guy soldered the aux cable into the satellite radio receiver. Just the cost of the iron and cable.
Should be all less than 20$.
I have a 2006 with sat button on the radio. The receiver is inthe trunk, right side up underneath the back window deck. All the wires are in plain view.

What I did was cut the two output wires that send the audio to the radio in front. I left the wires about 6 inches long, in case I should ever want to listen to sat radio again. (probably not!)

Then I connected a 3 wire el cheapo shielded audio wire to the 2 6 inch output wires that I had previously cut. Connected the remaining wire on the audio cable to a big screw on the receiver box as a ground. No soldering, I used the little pinch crimp connectors. So far a year with no problems. Check the radio balance before you do the final connection.

Run your cable up to the front however you want. I didn't get too fancy and just tucked it in nooks and crannys, etc. The final end I connected an MP3
male jack. Now select "sat" on the radio and plug in the MP3, iPhone, etc.

This sounds harder than it really was. I listen to Pandora, podcasts, etc.
Cost was about $20- mostly for the cable.